Old July 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Larva is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Mode Help

I'm confused about what I should set the Mode value to for my wireless networks (within the Wireless Settings section of the firmware).

For both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz you can select up to 54, 130, or 300. What does this do besides change the maximum theoretical bandwidth?

Right now I have a client connecting through G via the 2.4Ghz network and I have it set to 300. Is up to 300 supposed to only support N and I'm getting lucky or what?
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:14 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless Mode Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larva View Post
Right now I have a client connecting through G via the 2.4Ghz network and I have it set to 300. Is up to 300 supposed to only support N and I'm getting lucky or what?
That should work with 802.11b/g/n.

My name is Andy.
Old July 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless Mode Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larva View Post
I'm confused about what I should set the Mode value to for my wireless networks (within the Wireless Settings section of the firmware).

For both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz you can select up to 54, 130, or 300. What does this do besides change the maximum theoretical bandwidth?

I think it works like this
54 meg (set to G network)
130 meg, GI of 800ns, 2 streams, 20mhz overlay
300 meg, GI of 400ns, 2 streams, 40mhz overlay

You can easily mix equipment and the hardware will all work fine, I believe you end up with a system where the N and G equipment gets encapsulated inside the 11b standard, but if there's no mixed environment then no encapsulation happens.

If your only going to connect only G equipment, then you may want to set it to 54 meg to see if you get some slight performance gain.

the lareger GI of 800ns helps when packet failure rate is too high to work at the 400ns timing.