Old April 17th, 2010, 10:32 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

secue is on a distinguished road
Question Poor quality video when streaming from pc?

Hi,

I just got a eva2000 recently. Firstly, have to say i am really impressed with how easy it is to use...and i love all the internet based video features.

However, i am finding that video streamed over a wired connection doesn't appear to be 'great' quality...when streaming from the hard drive on my pc.

I'm running windows 7, i have the latest version of windows media player, and the wired connection i am running, is over two 'homeplug' units that route the network over the electrical wiring.

The connection is running between 55mbps and 85mbps, so its at least what a wireless G would give it with excellent signal strength.

What i am finding strange is this...i sat and watched a whole episode of 'T J Hooker' last night (great old skool cop show on crackle)....and the video was excellent..audio was in sync and everything was great quality. In fact, if i had just walked in the room and didnt know anything about the eva2000...i would have sworn it was a normal tv broadcast.

However, when i stream .avi (havent really tried anything else thus far) over the connection... that is stored on my terabyte hitatchi hdd, the video isnt great quality...its 'watchable'...but its a little blocky..a little jerky...its not running smoothly like it should be...like T J Hooker did...and that was being streamed from the net.....not from just up the stairs on my desktop pc.

Also, the audio seems to be a fraction out of sync. Now all my .avi files run lovely and smooth and are great quality on my computer....i can burn them to a dvd and play them just fine on my divx enabled dvd player....so whats the problem with my lovely new box of netgear tricks?

The firmware updated the moment i switched it on...so it cant be that...i've even used a utility for the homeplug units to change the QoS to optimize for video/audio...no change...infact..possibly slightly worse.

I'm still really happy with my new purchase, but i would very much like to get some help to fine tune the playback...anybody know how to do this?

Sorry if i am duplicating...i did find one post that sounded similiar, but i wasnt sure if it was the same thing.

TIA

Secue
Old April 20th, 2010, 08:37 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: Poor quality video when streaming from pc?

*bump*

posted this three days ago now...a little surprised that nobody has replied as of yet.

Does nobody know what i am talking about here?
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:51 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

macblob is on a distinguished road

I was getting a very poor picture while using the regular red white and yellow cables on the digital TV. I put it back in the box and went with the LG BD-390. The only drawback with that BD-390 is the menu structure. When you have a lot of video files a great menu system is a PLUS.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 11:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

hi, thanks for the reply. i started out using the AV cables.....but since then i have switched to an HDMI (gold connectors) cable...the picture when streaming content from my pc is not any better
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:31 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

if you are using AVI.. try using H.264 file/ Mpeg file and see
Old June 6th, 2010, 09:54 AM

SnoopNL is on a distinguished road

That is not a solution, that is a workaround.

The year is 2010 and still the quality is not as it should be.
I have a xbox360 on my living room TV, and the quality is much better.
When using the eva2000 on my living room TV, the quality is still bad.

Why aren't there any updates anymore for the firmware, I still think there is a lot to win in quality.
Old June 7th, 2010, 12:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

divx118 is on a distinguished road

WMP is probably transcoding the video. I now use PS3 Media Server You can choose to play a transcoded stream or just the original avi. It also supports subtitles, but then you will have to play a transcoded stream.
BTW it is also better at transcoding then WMP and uses much lesser resources on your host PC.

Maurice
Old June 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Dogbert is on a distinguished road

Also you might want to check and see how the AVI file was actually encoded, since the EVA2000 has limitations depending on the codec that is being used. If its an mpeg-2 file the EVA2000 can handle 8Mbps at 1280x720, but (as an example) if it is encoded using h.264 the EVA2000 can only handle 2Mbps at 720x480. (You can see all the codes supported and the max settings in the Appendix of the User manual.)
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:38 AM

lakey247 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

This is a windows 7 issue i can pretty much guarantee.

I was using Windows Vista up until Friday last week, and my streaming wirelessly from my home PC to the EVA2000 was flawless and the picture quality was excellent.

I upgraded to Windows 7 this weekend and now the files are very poor quality when streamed exactly the same way as before. Even a file i watched Friday with a perfect picture was now patchy and had ghosting.

Any ideas how to get Windows 7 to pick up its game?

John
Old June 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

divx118 is on a distinguished road

What I already mentioned in a previous post, don't use wmp, because it is transcoding the video on the fly. Just look at the taskmanager to see the processor activity. Maybe there is a solution to stop the transcoding in windows 7 or make it better, but I didn't bother to find one and use another upnp server with support of subtitles and webchannels (rss feeds). ps3 mediaserver

Maurice

Just my 2 cents. I know the EVA2000 isn't the best device out there, but at that price you can't expect much more. The interface is very snappy and I like the webchannels.
I bought mine for 40 euro, I wouldn't however spent more on it.