Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DamonUK is on a distinguished road
Angry WG111T / DG834GT / Windows 7

I have the DG834GT router with 3 family laptops and a desktop PC all using individual WG111T wireless adapters.

I have recently upgraded the desktop PC to Windows 7 and low and behold my USB adapter will no longer work, yet is worked perfectly fine with Windows Vista.

Months and months after its launch Netgear still haven't bothered to update the driver for it!!!!

I have manged to get it to work after scouring the internet for advice but it just doesn't run well now, VERY low connection, much lower than before and the PC is in exactly the same place, basically the adapter also crashes my PC and makes it hang frequently (definitely the adapter).

The problem I have is I can't just change my router as it means changing all the other adpaters that I have (costly)...so does anybody have any advice?

I am out of the netgear warranty and for support they want me to pay them money, feeling REALLY let down by Netgear as almost every other product I have that needed new drivers for Windows 7 managed to provide this.

Anyone help?
Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

network_support is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WG111T / DG834GT / Windows 7

Driver for WG111T is not available that support Windows 7, check this link: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11127. Either you can update it online for windows 7 or upgrade your adapter. You can try these steps to update online.

Uninstall all netgear drivers. Go to device manager and uninstall the device and be sure to check the box that says "delete driver software for this device"(do all this while offline). Restart the computer (just left the adapter in slot). When computer restarts, if you have vista driver in other system, install it. Then just restart computer. Now go to device manager. Adapter may appear as "ethernet controller", (i.e. Netgear WG111T) but in either case select whatever you may have. click update driver. Select "Browse my computer for driver software". Then Select "let me choose from a list of driver on my computer". You will see the Netgear driver, select that. It will say not digitally signed, click continue anyway. It will give you error code 52. Then do nothing. Only restart the computer. press F8 when u see the BIOS. use down arrows to select "Disable driver signiture enforcement", hit enter and start computer. When computer starts, just follow on screen instruction to connect to the internet!! You will have to press the F8 each time you start the computer, but it is a work around until they get these drivers figured out. Good luck........
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

DamonUK is on a distinguished road

Thanks for taking the time to respond, greatly appreciated.

However, I already have a work around in place. My point is that none of these work arounds work 100%, I shouldn't have to work around the issue.....NETGEAR SHOULD SORT THIS OUT!!!!

I can't be the only person in the world still using this router and usb adapter on Windows 7 so why no support for us?

Just out of interest what other usb adapter works at 108mbps, is compatible with Windows 7 and will also work with my current router the DG834GT, I suspect the answer is none which means I have to buy a new router as well....and new adpaters for my other 3 laptops, it won't be bloody Netgear this time I can tell you!!

Do staff from Netgear even bother to help on this forum?
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

andyzan is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: WG111T / DG834GT / Windows 7

Hi

I have the same configuration, but this Netgear commercial policy doesn't give me any surprise.

Any manufacter, any time a new OS is released, decide wich of their products will be supported with updates for the new OS.

This is just a commercial tactic, it mean to increase the sales for the products they want, meant to put in disuse the less expensive products.

And if you decide to buy a new product compatible with Windows 7, most probably when Windows 8 will be released that will be not compatible, and so on.

So, you can keep your Windows XP, the MS support for the service pack 3 will end on June 2014, at that time you'll have probably a new version of Windows, and the network products compatible will be less expensive, for sure
Old August 9th, 2010, 05:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

andyzan is on a distinguished road

Anyway, WG is currently updated with the Win 7 driver

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/de...07/r_id/100109

Ad the router works fine, you don't need any driver (I have it on my Win 7 Ultimate desktop PC
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:38 AM

comakozi is on a distinguished road

the operating system (win 7 64 bit) could not acknowledge the adapter using the updated WG111v3 driver. im not sure if it was because my gigabyte motherboard GA-880GA-UD3H has a usb 3.0 version (works fine with other 2.0 usb connections).

I went to the latest driver of the WG111T and used the "WG111T Software Version 2.1" driver and that finally recognized the adapter. im not sure if i used the compatability wizard and set it to run as a vista program or xp. dont remember. sorry.....

As for my linksys and router i had to reset it manually, unplug the thing, disconnect the cables, router wires, etc. clean setup, and then then replug everything.

After resetting without a security passcode etc. i then was able to connect.

next went into the "wireless router" then linksys adminstrator and set the wep128 bit encryption pass word etc.

next i connected to the network on the "network and sharing center" on the win7 and entered the encrypted numbers from the linksys.

i then was able to connect with the passcode. as for the netgear administrator i also went into it and inserted the passcode as well.

its working right now and im getting the same signal strength before between 2 or 3 bars. yes its low but then the signal its going through 4 walls. if could connect 10 ft away which i have tested before i would get full strength but id rather have my own personal computer in my room then have it in a den where people can mess with it.
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:40 AM

comakozi is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: WG111T / DG834GT / Windows 7

the operating system (win 7 64 bit) could not acknowledge the adapter using the updated WG111v3 driver. im not sure if it was because my gigabyte mother board GA-880GA-UD3H has a usb 3.0 version (works fine with other 2.0 usb connections).

I went to the latest driver of the WG111T and used the "WG111T Software Version 2.1" driver and it recognized the adapter. im not sure if i used the compatability wizard and set it to run as a vista program or xp. dont remember. sorry.....

As for my linksys i had to reset it manually, unplug the thing, disconnect the cables, router wires, etc.

After resetting without a security passcode etc. i then was able to connect. went into the linksys adminstrator and set the wep128 bit encryption pass word etc.

next i connected to the network on the "network and sharing center" on the win7 and entered the encrypted numbers from the linksys.

i then was able to connect connect. as for the netgear administrator i also went in and inserted the passcode as well.

its working right now and im getting the same signal strength before betweenn 2 or 3 bars. yes its low but then the signal its going thru 4 walls. if could connect 10 ft away which i have tested it works at full strength but id rather have my own personal computer in my room then have it in a den where people can mess with it.

yes i know it can be a pain but you have to mess with it. hopefully a new win 7 64 bit will be available soon.