Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wired Networking Products for SOHO Applications > Wired Network Adapters

Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:35 PM

Vincent1980 is on a distinguished road
Default Big Problem with NetGear WNA3100

I bought yesterday NetGear3100 usb wireless adapter
But I have a problem,when the installation of the software ends and ask me to
put on usb the adapter,I press next but the dsicovery of the product never started in the device manager of the windows it seems to be recognized
but in the properties in device status write this:Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
I have Windows Vista Sp2 32-bit and all the last updates of windows
P.S:I want to mentioned that the whole process went perfect on my laptop
with windows 7 64-bit
P.S 2:Also I have installed a wg311 adapter as a pci,and works ok
Old August 24th, 2010, 04:46 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big Problem with NetGear WNA3100

try placing the WNDA3100 on different USB slot
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old August 24th, 2010, 06:48 AM

Vincent1980 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
try placing the WNDA3100 on different USB slot
i tried this already
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:24 PM

KX5JT is on a distinguished road

I just bought the WNA3100 and I have the exact same issue. Yes, I tried another USB slot. It never finishes detecting the device.

The device manager shows the adapter operating as normal but the Windows 7 says the adapter has issues.

I may just have to go with a Belkin.
Old September 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

zwober is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent1980 View Post
i tried this already

out of curiosity, do you plug the device in while windows is already booted, or have your tried to have it plugged in while windows boots ? - im curious to see if that makes any changes - hopefully it would, but.. - vista is a bit odd at times.

good luck tho.
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:15 AM

Lorio is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem...have tried with the reboot, still no luck. Even tried uninstalling kaspersky as per netgear support and still does not detect the adapter in any of my ports. I guess i am returning the netgear and trying another brand.
Old December 14th, 2010, 01:32 AM

makman1 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Big Problem with NetGear WNA3100

i have the same problem.i unistalled kaspersky , changed port,rebooted,installed it in another pc,install latest driver ......nothing !the only reasons are :another program block the device setup or netgear adapter is useless in vista sp2
Old December 22nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MartinW2 is on a distinguished road

I had a similar installation problem. The solution was to download and install the latest version of the driver from Netgear web site. However, while the unit then works, it has a problem of dropping out after a couple of hours. Communication can be restored by ejecting it, when the SmartWizard unloads itself, and then reinserting the adapter, when the SmartWizard automatically reloads and detects and connects to the network. However, it cannot be restored simply by re-scanning as it fails to detect any networks, let alone connect to them!
Old June 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM

Dp1948 is on a distinguished road

i have similar problems with the WNA 3100. It connects but the icon shows "scanning" . Drops out for no reason during the day. Also Skype will not work. Took the first one back to the store. This is the second one. Tried different ports, inserting after Win Xp boots. no help.
Old June 12th, 2011, 02:07 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

MartinW2 is on a distinguished road

Since my last post I returned the original WNA3100 adapter to Netgear, and it was replaced. Within a week it was exhibiting the same problem of dropping out of connection with the network. Clearly, then, the problem MUST be with the software. I have tried checking (today) that the Windows driver is current, and it is. However, Windows Vista thinks this is only a Wireless G adapter, not Wireless N. I was thinking of removing the Netgear software and just running it via Windows (Vista Home Premium SP2) but without the speed of N I wouldn't get adequate performance from this supposedly Wireless N adapter. It has become exceedingly frustrating to constantly have to check whether the adapter is still connected on both channels 6 & 10 before accessing a web page or sending an email. The disconnection occurs in two stages. First, channel 10 disconnects, leaving only wireless G connectivity incoming and no outgoing connection. Then the channel 6 also disconnects some time later and when the WNA3100 driver is opened it shows Ch. 0 with maximum signal strength, but in the scan window no networks are seen, and scanning doesn't discover any. The only workable remedy is to disconnect (BTW the safely remove hardware icon never loads for this adapter), wait for the driver icon to turn red and then remove itself from the system tray, then plug into a different USB port, when the driver will reload and reconnect to both channels 6 and 10 as though there was nothing wrong, Usually the scan shows my network and another network from a nearby home with a much lower signal.

Hasn't anybody come up with a fix yet? In six months? Are you guys all asleep? Where is Netgear in this discussion?