Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

t4ggs is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3300 as a repeater

Hi, I Bought two WNDR3300 routers, I want to use one as my base router and the second one as a repeater... i didn't get proper documentation with it about how setting it up as a repeater...i would want to get any help in doing so.

so far what i did is the following:
I set the encryption to WEP (same settings for both routers) and turn one the Wireless card access list (only in the base router).'

Enabled the wireless repeater function,
in the base router I checked "Wireless Base Station" and added the two mac addresses in the back of the second router (there are two I guess because it's dual band). In the repeater router, I checked "Wireless repeater" in the "Repeater IP address" I wrote: 192.168.1.222 (I just choose .222 cause I wanted), and in the "Base station MAC address" field I wrote only one of the MAC addresses of the base router.

Then I took the repeater, tried log in and it says that the other router is managing it, so I supposed that it was working, I disconnected it and move to another place in my house, to a place where the signal is medium, plugged in the electrical socket and waited but the signal doesn't get stronger.

BTW I updated the firmware to the latest in both routers.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, but the true is I'm really disappointed by your documentation.
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:10 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNDR3300 as a repeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ggs View Post
Thanks in advance, but the true is I'm really disappointed by your documentation.
You probably donít realise this, but the forum is not actively monitored by Netgear staff, it is a user-to-user forum.

My name is Andy.
Old June 25th, 2010, 04:43 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Then I took the repeater, tried log in and it says that the other router is managing it, so I supposed that it was working, I disconnected it and move to another place in my house, to a place where the signal is medium, plugged in the electrical socket and waited but the signal doesn't get stronger.
don't place the same place were you had issue with.

will be no difference then placing the PC to pick up signal. you need to place the 2nd unit closer to the main unit so that 2nd unit can reach main router and broadcast to location you need to have signal.

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

t4ggs is on a distinguished road

Ok, so how can I contact netgear staff? I can't find any contact info in their website.
Anyway thanks...

and yes I know I should put the router/repeater in a mid-point...still it doesn't help...

any suggestions??
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Use my.Netgear.com for any issuses and/or complain

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi
Old August 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

charlie42s is on a distinguished road

I also am trying to use a WNDR3300 as a base and a WNDR3300 as a repeater.
I used "routerlogin.net" to access the utility menu.
The n and g channels must match on both routers.
Do not use the 'auto'(default) g setting.
Encryption methods must match. I used 'none'.
"Wireless Repeating Function" will show the MAC address that needs to be used.
I used 192.168.1.99 as the "Repeater IP Address"

This setup worked when both devices were in the same room. But not when I try to connect from 300' away and only 10' off direct line of sight. I can connect to the base station and get between 2 and 3 bars. I can go over to the window where the base station is and get 2 bars from my repeater. But the base station and the repeater setup doesn't work. I can connect to my repeater but no internet and I can't pull up the "routerlogin.net" nor ping the IP address.

Any help?
Old August 6th, 2010, 02:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

compwhiz_mahogany is on a distinguished road

I suggest you to try using the steps provided in this link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...on/r_id/100109.

WNR3500 is almost the same as the router manager of the WNDR3300 but the setup for wireless repeating should be the same.

Please take note that the Mac Addresses used is the "Wireless Mac of this Router" found in the Wireless Repeating Function page of the router. The base station should be using the wireless Mac address of the repeater while the repeater uses the base station's Mac Address.

Use a single signal on the router as shown by the link above (Up to 270Mbps at 2.4 GHz only).
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

peejay53 is on a distinguished road

I used the suggested link when setting up a WNR 3500 repeater on a WNDR 3300 base station. My problem is saving the settings on the WNR 3500 (see my post under Pejay53 on August 1, 2010 - pasted below for convenience). Any ideas out there?

08/01/10 Post:

I have an existing Netgear WNDR3300 router that I am trying to add a WNR3500 set up as a repeater in order to extend the range of my wireless network. I successfully completed the settings for Wireless Repeating on the WNDR3300. When I log into the WNR3500 to set up the wireless repeating function, everything goes well unil I click "Apply". From there I see a message that says "Saving Settings" and a progress bar that scrolls across indicating the settings have been saved, but I never see confirmation of saved settings. At the bottom of the window it says "4 of 5 items completed" but never finishes. I have left it in this state all night with no results. The only way to recover is close the connection, manually set the WNR 3500 back to factory settings, then try again with the same results. I suppose I'm doing something wrong - just don't know what it is.
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

charlie42s is on a distinguished road

After five fruitless calls to NetGear Basic Technical Support, I have given up trying to make 2 WNDR3300 work as Base Station/Repeater combo. I was able to access the internet through the Repeater but then the Base Station didn't have access to the internet.
Basic Tech Support told me:
The Repeater must not be set as a DHCP Server in Wireless Settings.
IP address of the Repeater must match that of the Base Station.

Good Luck!
Old September 4th, 2010, 02:25 PM

KenOehler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie42s View Post
The Repeater must not be set as a DHCP Server in Wireless Settings.
IP address of the Repeater must match that of the Base Station.
I'm trying to set up using a DGND3300 as base and the WNDR3300 as repeater. After most of two days, there is only partial success. I too followed the referenced KB article and it's trying to work. The KB article didn't mention turning off the DHCP assignment function of the repeater, and I thought that was the missing link. Tried it with no improvement. Tried setting the repeater IP address to match base, but that made things worse; I'd used 192.168.0.50 in earlier attempts.

The "Attached Devices" would show the repeater attached to the base at the xxx.50 IP address. My laptop could ping the repeater, but connection was only "local". Attempting to connect with my cell phone gave the error message of "Waiting for address from Rookery"; It seems that the remote devices partially log on, but never receive an assigned IP address. The laptop indicates packets sent to repeater, but nothing from repeater. Both remote devices will log on to network if they are in proximity of the base station. The laptop will log to the base on from the distant location without repeater even though the signal level is marginal. If the repeater is powered on, then laptop won't log on. Base station connects to ATT with no problems and there are no apparent problems with either local network or internet if only base station is involved.

I've spent a couple of phone hours with Netgear support, but they can't help. I'm still missing a bit.