Old June 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

lakers24 is on a distinguished road
Default Excellent Signal but NO connectivity (static IP's)

I have a WNDR3700 that is connected to my cable modem via CAT5 cable. The CAT5 cable is 50 feet long or so. When I have configured the Netgear router in my office it worked via wireless and wired. I put in the static IP, DNS, Subnet, etc and all was OK and it worked. However, when I ran the 50 foot or so cable, I get excellent signal but NO connectivity to the internet. I can connect to the router login page (192.168.1.1) and the internet symbol on the router is green. But I get NO connectivity to the internet while the signal strength is excellent.... Any advice on how to fix this issue or what might be the cause? Thank you for all your help and time, it is greatly appreciated!!
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Excellent Signal but NO connectivity (static IP's)

I would have to assume that the 50' cable is defective in some way - since that appears to be the only change made.
Old June 27th, 2010, 07:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yeah, I was thinking that too. But, isn't it awkward that I can connect to the router login page, signal strength is excellent, and the internet symbol on the netgear 3700 is green (as opposed to amber)? I've tried changing channels, to 1 and 11, but still the problem remains...

Also FYI, I've also tried running a base and a repeater setup as an alternative option and I still get the same problem, excellent signal but NO connection....
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ccdoggy is on a distinguished road

Yes it is weird that you can get something but i have had bad cables do much weirder things.

Try another computer on that cable and see if it also has the problem (may present may not as some adapters are excellent at making up for faults in the cable). only other real choice is to try another cable at that point.

maybe try a different port on the router?
Old June 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24 View Post
I have a WNDR3700 that is connected to my cable modem via CAT5 cable. The CAT5 cable is 50 feet long or so. When I have configured the Netgear router in my office it worked via wireless and wired. I put in the static IP, DNS, Subnet, etc and all was OK and it worked. However, when I ran the 50 foot or so cable, I get excellent signal but NO connectivity to the internet. I can connect to the router login page (192.168.1.1) and the internet symbol on the router is green. But I get NO connectivity to the internet while the signal strength is excellent.... Any advice on how to fix this issue or what might be the cause? Thank you for all your help and time, it is greatly appreciated!!
What does http://192.168.1.1/RST_conn_status.htm show?
Also... Do you pay for a static IP?

Isp's sometimes change DNS servers, subnets can change, and gateways can change too.. So unless you pay for the IP to be static, then you need to set that stuff to auto detect
Old June 29th, 2010, 07:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I do pay for static IP and my ISP has said all the above info (DNS, GW, Sub will not change). I've also clicked on the above website you've posted, and when I log in all I get is a blank screen that says "connection status". I've tried several different web browsers and same blank screen applies.... Any other ideas? Thank you for your help and time! It is greatly appreciated!

FYI. I've tried other ports on the router and also have tried to connect with other computers, but get the same problem.... I guess I'm going to try to run new cable now.

Any other suggestions or tips would be great! Thanks!
Old June 29th, 2010, 09:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Danmarc is on a distinguished road

If you connect the cable directly to the computer port and introduce the settings for the static IP in the PC, do you have access to Internet?
Old June 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers24 View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that too. But, isn't it awkward that I can connect to the router login page, signal strength is excellent, and the internet symbol on the netgear 3700 is green (as opposed to amber)? I've tried changing channels, to 1 and 11, but still the problem remains...

Also FYI, I've also tried running a base and a repeater setup as an alternative option and I still get the same problem, excellent signal but NO connection....
I'm no seen clearly the setup.

50ft cable location
talks about repeating etc..

POST diagram of your network using imageschack.us