Old May 4th, 2010, 10:43 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

moolman is on a distinguished road
Default Wired connections problems

Alright, I'm starting my own thread because I can't be the only one with this problem and I need some help before I give up and return the router.

Called tech support and they are clueless. I think this may be a hardware problem but how do I have the bad luck of getting 2 broken routers if the others here don't have the problem.

This is happening on 2 different WNDR3700 routers, I bought one at Staples and then another at Frys when the first one did not work.

Wireless is flawless, no problems, signal strong.

This router cannot keep a wired connection. Any device attached to it loses it's IP and the when I refresh what devices are attached to the router, the wired devices don't show up. I have a printer, Tivo, WHS, Netgear skype phone hooked up. I first I thought that a computer hooked up through the wire worked but I just tried it and it does not either.

On the first router, the wired connections worked for a hour and then poof, never again. So I call tech support jump through all the hoops, figure okay, bad luck, time for a exchange.

So 2 days ago, new WNDR3700 router, set everything up. Wireless is flawless again, works perfectly. So I hooke up the wired connections, not recognized by router for a couple of minutes then it starts to work. So I assigned a static DHCP IP address to each wired device, since tech support previously suggested it. Worked great for 2 days.

Just came home today, poof, wired devices are not detected by the router. Wireless works great. I tired unplugging router and rebooting, nothing. All settings look good.

I have never had a router where the wired connections are flaky. There has to be some more people out there with this problem. 2 routers... there's something going on here. Or maybe I'm the only fool still using wired connections..haha..so nobody else notices.
Old May 6th, 2010, 04:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Xinot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wired connections problems

No problems here with 1 PC (24/7) and PS3 connected via wired + 1 Laptop over wlan...
PC have W7 Pro & Realtek 8111B lan.
I only think there's some hiccups in wired connection when wireless is connecting or have some activity.
Old May 6th, 2010, 07:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

moolman is on a distinguished road

Well, I found the problem, it's probably a firmware problem and maybe they will fix it one day. This is from 2 different 3700 routers so unless I have really bad luck it may apply to most people. The techs support was no help so far. If you attach devices that aren't constantly actively using the wired connection, the router shuts them down or whatever is happening, they stop working. Maybe it's the touted "GREEN" energy saving function, either way, it's retarded and the router becomes useless unless you have something always active on the wired connections. I have a Tivo, WHS, skype phone, and printer, these things don't use the wired connections that often, so the router turns off the wired connections.

If you have something active on the wired connections, like a computer, ps3, etc will never experience this.

Hopefully this helps somebody in the future. Time to return both routers now.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

lelandapple is on a distinguished road

Yes moolman I have this problem. Let me explain how mine is happening...

Have had 0 problems with router. Worked fine, play games mostly, browse web etc. So I try a new game out, Minecraft.

Set up a server so my buddies can play, servers running. Friend joins server, BAM internet is gone. I lose connection totally on that computer only. I hop on 2nd computer it can browse fine (also wired connection).

I try to play the game without hosting a server, same problem. DC'd after 5 mins of gameplay, no internet. This is getting silly. I spent alot of money on this router for it to just flake out. I have been troubleshooting for hours and still get same errors.

Weirdest thing about it is I can get DC'd on my wired PC and still be online on other PC's in my household
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:35 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Your problem doesnt sound like his, your really jumping on an older thread too.

Disconnections can be caused by SOOOOO much that it's hard to place where the fault is at. The likelyhood that the router quits functioning is slim, routers, modems, and pc's can all cause these symptoms... through a mix of firewalls, virus scanners, port forwards, or just hardware that cant cope.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:45 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Devor is on a distinguished road

See this thread HERE and see if this applies to you. The one other thread that mentioned "Minecraft", the user found out that their ISP was the problem.
Router uptime (d:h:m:s): 1050:08:34:23

--
How To Check and Change Your Router's Firmware:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=63234
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you for the replies. I didn't mean to pull up an old thread. I thought it was March 2011 actually not 2010 my mistake, I was google searching my issue and this came up. It's hard to find information on my particular problem.

Also Devour, I did update to the newest firmware following your guide. Thanks problem still persisting. I start the Minecraft server, it runs, I can join, my friend joins, instant crash. My internet is out. I unplug and replug my ethernet and I am INSTANTLY back on the internet. It's almost like it overloads my network card or something? Not sure. But with this problem, I can still go on the internet on other computers fine. That tells me it's probably the router and not the modem itself. So I am just stuck at this point. Will test modem straight into PC when I get home to find out if that may be it. I did open the necessary ports too to run the game. Have never had a problem like this with this router. Thanks again and I am sorry for bringing up a dead topic!!
Old March 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Another note, I contacted my ISP asking if they block ports and they said they do not. They said they do not block anything it's open. I have Comcast.
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:05 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

If the connection is dropping after your pal joins you then it's not likely the isp blocking the ports.

If the whole connection is going down then you should look to see where the connection is going..

Running a nonstop ping (3 cmd windows) could help show it..

1) ping -t www.routerlogin.net (or it's IP if www.routerlogin.net doesnt work)
2) ping -t modemIP (probably 192.168.100.1), tho it could vary depending on what modem and configuration the isp puts on the modem.
3) ping -t www.google.com

When your internet connection goes out then look and see where the drop is, If it's at step1 then look at modem/isp
If it's at step2 then we would want to look at the router(wan) and modem(customer side)
If it's at step3 then placement is firmly placed on your ISP and your modem either cant cope with the upstream usage or there is something else going on with their network.

Pings are not guaranteed to give the correct answer, but they are probably the easiest for us to monitor as users .
Old March 11th, 2011, 11:23 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thank you I will try that! I do notice that when the internet goes down, so does the router. I go to click on tabs in the router menus and it doesn't respond. That's why I think it could possibly be a mixture of my network card and the router, I don't know. I will keep troubleshooting and report back. I am thinking of downgrading my firmware to 1.0.0.6 too.