Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:28 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Stringray is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3700 suddenly changed its IP address!

Yesterday all of a sudden all my PC's lost their network connection. After checking it turned out the WNDR3700 had decided on its own to change its IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 10.0.0.1. Because my main systems are configured with a static IP address, this change totally wrecked my network. I booted my laptop, which is configured to use DHCP, and only then I noticed the IP address change.

When I first visited the router administration pages after this change, the WNDR3700 displayed a message that it had changed the IP address, because of problems with my ISP (can't remember the actual text message).

Now this is very wrong, isn't it? Why does the WNDR3700 decide on its own to totally reconfigure itself? Is there some way to switch this behaviour off?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:38 AM
NETGEAR Addict

htismaqe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3700 suddenly changed its IP address!

The 3700 will do this in the event that the WAN interface acquires an address that conflicts with the LAN subnet.

It's not only not wrong, it's very much desired behavior. If you use DHCP with your ISP and they try to give you an address that conflicts with your LAN, the absence of this behavior would result in you not being able to access the internet at all.

What is your WAN address?
Old May 22nd, 2010, 08:38 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

nat1 is on a distinguished road

The router did this to me the first day i had the router, I haven't had any problems at all since it changed.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
It's not only not wrong, it's very much desired behavior. If you use DHCP with your ISP and they try to give you an address that conflicts with your LAN, the absence of this behavior would result in you not being able to access the internet at all.

What is your WAN address?
I disagree. I don't care if I cannot access the internet because of faulty settings. Such a situation is easy to fix by entering the correct addresses.

My WAN address (which I'm not going to broadcast here) isn't in the 192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x subnet, so I still cannot think why the router chose to do this. I've had my previous router configured at 192.168.1.1 for many years and no problem at all.

I don't have any problems with the new setting. I just don't like the router changing things on its own. I want to be in control.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:47 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

wrong...

service like cable service will push by ISP with private IP 192.x.x. when ISP has trouble and rather dishing out public IP to the customer, it will dish out private IP.

Therefore , router will see as conflict as soon as ISP pushed private IP when ISP has an issue. you will see 192x.x. or sometime 0.0.0.0

best solution is now NOT to use 192.168.0.x IP and change to 192.168.5.x

avoid using 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x, 10.0.0.x etc. these are so common and as border line every one uses.

in DSL modem/router, I seen 192.168.254.x as default IP so less to have conflict but still you will find common IP used as well.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
service like cable service will push by ISP with private IP 192.x.x. when ISP has trouble and rather dishing out public IP to the customer, it will dish out private IP.
I'm not sure your sentence is correct English, but I think you're trying to say that my ISP might give me a private, non-routable 192.x.x.x / 10.x.x.x IP address instead of the "real" public address I'm used to getting. Yes, that might be true. And if that address matches the subnet of my private network, it would ofcourse cause network trouble. But that still doesn't validate my router to just go about and reconfigure itself.

Ofcourse it is nice that NetGear include this auto-fixing feature, especially since the average user of the WNDR3700 wouldn't want to be bothered by these issues. But people like me, who actually spent some time designing and configuring their private networks, don't want network components to change their configuration all by itself.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

this is to prevent the WAN and LAN to have same LAN subnet

simple fix to not use use default IP then you will be fine.

this is common user with no skills to prevent DOUBLE NAT installation
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:56 PM
Banned

Also even your case is NOT double NAT. still WAN and LAN IP issue prevent from doing this.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The whole point I'm trying to make is that I don't want the reconfigure to happen automatically. I want to be in control. No setting should update itself, without my approval.

Let's quit this discussion, since we aren't really getting anywhere :-)
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringray View Post
The whole point I'm trying to make is that I don't want the reconfigure to happen automatically. I want to be in control. No setting should update itself, without my approval.

Let's quit this discussion, since we aren't really getting anywhere :-)
so just change to the DHCP range to other than 192.168.0.x

simple fix.. if you used keep using same you will have same issue over and over.

you can request but this is unlikely to be changed if it does, it will not fixed immediately

pick your choice.. I say change the DHCP range will be a fix and see how support will see it.

request at my.netgear.com and open the case