Old July 28th, 2010, 02:53 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

speediii is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3700 ReadyShare Questions

Hi

Regarding ReadyShare USB shares:

Q1. Upgraded to the latest firmware 10.0.4.68 I think. Has anyone got a read/write Avg speed test for each format, FAT32, NTFS, EXT3? Can't decide which to use.

Q2. I really like the HTTP/FTP over internet share function, however, without at least 2 logins this is not so useful as you will not want friends accessing all your data, only selected shares. There is a guest account, but it has NO password. At a minimum, we need a password on Guest (or is this possible already?). Better still would be multiple account names/passwords.

Q3. Finally it would be nice to have a little more control over the shares, i.e. Make certain shares accessible via Internet, and others hidden to local networks only.

Maybe it's asking a lot, but does anyone know if this ReadyShare will be modified soon in a future firmware to address the account management issue?

Thanks
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: WNDR3700 ReadyShare Questions

Ok, I went home and did a little testing. Using an old usb disk I found:

FAT32 formatted to 4096 Allocation Unit Size (Win7)
Baseline - USB Disk connected to Local machine
WRITE: 15 MB/sec
READ: 24.375 MB/sec

Same disk connected to WNDR3700
WRITE: 7 MB/sec
READ: 11.6 MB/sec

NTFS formatted to 4096 Allocation Unit Size (Win7)
WRITE: 3.25 MB/sec
READ: 10 MB/sec

The above speeds were to the router via Network cable.

I think I'll be using FAT32 as I have both a Mac/PC environment, and 1gb of data should take about 2min 25sec to write as opposed to 5min 7sec on NTFS.

Looks like the bad write speed is a known issue in firmware 1.0.4.68 (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14244) and hopefully this will be fixed some time?

FAT32 for me means I can't store large files on the share > 4gb. This is a major downside, but the NTFS write speed is way too slow as it is now.

Any ideas how I might improve NTFS or even FAT32 speed would be most welcome, thanks.
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ccdoggy is on a distinguished road

No real way to improve speed, sorry (other then moving to ext3). The router is actually running samba which is an application to share files with windows clients (more or less). The router is limited because of the NTFS driver/application that interperts the data and the drive's info is limited by the processor speed of the router.

Maybe smaller allocation size? but i doubt it.

Ext3 is much faster and better all around. only draw back is you cannot just plug it into a windows computer and expect it to work.
Old July 29th, 2010, 12:06 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks, I tried EXT3 and you're right, it's much faster:

EXT3 - Formatted in Ubuntu 10.4
WRITE: 15 MB/sec
READ: 11.25 MB/sec

This is almost as fast as being attached to the local USB ports on the PC. I installed Linux in VMWare to do this, I can always read the disk in this image if I ever need to.

Question: One other thing that's strange is that even though I use "Admin" on my share, when I "map network drive" in Windows it never asks me for a password...