Old April 10th, 2010, 07:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

clmallow is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Email Log Failure on WNDR3300

All:

This is my first post here, so please forgive me if I fail to include something that I should in my original post. (And please allow me to state that I am a novice user...I don't understand all the technical aspects of things, but if you give me step-by-step instructions, I can certainly follow them easily enough. Keeping this in mind, on with my issue(s)...)

(1) I have activated the Blocking feature of my WNDR3300 wireless router. There are several computers and phones that access this router, and I have already designated static IP addresses for devices that I wish to not constantly change (for the purposes of having a Trusted IP address without constantly having to go back in & update this Trusted address every time the IP address for a machine changes). I would like to be notified whenever someone tries to access a blocked site or domain, I've enabled this feature in the Email settings, but I test machines that are not to be able to access certain things to intentionally create a log, and everywhere an access has been restricted and it attempts to send an email (through my gmail account, the only one I have), it reports an error that says,

"[email failed] Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 23sm1497438qyk.3, Saturday, Apr 10,2010 11:17:59"

I've made sure to adjust settings in my email account through MS Outlook 2007 to reflect the following:

Incoming Mail Server (POP3): 995
Ticked checkbox for "This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)"
Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): 465
"Use the following type of encrypted connection:" TLS

I can send/receive emails just fine from every computer or phone connected wirelessly or wired to the router, so I am confident the email settings themselves are just fine. So why is the WNDR3300 failing to initiate a STARTTLS command to send the log email whenever an access violation has occurred?

(2) I am wanting to somehow manage to wirelessly bridge two different wireless routers together, sort of a repeater system, by having the NetGear WNDR3300 and my ancient Network Everywhere NWR11B "speak" to each other. The NetGear is (and will continue to be) connected directly to the cable modem in my house. I would like to plug in the Network Everywhere router in my In-Laws' house next door (almost 2 acres away from our house) so that my elderly mother-in-law can access the internet on the laptop we gave her more consistently than she can now. With where she uses the computer, we have to put the NetGear router in a direct-facing window aimed towards their house so she can pick up even the slightest bit of signal, which isn't consistent. And with the sun shining on the router, it gets INCREDIBLY hot during the day, and I'm sure it will damage it. We actually take the router down during the day and don't put it back in the window until nightfall, and this unfortunately restricts Mom's access to the 'net to nights-only. So I'm hoping there's a way to utilize the old Network Everywhere router in their home to pick up on the signal being broadcast from the NetGear router in our home, and carry the signal throughout their home. I've tried doing some reading about WPS, and what I've read so far states that both routers have to support this, but I have no idea how to find out if the Network Everywhere router has this ability or not (I'm guessing since I've had it for years that it does not?) and what I can do to effectively implement what we're trying to do here. Ideas? Suggestions? We are trying to do this as inexpensively as possible, and attempt to utilize technology/equipment we already own versus having to go out & buy more if it can be avoided.

I hope I have been clear on my issues, and I welcome everyone's feedback in regards to both issues, if possible. I look forward to any and all responses.

Thanks very much.

Christopher
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:46 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Email Log Failure on WNDR3300

logging feature in in the router only uses port 25
Old April 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Okay, great, that's one piece of the puzzle. Now how do I get that to work with my email, since it uses a different port, obviously? And what about the other issue? Just telling me that the email log feature uses Port 25 really didn't tell me anything useful.
Old April 10th, 2010, 02:33 PM

will not work with gmail ports period.

you have find other mail server uses port 25 such as ISP mail server
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

So I cannot resolve this issue unless I use a totally different mail client? Is anyone familiar with one that does use Port 25?

And what of "linking" or bridging the two different wireless adaptors together? Possible or no?

Thanks,

Chris
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:50 AM

you can continue to use your gmail for your email but for router to send the log it needs port 25 mail server
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:32 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have yet to see anyone try to offer advice on Issue 2 in my original post. I'm not understanding why.
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmallow View Post
I have yet to see anyone try to offer advice on Issue 2 in my original post. I'm not understanding why.
that is posted and answered

http://www.unix.ms/netgear/

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2612
you will find below

How to Connect WNHDE111 and WNDR3300 using WPS PIN method?
Connecting WNHDE111 to WNDR3300 using WPS and more
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:40 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmallow View Post
No one is required to answer.

An acre is a unit of area, not distance, what is the distance?

It is unlikely that without using directional antennae you will achieve what you want to do effectively. Is it not possible to run an Ethernet cable between the buildings?

My name is Andy.
Old April 16th, 2010, 08:45 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Andy:

The distance between the two houses is approximately 150 yeards, thus making it very impractical to run an ethernet cable between them. Additionally, I completely understand that no one is "required to answer," but it looked as if that section of my question was being totally ignored. I was uncertain as to whether I was even allowed to ask two questions in one post, so I wondered if that was perhaps why no one was trying to assist with this process.

I understand moderators and readers have a lot of posts to go through and try to answer when possible, but I came here with the understanding that this was a vast forum with (most) people far more knowledgable about things like this than myself, which was my sole purpose for joining: to try to get some assistance with issues I've faced on a consistent basis.

I mean no disrespect towards any of the members, moderators or otherwise in this forum.

Now that the distance between houses question is answered (I realize, as well, that an acre is a measure of area, not distance...but I thought it would provide a general idea how far apart our houses are), I hope someone has a suggestion about how I can go about using my old 802.11b Network Everywhere router and my new NetGear 802.11G/N router to extend the range between the two houses.

Thanks in advance,

Chris