Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Stora Forum

Old August 19th, 2010, 02:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

pwiles1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Stora:iTunes How to get music on to server.

Just Got my NAS and looking at setting it up, I predominantly want to use it for music storage and streaming via iTunes.

I know how to move iTunes libraries and consolidate etc, which i will do later on to the NAS.

When i open iTunes I can see the Stora under the shared area, how do i get my libraries in to the Srora:iTunes, so I can see the same thing elsewhere, and can i use the Stora as a stand alone instance of iTunes without having a PC Running? I would like to stream from the Stora to an Airport Express and use an iTouch to control the music.
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

hrabeX is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stora:iTunes How to get music on to server.

No, you should copy your entire iTunes Folder to Stora attached drive and open it in iTunes.
Stora has daap (iTunes) streaming capability (very buggy) or dlna, so you should use your iPhone/iPod touch with 3rd application to play your music via connected speakers.
Stora has music streaming servers/daemons only without iTunes like graphical frontend.

Please do not use annoying Stora iPhone app - terrible piece of software - no possibility to play entire album, single track only.
Old August 19th, 2010, 03:10 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I do not want to play to the speakers directly via the itouch as i will only have MP3 on the touch, I want to have Apple lossless on the Stora and stream these to the speakers do I have to have a PC with itunes open on it? Not an issue as I can use a net book but ideally i would like just to use the touch to control the audio on the stora.
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

sillyname is on a distinguished road

I never could get my network of mac's to play itunes from stora using airports correctly. Sure you can point itunes to share the stora library, even arrange for new purchases to automatically be copied there also. But as another poster mentioned the play back is a bit buggy, sputtery and not of high quality.

I simply share each users itunes library with each other so everyone can access each other's library. Each user can determine which airport they want to direct the music to. Depending on the number of user's in your household you can then use stora as a simple backup for each computer's music library. Just don't use desktop mirror to achieve that, but that's another bug.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the feedback, Guess short term I will have to have a PC running iTunes and just use the Stora for access, moving my iTunes Library there right now.

Longer term intention was to buy an AppleTV if sound quality is OK on the current setup so can stream directly from the Stora to that (I Hope).
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:42 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

hrabeX is on a distinguished road

I don't think so - Stora streaming server is heavy buggy - see reported problem from PS3 users, Mac users and many others. Not all files are indexed, stream hangs - Axentra trying to fix it from first stora release a year ago.

If you want to have streaming NAS, buy another product. You should use Stora as simple backup device, but keep in mind - AFP access is buggy, smb access creates /: files on Macs.
Old August 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrabeX View Post
I don't think so - Stora streaming server is heavy buggy - see reported problem from PS3 users, Mac users and many others. Not all files are indexed, stream hangs - Axentra trying to fix it from first stora release a year ago.

If you want to have streaming NAS, buy another product. You should use Stora as simple backup device, but keep in mind - AFP access is buggy, smb access creates /: files on Macs.
I will test to see what happens I only bought the Stora for use as a streaming server because it specifically mentioned iTunes capability, if it does not work its going to have to go back.
Old August 20th, 2010, 12:36 AM

paulyboy is on a distinguished road

I would be interested in how you get on, as i've bought a Stora (it turns up today) for the same purpose that you have. I will post my findings once it's up and running......
Old August 21st, 2010, 01:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well it runs perfectly, I am not using the server aspect have not worked that bit out, just have my library on the stora, streaming to an airport express and it is great. Do have to get ALL on my collection in to lossless as MP3 just does not cut it even as 320.

Only issue is that I power everything down over night and when I re-start I can not get in to the srora without first putting in a password, so I can not just start iTunes without first doing this because it can not then see my library.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Well I thought it was sorted, went to work wife tried to start iTunes no luck, the Stora App now says unable to find Stora on local network, so have to go back and take another look tonight.