Old May 24th, 2010, 01:21 PM

rpchris is on a distinguished road
Default Guest Account

Just exchanged a Linksys E1000 for a Netgear WNDR3700. The Linksys set up for a guest account worked first try. I have tried for 2 hours to setup a guest account with the new Netgear with no luck. Tried most settings available with the radio buttons to no avail. When selecting the "Enable Guest Network" along with the "Enable SSID Broadcast" the wireless connection on my laptop and iPhone are lost. There is no indication of a broadcast from Netgear with the above choices. Would greatly appreciate any help in configuring the guest account.
Old May 24th, 2010, 03:13 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dishinit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Guest Account

See this thread....

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=49720

There is a Beta Firmware mentioned in the thread that "fixes" Guest radios but possibly may introduce other issues.
You must contact Netgear support to get Beta Firmware.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

zashi21 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpchris View Post
Just exchanged a Linksys E1000 for a Netgear WNDR3700. The Linksys set up for a guest account worked first try. I have tried for 2 hours to setup a guest account with the new Netgear with no luck. Tried most settings available with the radio buttons to no avail. When selecting the "Enable Guest Network" along with the "Enable SSID Broadcast" the wireless connection on my laptop and iPhone are lost. There is no indication of a broadcast from Netgear with the above choices. Would greatly appreciate any help in configuring the guest account.

call Netgear support line and ask to be escalated. BETA firmware .66 is the fix for this problem
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:35 PM
NETGEAR Expert

RoderickGI is on a distinguished road

. . . but breaks other stuff.
Old May 25th, 2010, 01:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

zashi21 is on a distinguished road

oh.. that im not sure of... it's a BETA firmware so it might have some probs on other features
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

obxpirate is on a distinguished road

Don't take offense, but start with the easy things. For example, did you hit "apply" after making the changes? Did you refresh your available network list before looking for the ssid? Did you name the guest account something that is different from others around? Did you set up the 5 ghz account and look for it on a pc with only 2.4 ghz compatibility? etc.

Last night I was able to set up the guest account for the first time w/o a problem. At least for me it was straightforward.
Old May 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DeanoPC is on a distinguished road

I concur that when .66 is applied guest does work, however WPA2 security no longer does or if it does it's very, very infrequently. WEP and WPA/TKIP will work on 2.4ghz and 5ghz. So .66 is a mixed bag. I've reopened my troubleticket with netgear as I've tested this on three units.