Old June 5th, 2010, 08:14 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DeanoPC is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR37AV vs WNDR3700

Noticed there is a new router (WNDR37AV) listed on the Netgear product page. I truly hope this isn't a case of the WNDR3700 issues have been abandoned and the WNDR37AV is the hardware fix required.
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

sakisp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR37AV vs WNDR3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoPC View Post
Noticed there is a new router (WNDR37AV) listed on the Netgear product page. I truly hope this isn't a case of the WNDR3700 issues have been abandoned and the WNDR37AV is the hardware fix required.
Great! They introduce a new router instead of fixing the long lived bugs of their existing top-of-the-line model. Really great!
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:28 PM
NETGEAR User

NightOwl326 is on a distinguished road

That may be exactly what they are doing. I am in the window of opportunity to return mine to Amazon, and that is what I am going to do. I purchased what I thought was the latest and greatest, and I am tired of waiting for firmware that may never come. Back goes the 3700, and I will purchase the 37 when it hits Amazon. Let Netgear eat these buggy routers, and not the end user. I see no other reason Netgear would come out with a new router with specs not much different than the 3700, unless they have hardware issues.
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ronson is on a distinguished road

From the specs they seem identical.. I think its more marketing than a really new device...

Its advertized as an Wireless router for Video and Gaming and for those who dont know that the WNDR3700 is the same are choosing more the WNDR37AV.
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:42 PM
NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronson View Post
From the specs they seem identical.. I think its more marketing than a really new device...

Its advertized as an Wireless router for Video and Gaming and for those who dont know that the WNDR3700 is the same are choosing more the WNDR37AV.
Maybe, maybe not! If you look at the listing on Amazon, Netgear promotes the 3700 as a AV product, with much the same feature and benefits being promoted in the 37av. There is a very good chance that the 3700 has hardware issues that firmware will not fix. The time factor of Netgear getting firmware out to fix known issues, makes me more than suspicious. Also, the Guest Network issue plagues current 3700's, but earlier production runs seem to be ok. I do not want to take the risk of owning a defective product. Now lets see if Netgear discontinues the 3700, that will tell the real story....
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:49 PM
NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronson View Post

It would just be cheaper and easier to change there marking of the current item! It would not be hard to add "Gaming Router" to there product description. I don't buy it as marketing only....
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:01 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

foyzur is on a distinguished road

hmm. Any idea about the retail availability? I am pissed off with the guest network and media server issues.
Old June 5th, 2010, 09:23 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

foyzur is on a distinguished road

Very interesting! Treacherous NETGEAR. But Lucky I am! I am still under 30 days return period of Amazon and upgrading my existing router is not that necessary for me. And FYI, you may order your WNDR37AV from the following link (google gave it to me. I would suggest to wait for Amazon):

http://www.cometsupply.com/pm/NGRWNDR37AV100NAS/r/gg/
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

NETGEAR needs to say if there are some Hardware issues with the WNDR3700 or not and why are they bringing out an almost identical product to the WNDR3700.

BTW. What does this mean? It say on the Specifications under Package Contents:

Quote:
Wireless Router for Video and Gaming (WNDR37AV) / N600 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700)

What does this mean? Is the WNDR3700 also in the package? I dont get it!
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:53 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

BTW. With marketing they can sold the same device for much higher price.

As a Gamer If you have to choose between "WNDR37AV Wireless Router for Video and Gaming" 130$ and WNDR3700 Wireless Dual-Band Gigabit Router for ca 100$ you would choose WNDR37AV if you dont know its the same device only with another name and "better" capabilities for gaming!

There is a difference regarding the description of the Standards. On the WNDR3700 Page it says:

Quote:
WNDR3700 Standards:
IEEE 802.11n version 2.0
and on the WNDR37AV page:

Quote:
WNDR37AV Standards:
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz
IEEE 802.11 a/n 5.0 GHz
Is htere only a difference in the description or really a difference regarding the standards?

Greetings