Old May 16th, 2010, 06:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hawkinsa21 is on a distinguished road
Default Setting router to only use wireless N?

Just a quicky that I've not managed to find a simple answer to...

Will/can setting my DGN2000 to use wireless N protocol only, increase my overall network speed? I have a wireless N adapter on my PC (WN111) and also have a wireless G card in an old laptop (obviously switching would stop the laptop from connecting).

Yes, I could simply try it but I have seen a couple of posts around the web whilst looking to tweak my home media streaming solution and these posts suggested to switch to N mode only, but didn't really explain much more beyond that. I'm just interested to know a bit more. I have searched for an answer myself but haven't found many posts about it (either my searching sucks these days or the articles don't exist)

Thanks,

Alex
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Setting router to only use wireless N?

all the protocols is supported on N routers so you can not limits "only" to use 802.11N and reject/refuse.
Old May 20th, 2010, 05:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hawkinsa21 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the response. That has answered my question
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkinsa21 View Post
Thank you for the response. That has answered my question
you are most welcome
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:45 AM

hex90 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure if you mean "on netgear", but technically, this isn't true. Co-existence between any of the standards impacts performance. This is why some routers, drivers, firmwares, whatever provide choices of:

b
g
b/g
b/g/n
n

I'm looking at one right now and have done plenty of testing. Introduce b or g device into a wireless network carrying n draft and you significantly decrease performance with just the device "sitting" on the network (hence why netgear shows 130 instead of 300 as choice for all combined). That's why it is always best to have dual radios (if possible) or seperate routers (though, depending on how you setup repeating, you could cut bandwidth of each end in half at least).

I've been primarily using buffalo/linksys (wrt-dd fws sometimes) and was initially excited about this WNDR3700, but in less than 48-hours, that has changed a bit. The lack of granularity/flexibility in this particular area is (or was) unheard of especially for a 'flagship' router (of sorts). $50 linksys will give you more control over whether you want b, b/g, g, b/g/n, n only (again, looking at stock firmware here - NOT wrt-dd) and this netgear just gives me some cloudy "what speed do you want?" setting? Terrible.

Then there is the "you can only use WEP" to repeat - absolutely, 110% unacceptable. I can break a wep key in a few minutes if it is a good one and 10-seconds on a weak one. I am using wpa2/aes on 4 in my crib (then a few standalones - don't ask, I just do :-)

I've spent 30-mins looking for various answers on this forum and they are all ending with (basically) 'that's how it is with the netgear' :-/ As frustrating as these linksys can be, with that attitude and not seeing what people are used to/expecting, I now see why I don't run into many netgears out there - when I ran across this dual bander and read about it I thought "man, where have you been all this time?" When waiting for mine to show up, a couple of my buddies said they "tried Netgear a while ago", but took them back - let them know how it goes. Unfortunately, for $150, it's about to go back in the box and go home to a store shelf since that's the only answer I keep seeing (and oddly, people accepting).

Cheers.
Old May 20th, 2010, 04:39 PM

I should have

B
G
B&G

270 will include all 802.11 protocol and NO just N only
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:23 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hex90 View Post
I'm not sure if you mean "on netgear", but technically, this isn't true. Co-existence between any of the standards impacts performance. This is why some routers, drivers, firmwares, whatever provide choices of:.
It may be true that mixed mode operation will have some impact on the maximum theoretical 802.11n Greenfield rate, but that doesn’t change the fact that there is no option in the router settings to force it to only accept 802.11n connections and to ignore any local 802.11b/g networks and clients.

My name is Andy.