Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Stora Forum

Old August 20th, 2010, 02:15 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

johnmclane1 is on a distinguished road
Angry Flashing blue light

Could anyone please help.Only had stora a few days worked great out of the box. installed stora on network and software from cd.Then installed new firmware 2.3 since then cant connect remotely and now the things blue light keeps flashing and wont connect to network its really annoying. Thanks
Old August 20th, 2010, 03:02 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

hrabeX is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flashing blue light

reboot router
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:50 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

If you mean turn router off and back on ive done that but still got problems.Thanks for reply
Old August 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
NETGEAR Addict

robyb is on a distinguished road

If you've rebooted your Stora without any harddrives and it still gives you a blue blinking light, please follow the recovery procedure:

Follow these steps:

To put the device into recovery mode, power on the device, wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

Cheers,
Roby!
Old August 20th, 2010, 11:49 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Smile Re: Flashing blue light

Thank you! Roby i did exactly as you said and i am able to access the stora now. I was starting to think i had a black paperweight. If this guide to recover the stora isnt a sticky thread it should be. Thanks again!!
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

drdavepier is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyb View Post
If you've rebooted your Stora without any harddrives and it still gives you a blue blinking light, please follow the recovery procedure:

Follow these steps:

To put the device into recovery mode, power on the device, wait 15 seconds, then hold the reset button while bootup continues.
The bootup process will take approximately 30 seconds and the blue LED will be blinking during that period.
As soon as the recovery mechanism kicks in, the blue light turns off and HDDLED1 will turn orange. The reset button can be released at this point.
Then the device will request a DHCP lease and try to get an IP
o If an IP is obtained, HDDLED2 will also turn orange for 1 second.
o If no IP is assigned the following pattern will be shown on the leds and the recovery mechanism will stop.
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink 3 times together -> All LEDs off
Once network is up, the download and burn process will begin. During the download procedure the LED behaviour is:
Power LED Off -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will turn on and off in turns
The download and burn will take around 4-5 mins with a fast connection speed.
Once the download and burn is done:
o If the burn is successful, all LEDs will turn on for 5 seconds and then the device will reboot normally
o If the burn fails the LED behaviour will stay as follows and the recovery mechanism will stop
Power LED On -> HDDLED1 and HDDLED2 will blink together

Then you can re-configure your device using the Setup CD, use the same product key, Stora name and create the same Stora accounts to recover your data.

Cheers,
Roby!
I tried this after getting blue lights that flashed 5-6 times and then went off for 2 secs and then repeated. Currently its been an hour and the HHD lights are blinking in orange one after the other. should it take this long? i have a 10mb connection so i dont think the download should take this long.

Oh i should say that i took the drive out before doing this, is that a problem?

what do i do now? leave the box and see if it fixes itself or turn it off and try again? and should i put the drive back in??

Thanks
Old September 2nd, 2010, 01:56 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

drdavepier is on a distinguished road

update: after even longer the box has sorted itself out. turned it off put the drive in and then redid all the setup and tada its working again!

Thankyou Roby!!!!!
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ram222blue is on a distinguished road

Tried the reset and on the third flash the power and HDD LEDs just continue to flash. I have to pull the power cord to stop the unit.
Old September 15th, 2010, 12:34 PM

magiccow is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by robyb View Post

Cheers,
Roby!
There were a few anxious moments there where it seemed to think that the hard disk was blank and needed to be formatted. Thankfully I walked away at that point, and perhaps 15 mins later the Stora had remembered that this was my old disk full of precious photographs. Now I can see all of my data again.
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:03 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

unclecuddles is on a distinguished road

This worked for me (TFFT!).

I removed the drives, plugged in the power lead, pressed the power button, waited about 15 seconds then held in the reset button for about 30 secs until the blue light stopped flashing and the orange light came on. Everything else was as per Robys instructions

Cheers!