Old August 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

djc6 is on a distinguished road
Arrow Which 5Ghz channel to pick / wall mounting

I picked up a WNDR3700 yesterday (02R1 W600 model in red box), and so far i'm getting significantly better 5Ghz results than with my D-Link DAP-2553 access point.

Anyways, I noticed that with channels 36-48 I get a poor signal once I leave the room with the router. For channels 149-161, I get an excellent signal all around the house. This seemed counterintuitive to me - I thought the lower channels were at a lower frequency and would penetrate walls slightly better than the upper channels. Are the upper channels operating at a much higher power? Is my router defective? The lower channels are almost unusable.

I live in a very rural area, there are no neighbors that could be causing interference. Just to be sure I ran KisMAC and didn't pickup any other Wi-Fi networks. I don't have cordless phones or any other wireless devices I can think of.

Also, I'd really like to wall mount this thing, but when I did the router didn't perform as well. Why is that? It seems somewhat directional - it works best when I have it on the stand and point the front of the router toward the rest of the house.
Old August 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

whitesox is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which 5Ghz channel to pick / wall mounting

Netgear says this in one of the 3300 KB articles....

"For EMI limitation, 5N radio high channel (ex. 149) has better range than low channel (ex. 36). Hence, under Wireless Settings on router configuration page, select the highest possible frequency on your router."

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1215
Old August 10th, 2010, 10:52 AM
NETGEAR Addict

htismaqe is on a distinguished road

The high channels actually use TWENTY TIMES more power than the lower channels. So using the high channels can improve signal strength substantially.

The trade-off is that those high frequencies are inherently much more susceptible to interference (due to the high frequencies themselves) and also alot of the 5Ghz wireless phone sets use higher frequencies.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ccdoggy is on a distinguished road

Higher freqs are allowed more power via the area's regulations. thus higher freqa are stronger signals. just how the regulations were set.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
NETGEAR Addict

htismaqe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdoggy View Post
Higher freqs are allowed more power via the area's regulations. thus higher freqa are stronger signals. just how the regulations were set.
It's a bit more complicated than that but you're essentially right.

Transmitting at higher frequencies simply requires more power. As frequency increases, transmit power must also increase or throughput suffers.

Most regulatory bodies operated with that in mind, and thus allowed for higher power output at higher frequencies. It varies from country to country, though.

In the US, there's 15 channels in the 5Ghz band that are not used because of the fear of interference with military devices. So you end up with a massive disparity between the lower channels and upper channels because the restricted bands are right smack in the middle.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

JoeCHecht is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by djc6 View Post
Also, I'd really like to wall mount this thing, but when I did the router didn't perform as well. Why is that? It seems somewhat directional - it works best when I have it on the stand and point the front of the router toward the rest of the house.
I too have found the unit to be very directional, and not in the directions I would expect (after viewing a photo of the internal antennas).

I set both of mine up on a shelf, and have them diagonally balanced on thier sides (the opposing side to the side that uses the stand, as I cannot see the lights when I use that side - grrr).

J
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:33 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Polaris75 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox View Post
Netgear says this in one of the 3300 KB articles....

"For EMI limitation, 5N radio high channel (ex. 149) has better range than low channel (ex. 36). Hence, under Wireless Settings on router configuration page, select the highest possible frequency on your router."

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1215
11 months I've had this router. 11 months I've been running on a low channel with the same reasoning as the OP.

I just switched to channel 161 and increased my throughput (in the important-to-me direction, during simultaneous bi-directional testing) by 48%!!

11 months I've been watching HD content stutter every so often, and wondering why I wasted money on this junk.

Thank you SO very much for this information.

And the fact that this isn't in the router documentation or even a freaking bullet point in the router UI next to the 5 GHz channel-select is yet another reason I will not buy or recommend Netgear products to anyone, ever, so long as I live (and I'll make sure to pass my corporate s**tlist on to my son before I die). I'll append it to the existing list of reasons ...

Thank you again SO MUCH Whitesox ...
Old April 13th, 2011, 06:05 PM
NETGEAR Expert

Simon0 is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that 5GHz do not go thru walls in older homes very well, those that have sturdy walls and heavy doors. ALOT of cheap 5GHz cordless phones are also making the higher 4 channels hard to use.

However, I've found that wireless 5GHz bridges & Intel-based mini-PCIe gives the best range/throughput. Desktop PCIe & USB dual band adapters has been horrible for me in the 5GHz channels, even when the desktop card was also Atheros-based like the router.