Old July 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM

pwillikers is on a distinguished road
Default FM114P - configure as a wireless access point, switch and print server

Hi. I'd like to configure my NETGEAR FM114P as a wireless access point, wired switch and print server. My intention is to connect the FM114P into a pre-existing, wired ethernet network that already has an internet connection through another router/firewall/DHCP server. The FM114P will ultimately provide a WEP secured wireless access point, wired pc connections and a print server.

To accomplish this, I believe I need to disable the FM114P's router/firewall function. I've spent quite a bit of time in the admin console and can't see how to configure this. Can someone provide directions. It seems like this should be do able.

Thanks for your help.
Old July 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: FM114P - configure as a wireless access point, switch and print server

Set the LAN IP of the ‘114 to something on the subnet of your existing LAN e.g. 192.168.1.99 and reserve that address on the LAN (or limit the DHCP range) so the IP cannot be used by something else. Disable the DHCP server in the 114. Only connect to the LAN ports, so have an Ethernet cable from the existing LAN to a LAN port of the ‘114. I am not sure if the print server will still run OK, but can’t see why it would not.
Old July 6th, 2010, 05:55 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FM114P - configure as a wireless access point, switch and print server

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/use...cess_point.pdf
Old July 8th, 2010, 02:35 PM

pwillikers is on a distinguished road

Thanks fellas for the quick and accurate responses. The router now works as a wireless access point and a switch. I have yet to try the print server function. I'll report back when I do.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Juicer is on a distinguished road

Odd that just now I am trying to use this "old" FM114P to do just about what you were trying to do. Did you ever try the printer function after all the monkeying around to see if it works.
I am trying to get a Linux machine to play nicely with a bunch of XP, one Vista and two Macs. Everyone is happy with little or no fooling around, pretty much plug and play, EXCEPT the Linux machine.
The PCs and Macs see the Linux machine but Linux doesn't see any of the other computers.
Any suggestions or should I start a new post?
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:59 PM

what is wired the router and what is wireless to the router?

Last edited by Mars Mug; September 6th, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:44 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks jm for offering a hand. I wanted to try as many as possible useless scenarios and diagnostic guesses before bothering you.
The setup:
2Wire 1000 Home Portal DSL Wireless Modem (wired and wireless) IP 172.xxx ---> wired to Netgear ProSafe Wireless Firewall/Print Server FM114P IP 192.xxx (HP Laserjet 6p wired to parallel port prints OK from all computers including Linux Mint9) ---> various pc (xp and vista) wired to Netgear Server and then the Netgear is extended to a US Robotics router for more wired access points for more macs and pcs.
Macs see everyone on the network.
Pcs see all pcs and macs and linux as well.
Linux only sees self and macs BUT sometimes it sees the pcs??
The following is a terminal readout:
jim@jim-laptop ~ $ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0f:1f:fd:62:b5
inet addr:192.168.0.5 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20f:1fff:fefd:62b5/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1492 Metric:1
RX packets:64 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:119 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:22615 (22.6 KB) TX bytes:16203 (16.2 KB)
Interrupt:11

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0e:35:5c:d0:8b
inet addr:172.16.1.37 Bcast:172.16.255.255 Mask:255.255.0.0
inet6 addr: fe80::20e:35ff:fe5c:d08b/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:28 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:53 errors:0 dropped:4 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:4948 (4.9 KB) TX bytes:9095 (9.0 KB)
Interrupt:5 Base address:0xa000 Memory:fcfee000-fcfeefff

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:95 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:95 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:8022 (8.0 KB) TX bytes:8022 (8.0 KB)

Once after I wired the Linux to US Robotics it used the 192.xxx IP instead of the 172.xxx as above which is the 2Wire modem's IP. I thought at least I had figured out the wired but while it still uses 192.xxx I haven't been able to access the network again.

Every time I delete the eth1 or auto ethernet, another one comes up. How can I force Linux to use eth0? Also is there any indication in this report where my wireless connection might be heading? I have unchecked the automatic connect for the 2Wire wireless connection but I am still getting no networks except the local machine, wired or wireless.
BTW, I have renamed everything and everyone in sight "workgroup". My children resisted at first but I explained about the Linux Networking cause.
Old September 7th, 2010, 07:55 PM

2wire unit ( assume att) on some model which will not do bridge mode for DSL unit and your setup seems a double NAT

I would setup FM114P as an access point and make entire network 172.x.x or change the LAN IP subnet on 2wire to 192.x.x. whichever you want

http://vpncasestudy.com/download/use...cess_point.pdf

this will simplify the setup with " ONE" LAN subnet.

you should have only one DHCP in your case 2wire and FM114P should be an access point and US robotics you mentioned also needs to be setup as an access point (if this wireless ) or just as an switch in same manner you setup with PDF
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for your quick reply. It will take a while for me to decipher the jargon and digest the info. I'll report back.
1. It seems that since the computers are working fine with the print server at 192.168.0.1, I'd be well off to leave that as is and change the configuration on the 2Wire from 172.x to the wireless print server's 192.x?
2. US Robotics is not wireless so do I need to do anything to it.
3. I just noticed that the wireless iBook has a DNS server and address at the 2Wire modem. Should I gety rid of that... by enabling DHCP?
I am struggling to understand this. Thanks for your help.
Old September 7th, 2010, 08:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Sorry for my tomfoolery, dhcp is enabled on the mac iBook... but I can't seem to remove the DNS server as it is greyed out?? Is this important?