Old June 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

OzRob is on a distinguished road
Default DGN2000 + WNR2000 as repeater: WPA security possible?

Hi all. I have a DGN2000 wireless modem router. I'm thinking of adding a WNR2000 as a repeater to cover the top floor of my house. I want to operate in wireless N mode.

I've read a lot of posts that say that only WEP security is possible when using WDS repeater mode. Is this true, or have recent firmware updates allowed WPA or WPA2 to be active when using a repeater?
Old June 29th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

katrinabernardino is on a distinguished road
Default Re: DGN2000 + WNR2000 as repeater: WPA security possible?

No updates yet but all wirelss repeating connection requires WEP security only

---------------------------------------------------

I'm wondering if I could help you.
Old June 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinabernardino View Post
No updates yet but all wirelss repeating connection requires WEP security only
Thanks for the info. IMO that makes the repeater function useless, unfortunately.
Old June 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road

I have seen that some manufacturers have been able to produce repeating setups with WPA, not sure about WPA-AES or WPA2 but my understanding is that there are technical issues with repeating some encryption key methods. There is also a distinct lack of standards in this area so I could not say that mixed manufactured devices would work, the safe bet for many manufacturers is to stick with WEP which has greatest chance of interoperability. The added downside to this is that 802.11n does not support high throughput with WEP encryption, so the rate would be limited to 54Mbps maximum (theoretical) even though the connection may indicate 802.11n rates.

An alternative solution I often use, which works very well, is to use a combination of a wireless Ethernet converter (most manufactures produce these, Netgear, Linksys, Buffalo etc), connected to a router configured as an access point (or could sensible be just an access point). This allows me to make a maximum encryption top speed connection to the base router from the Ethernet converter, the Ethernet cable then feeds into the router (access point) with then re-transmits on another non-overlapping channel with possible the same SSID and encryption key (or could be different). This two part solution also allows the Ethernet convertor to be positioned for best communication with the base router, and the re-transmitting router can be better positioned to cover the remote area. A WDS system even with best encryption would halve the link rate because it is not possible to transmit and receive on the same wireless channel simultaneously.

My name is Andy.
Old June 30th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

currently model that support in WPA, WPA2 is WG602/302 series access point (802.11G )
Old June 30th, 2010, 03:37 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
An alternative solution I often use, which works very well, is to use a combination of a wireless Ethernet converter ...
Thanks for that. I have considered that option, but thought the repeater would be an easier way to go. It seems not to be the case, so I'll have another look the Ethernet converter option.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:23 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Repeating should be an easier way to go, but it seems that there are too many technology hurdles in the way, one of those being a fundamental halving of throughput due to the inability to transmit/receive simultaneously. The Ethernet adaptor/access point method adds a box, but removes all those hurdles, and provides for better positioning for optimising the two transmit/receive paths. Of course a repeater which is able to use two radios could do the same trick, I’m guessing they exist but have not come across one.

My name is Andy.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Did a bit of Googling and found this adaptor from Billion. Seems like it would do the job, and cheaper than buying a pair of Homeplugs and an access point/router.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:32 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Looks like a fine idea to me, but remember you need both ends of course, so the ‘BiPAC P160N’.

My name is Andy.
Old July 1st, 2010, 04:24 AM
Banned

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzRob View Post
Did a bit of Googling and found this adaptor from Billion. Seems like it would do the job, and cheaper than buying a pair of Homeplugs and an access point/router.
repeating and power line are most "convenient " way to establish "2" points without running actual CAT5e/6 cables. At though each type of setup presents different type of issues but expect an issue

repeat- channel interference, weak encryption, throughput

power line- slightly easier but noise in the line and unexpected issue which may no see both ends or if it does noise could lower the throughput then what device can push. Also throughput will change throughout of usage depending on how it behaves at that time.

Only other unit which you may look is coax version.
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/list/p3/714

I have not play withy coax version but been shielded cables, you will have less noise issues and seems a good idea.