Old August 28th, 2010, 01:02 AM

Help101 is on a distinguished road
Default WNA3100 disconnects!!

Hi,
I'm having a rather annoying issue with NETGEARS Wireless-N 300 USB adapter (WNA3100). I recently updated my computer to windows 7 and went out and bought a brand new wireless adapter. The problem is that the adapter works for about 2 hours before it completely disconnects and the only way for me to reconnect to the internet is if I reinstall the software that came on the CD. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:43 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Bill1426 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNA3100 disconnects!!

I'm having the same issue...
I have noticed that if you pull the unit out, and put it back in, it will reset..
But the connection doesn't last long..

When it is connected, the signal level is over 75%.
So I know it's not a low signal level that is causing the loss of connection.
Old September 6th, 2010, 07:51 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

After looking at other threads, I saw this Sticky...

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=1132

I will give it a try, and see what happens...
Old September 8th, 2010, 04:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Nope ... Still having the disconnect issue...
Old September 11th, 2010, 06:46 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Not only does it disconnect, but it logs me out of windows also...
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:08 AM

niallmerrigan is on a distinguished road

Ok this is what worked for me.

I am using a WNDR3700 and a WNA3100 with Windows 7 x64

I installed the latest driver package from the web. I copied the drivers from the program files directory and uninstalled the netgear software completely and rebooted.

I then reattached the USB device, and pointed the driver search to the drivers I copied out before and that got my wireless device working.

I checked the router and put it to 130mbs for 2.4ghz rather than the 300 it had been operating at. Everything is now connected 100% and no issues any more..
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I did the same thing, except in Win XP 32-bit.. No good..

Ended up returning it to Staples, and got a Linksys/Cisco unit (AE1000)..

Just plugged it in and it works...
Old August 29th, 2011, 01:36 AM

Lolface is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: WNA3100 disconnects!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallmerrigan View Post
Ok this is what worked for me.

I am using a WNDR3700 and a WNA3100 with Windows 7 x64

I installed the latest driver package from the web. I copied the drivers from the program files directory and uninstalled the netgear software completely and rebooted.

I then reattached the USB device, and pointed the driver search to the drivers I copied out before and that got my wireless device working.

I checked the router and put it to 130mbs for 2.4ghz rather than the 300 it had been operating at. Everything is now connected 100% and no issues any more..
Thank you so much! THIS WORKS!! (I just made an account to say this)

Once you've uninstalled the software, restarted your computer, and plugged the adapter back in, to manually locate the folder of the drivers, you need to go into: control panel>hardware and sound>devices and printers right click properties on the adapter, go to hardware>properties>change settings>driver>update driver>manually update and search for the folder.
Old October 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Talmidthree is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: WNA3100 disconnects!!

I had been having the same problem with my netgear wna3100 wireless usb adapter. After many hours of googling and trial and error...have found that the problem per say isn't the netgear equipment or bug... but it is with the anti-virus software and configuration of it. The newer antivirus programs are getting more and more complicated and intruding into more and more of our software programs and applications. My experience is with AVG and Avast. And while they are good antivirus programs they tend to go where they shouldn't. With that said my success through trial and errors of configurations has been worked out more simple to fix than anticipated. My OS system is Windows XP with the latest updates ( I also suspect the same will work on Vista, and Windows 7).
I also have a machine on Windows Vista but it is hardwired so we won't worry about it. This works with Avast...as I haven't done anything with AVG to see what will work and what will not..(maybe I will go through it and report back if anyone is interested). Lets take this step by step.
We will be dealing with Avast for right now..

1. if you have all the netgear software loaded and you find yourself getting constant drops...open avast user face and go to "settings" tab.
2. scroll down to "trouble shooting". There will be a list of options.
3. If the check box for "load avast services only after other system services"
is NOT checked than CHECK it.
4. Then click OK at the bottom.
5. Now close out of Avast userface.
6. Now go to Windows "start up" menu.
7. Scroll down to Netgear folder and disable it...thats right disable it so it doesn't start up when you start your PC. (that will prevent the Little laptop icon with the wireless waves above it from coming up). Don't worry the PC will still access the folder.
8. Now go to control panel and go to network and internet connections and click it on.
9. Next page will show "network connections" click it. A list of connections will be there like "Ethernet" and your "netgear connection or whatever you named it. right click over your connection and go to properties and click on it.
10. A new tab will come up "wireless network connections". you should have three tabs that say "general" "wireless networks" and "advanced" Click on "wireless networks" tab. You should see your network there. If everything installed correctly from the beginning.
11. At the top of this tab you will see a BOX... that says... "use windows to configure my wireless network settings" if it is not checked (which I doubt it will be) Check the BOX and then go down and click "OK".
12. Reboot.. ENJOY!.

NOTE: if for some reason your software didn't load properly I suggest you disable Avast and do a fresh install. However if you are connecting then dropping then everything is good...Like I said it is NOT the adapter. Netgear makes very good products and I have used many other similar but nothing that I like as much as the ease of netgear equipment. And I don't think it is a Netgear bug to have to work out but rather the software and their continued efforts to develop and re-develop products to stay competitive. Thats why AVAST has their "trouble shooting" section in their userface because they know that their are other software that simply will not interface with them instead of the other way around. Anyway hope this works. It did for me.. without having to be PC genius(of which I am not).
Old December 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM

superaj is on a distinguished road

I just picked up the WNA3100 today and I'm having this same problem on my XP machine. Constant disconnects when downloading or browsing anything.

Tried the sticky suggestion and all other suggestions in this thread. I'm returning the device and buying a non-Netgear adapter.

Avoid this product if possible!!!