Old June 20th, 2010, 02:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

palazzl is on a distinguished road
Default Setting up access point (bridge?) using two WNDR3700 routers

Can someone please help or point me to a site with directions on how to set up an access point (bridge?) using two WNDR3700 routers. The router/DSL modem is on one side of the house and the wireless printer (have confirmed it is compatible) is on the other side but one router signal isn't strong enough to make it to the printer.

Thanks for any help!
Old June 20th, 2010, 05:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

StarScream is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Setting up access point (bridge?) using two WNDR3700 routers

You could use this one as it is similar but they are not using the same model numbers. http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2745
Old June 21st, 2010, 07:46 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

palazzl is on a distinguished road

Thank you! I have 1 router set up currently to the dsl modem. Do I setup the second in the location I want it or near the first one to do the settings and then move it?
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:09 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

katrinabernardino is on a distinguished road

Yes you can do that as long that you'll completely configure it correctly!

---------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if I could help you.
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:48 PM
NETGEAR User

SkyOwl is on a distinguished road

Those instructions are for setting up a repeater and will work fine if that is what you want. For a repeater, the connection between the two routers is wireless but the thoughput of the repeater is cut in half. For an access point you need a wired connection to the acces point router but you will get full thoughput from the access point.

The original question was for setting up an access point which is a little different. The 3700 will work as an access point and will support wpa2

Basically only 3 things to remember:

1.) plug the lan cable from the primary router into the 4 port switch of the Access Point 3700...NOT the WAN port.

2.) Set the lan ip of the AP 3700 outside of the DHCP range of the primary router

2.) Disable DHCP on the Access Point 3700

All other Access Point 3700 settings, including WPA2 can be set to your preference. Of course any Access Point 3700 settings refering to the WAN port will have no effect.

I use a setup like this to extend my wireless coverage and it works perfectly.
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:28 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

I think the OP really does want repeating details, even though the words ‘access point’ were used.

But I do agree with SkyOwl that repeating really is something to avoid.

Another alternative is to use a wireless client to Ethernet adaptor, and connect this to an access point (or router configured as an access point). This allows a full speed secure connection between the client and the base router/gateway, and the access point can establish a second wireless network on a non-overlapping channel (assuming 2.4GHz) so throughput is not hit there either. The client can be positioned in good wireless range of the base router, and can connect via Ethernet cable to the access point which can be placed in a better position to serve the remote wireless PCs.

Router/Gateway~~~wireless WPA2 channel 1~~~Client Adaptor~~~wired~~~Access point (router)~~~wireless WPA2 channel 11~~~remote PCs

My name is Andy.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:33 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

37000 <---->WNCE2001 and pick up access point device unless you really need dualband

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/13019

WNCE2001 is $79 or so you may able save some money and find what other access point or router that you will use an as access point
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:59 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
I think the OP really does want repeating details, even though the words ‘access point’ were used.

But I do agree with SkyOwl that repeating really is something to avoid.

Another alternative is to use a wireless client to Ethernet adaptor, and connect this to an access point (or router configured as an access point). This allows a full speed secure connection between the client and the base router/gateway, and the access point can establish a second wireless network on a non-overlapping channel (assuming 2.4GHz) so throughput is not hit there either. The client can be positioned in good wireless range of the base router, and can connect via Ethernet cable to the access point which can be placed in a better position to serve the remote wireless PCs.

Router/Gateway~~~wireless WPA2 channel 1~~~Client Adaptor~~~wired~~~Access point (router)~~~wireless WPA2 channel 11~~~remote PCs

What we need is a way, perhaps, to bridge the 5ghz links, and keep the 2.4's open for broadcast.. This would give full speed without the limitations of the way "repeaters" work, but still give fairly good connections throughout the home.

I cant see a way to do that, but if it's possible through a mix of settings to bridge one link, and leave the other open then that would def be a good path.

As for the sudden influx of people setting up 2 wndr3700's (was there a sale on I didnt know about??) I have to wonder why they didnt just buy a dedicated wireless bridge, that's ment for this function.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:10 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

There’s no reason why 5GHz can’t be used in the way I described, there are a few 5GHz capable Ethernet client adaptors available.

But still, repeating on 5GHz will mean that with a single radio in the repeater it will have to repeat on the same channel as it receives from the base station, and simultaneous receive/transmit on the same channel is not possible.

Personally I think wireless is overrated still and I use cable wherever possible or where I must have high throughput, I reserve wireless for things like my portable Internet radios.

My name is Andy.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
NETGEAR User

SkyOwl is on a distinguished road

Whenever a thread of this subject pops up, serveral posters suggest using a cheaper dedicated access point instead of a second 3700.

While thats certainly a valid suggestion, especially if you have a need and a tight budget. Yet, I have yet to find a cheaper (or even many more expensive) dedicated access point that has the features and performance of a 3700 used as an access point.

Not many access points at any price have a built in 4 port GB switch (3 usable ports after you hook up the cable from the primary router), a useful USB port, and the great wireless performance of the 3700.

.....just my 2 cents worth.....