Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > Super-G (108 Mbps) & 802.11g (54 Mbps) Adapters

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM
barcode barcode is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
barcode is on a distinguished road
Default Network keeps dropping!

Hello Everyone,

I have a Netgear WGR614v6 router for over 2 years at my home. We typically use one laptop and one desktop concurrently to access the internet using the wireless router.

The setup has the desktop plugged in with a cat5 cable in the Link1 in the wireless router, while my Dell Studio running Vista connects via wireless.

The router is connected to my broadband ADSL modem.

Now here is what happens very frequently. Over 10 times in a day.

I am unable to browse and when I check via ping to 192.168.1.1 (Netgear router) - here is the result:


My broadband router has the IP address 192.168.0.1

The internet on BOTH the wireless (laptop) and wired (desktop) goes bad suddenly.

At my end to solve the problem I have tried the following already:
- Resetting and reconfiguring the router
- Updating firmware for the router
- Using different channels on the router

Can someone help beyond this?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old June 13th, 2010, 12:03 PM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 95,299
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network keeps dropping!

see router set up on my sig below and make sure broadband and router is setup correctly.
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:18 PM
barcode barcode is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
barcode is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network keeps dropping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
see router set up on my sig below and make sure broadband and router is setup correctly.
There is nothing specific that the website mentions. The setup worked perfectly well for the last 2 years, and suddenly having issues. There is a funny pattern of alternate pings being successful sometimes.

I have never changed settings before the breakages happened.

The ISP has confirmed that the configuration of the router and the broadband modem seem to be in order. Now since they don't provide the wifi router, its upto me to fix it.


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
zashi21's Avatar
zashi21 zashi21 is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 197
zashi21 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network keeps dropping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have a Netgear WGR614v6 router for over 2 years at my home. We typically use one laptop and one desktop concurrently to access the internet using the wireless router.

The setup has the desktop plugged in with a cat5 cable in the Link1 in the wireless router, while my Dell Studio running Vista connects via wireless.

The router is connected to my broadband ADSL modem.

Now here is what happens very frequently. Over 10 times in a day.

I am unable to browse and when I check via ping to 192.168.1.1 (Netgear router) - here is the result:


My broadband router has the IP address 192.168.0.1

The internet on BOTH the wireless (laptop) and wired (desktop) goes bad suddenly.

At my end to solve the problem I have tried the following already:
- Resetting and reconfiguring the router
- Updating firmware for the router
- Using different channels on the router

Can someone help beyond this?

Thanks!
Try adjusting the MTU size of the router.

here's how to figure out the right size:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

If same problem, i suggest calling phone support for replacement
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:39 AM
barcode barcode is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3
barcode is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network keeps dropping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zashi21 View Post
Try adjusting the MTU size of the router.

here's how to figure out the right size:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/695

If same problem, i suggest calling phone support for replacement
The MTU currently is 1400 - I had reduced it earlier after reading up the forums

What else could be going wrong! Could it be an issue with the ISP itself? But since I am unable to ping the wifi router, maybe the issue is with the wifi router itself?

PS - is there a tool/utility to check whether the wifi router is working fine?

Please help!!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:25 AM
jmizoguchi's Avatar
jmizoguchi jmizoguchi is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Kentucky, USA
Posts: 95,299
jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network keeps dropping!

ping result is from wired pc?
__________________
VPN Case Study (www.vpncasestudy.com)
Our Second To None VPN Related Setup Case Study
"One Stop Solution To Your Netgear VPN Connectivity"
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"


Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:26 PM
zashi21's Avatar
zashi21 zashi21 is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 197
zashi21 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Network keeps dropping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcode View Post
The MTU currently is 1400 - I had reduced it earlier after reading up the forums

What else could be going wrong! Could it be an issue with the ISP itself? But since I am unable to ping the wifi router, maybe the issue is with the wifi router itself?

PS - is there a tool/utility to check whether the wifi router is working fine?

Please help!!!
if not same problem straight to your modem then it must be the router. the things you can do on the router if the problem is intermittent WAN connection is adjusting the MTU size, upgrading the firmware of the router and hard resetting it after the upgrade, if all fails, then it may mean the WAN connection of the router is faulty. Try calling NETGEAR support for replacement
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:07 AM.