Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Routers & Modem Gateways

Old March 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

pga is on a distinguished road
Default Mac

when setting up the Netgear LAN, the router detects the MAC adress of the NIC. Using proparties in Windows on the NIC, the MAC adress is set to zero default. Does not windows detect the MAC? And is the security better when the right MAC adress is set in proparties? What happens in the router if it detects two agents with the same MAC trying to access the router?
Old March 10th, 2007, 05:04 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mac

I think that what you are referring to in the Windows properties for the NIC may be a field that allows you to configure what is known as a "locally administered" MAC address - if I am correct on that, it is not that Windows has not detected the MAC address and it has defaulted to zero, but rather that because you have left that field at zero, Windows is using the NICs burned in MAC address.

If the MAC address were actually at zero, your system would be unable to communicate using that network card.

You can test this by entering a different MAC address in the field and seeing what your router reports.

Hopefully that answers your first two questions - let's take a look at the third.

If the router detects two NICs with the same MAC trying to access it, it does not know that there are two different NICs and it will treat them as a single entity.
Old March 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pga is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mac

Hey now, what is the point with this setting? The only setting is my own MAC nicht wahr? If I put some other MAC adress You do know what´s happening, I am so tired of hacking, just give the answers please!