Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old June 6th, 2010, 07:50 PM

dangerfox is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR 3300 - Shows I'm connected yet no webpages load

Here's my current setup. I have a WNDR 3300 RangeMax router. Currently three computers receiving wireless signal (two netbooks and one desktop) upstairs and one computer in the basement hooked directly up to the router via ethernet. I had two 15' cables threaded through a hole in my floor, enabling the router to be upstairs so the computers getting the wireless signal would get a better connection.

About a week ago this issue first showed itself. I was on the desktop upstairs, connected to the internet no problem, when all of a sudden my connection drops. I can not load any web pages. But the odd thing is it's still showing my computer as connected to the internet and receiving 4 bars of wireless signal.

Thinking this was an issue with my ISP, I spend an hour on the phone with a gentleman from Comcast who has me do a bunch of things: release and renew the IP, ping, hook up all my computers directly to the router, hook up one computer directly to the modem. Even when the computer was hooked up directly to the modem, I still did not get any signal (bear with me here this isn't about my modem). In the end he decided that even though the modem was all lit up and functioning properly as far as he could see, he still determined that it was probably an issue with the modem and would send someone out two days from then to replace it.

In the meantime, I rooted around my office and found a few extra ethernet cables I have hardly used. I plugged them in to the modem, lo and behold, the internet works. I set up my router again how it was with these new cables, and ta da, it works again. So I cancel the service guy to come replace the modem. Unfortunately the cables I had were only 3 feet long, so for the past few days the router has been in the basement, and the computers upstairs have only been getting 1-2 bars of wireless signal at best.

Fast forward to today, and I purchase two new 15' Cat-6 cables so I can get the router back upstairs. Before I switched the cables out, everything was functioning as perfectly as a wireless router that's hidden in a basement could be. I replace the cables, and then .... I'm right back to my issue before. The computers that receive signal wirelessly are showing four bars of wireless signal, yet every time I try and load a web page, I get a "this page cannot be loaded" message (using Firefox). Even the computer I had wired directly in to the router says it's connected, yet no pages are loading. So thinking it was an issue with the Cat-6 cables, I put all the old wires back in exactly the way they were 20 minutes before I put the new wires in...and it still has the same issue.

So here I am, wired directly from modem to computer, my Netgear router sitting uselessly beside me, begging for help. There is no way for me to get my modem upstairs and use shorter ethernet cables, so please don't suggest that. I live in a fairly old house and it was a miracle I got an internet connection hooked up in the first place.

I have had this particular router for less than 6 months. Does anyone know what my issue is? I have run myself dry with ideas, which weren't many to begin with since I am very very new to networking in general. I had called in to Netgear's support line a few months ago with another issue, but since I purchased the product more than 90 days ago they won't give me free tech support any more. I am mighty pissed off that my $150 router could possibly be crapping out after 6 months of use, so if there is a way I could fix this without having to purchase something new, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
Old June 6th, 2010, 08:03 PM

dangerfox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR 3300 - Shows I'm connected yet no webpages load

Also to clarify: I have updated all my wireless reciever's drivers, the router firmware. It is not an issue with the signal strength as I can have my netbook right next to the router, and it shows 5 full bars and yet no pages load. I have tried connecting with every computer in the house and still nothing loads.
Old June 7th, 2010, 04:20 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR 3300 - Shows I'm connected yet no webpages load

issues the long cable you are running through the wall is the issues.

based what you said. it works fine before using brand new cable without going through the wall.

I would in this area for the issues
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

suirauqa is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: WNDR 3300 - Shows I'm connected yet no webpages load

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerfox View Post
I have had this particular router for less than 6 months. Does anyone know what my issue is? I have run myself dry with ideas, which weren't many to begin with since I am very very new to networking in general. I had called in to Netgear's support line a few months ago with another issue, but since I purchased the product more than 90 days ago they won't give me free tech support any more. I am mighty pissed off that my $150 router could possibly be crapping out after 6 months of use, so if there is a way I could fix this without having to purchase something new, I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
I cannot comment on your exact issue, but I would suggest two things.

(a) Try to contact Netgear Support by email through their support pages. My router is also many months beyond the warranty, but recently when I experienced a peculiar problem, I wrote to them and they got back to me pretty promptly (within 24 hours) with a resolution. My problem was that it had stopped broadcasting the N-signal, whereas the G-signal was working fine, and also that wired connections (via ethernet) were being dropped oddly at boot up. Their resolution helped me.

(b) If you haven't done so already, try doing a hard reset of the router, by poking the straightened end of a paper clip into the designated hole at the back of the router. Follow these steps:
  1. Go to the Router Management software and back up your current settings to a computer. You'd need this backup later.
  2. While the router is powered on, take the end of the paper clip and poke into the small hole and hold it there for 20 seconds.
  3. Power down the router. I usually just yank out the power cord from the router. You are to power it back up after 10 seconds.
  4. When the router comes back on line, give it another 10 seconds and then connect to the Router Management software, and use the backed up file to restore your settings. Now check if the router is functioning as you expect it to.

These steps, suggested by the Netgear Tech Support, helped me. YMMV, of course.