Old September 24th, 2011, 11:19 AM

Ice1505 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: enable usb port on CG3000

Hi , i know this is an old post , but i still want to reply to it... because there has not been an answer to the question..

im having same problem, where isp has locked out the usb but wont give the possiblity to open it for usage, because they dont want to give support to it..

but i my case where i work with computers everyday, i dont need support. what i need is a way to FLASH the router to original state.
Old September 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Go to support.Netgear.com and search open source
If you can not compile source then I say you are out of luck anyway
Old April 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM

cadvikki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Branded firmware is ther to work with their network .
I have the same problem but with a different situation. I understand that ISP's lock the USB port on their routers. So, I went out and bought my own brand new router, a NetGear CG3000D (not someone's old ISP router). It is running software V5.5.2RG-05B and hardware 2.01. I cannot even see the USB as a list item in the router configuration screen. How do I turn the USB port on, and how do I see it on the configuration screen?
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:47 PM

Your best bet is to ask directly to support on this.. my.netgear.com portal
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DOCSISMan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: enable usb port on CG3000

OK folks, as a Consulting Engineer who's expertise lies in this area, please let me address this, and hopefully eliminate all the FUD in this thread.

Let's start with the first basic premise: A DOCSIS Wireless Cable Gateway is NOT a Wireless Router with a Cable Modem added. It is a unified embedded DOCSIS Converged CPE design, with the fundamental SoC solution being a DOCSIS device....in other words, if anything, you can think of it as a CABLE MODEM with a Wireless Router functionality added to it.

The distinction above is important.

DOCSIS Gateways essentially have two possible chipset/Reference designs available in the marketplace....Broadcom based or Ti (Intel) based. Current (2012/early 2013) Broadcom based Cable Gateways use a proprietary operating system called eCOS. Ti (Intel) based Gateways use Linux.

The reason that the USB port does not have any Software function on the CG3000Dv1 NETGEAR Cable Gateway is because it is Broadcom eCOS based, and there is no easy way to add Software drivers or application support on Broadcom's proprietary eCOS Operating System. It is as simple as that. On previous/current (2012/early 2013) Broadcom based Cable Gateways like NETGEAR's CG3000D(v1), the USB host port is simply a "USB Charging port" due to this limitation. I don't know why Broadcom did not follow-thru with releasing the necessary API's to support advanced SW function for the USB port...but they didn't. So the marketplace is stuck with BCM3380 Gateway devices where the USB port ends up being simply a port to charge from.

Future generation Broadcom DOCSIS Reference designs (late 2013/BCM3383 or newer based) have the capability for the manufacturer to introduce a new Linux thread (in combination with the Broadcom eCOS OS). These designs will allow USB host port functionality for things like Printer and USB drive support. These new Broadcom BCM3383 designs are just becoming available in the marketplace, and NETGEAR has a few that have recently been released (CG3000Dv2 and CG4500BD).

I can tell you 100% that what I've written above is accurate, as I've been intimately involved with DOCSIS CPE products in the North American industry for over 12 years now... (essentially since DOCSIS was invented). This is my bread & butter, so I know whereof I speak.

So please don't blame the manufacturer or the ISP for limited USB support on previous generation Cable Gateways...it "is what it is", and there will not be any kind of support on previous gen (BCM3380) Gateways (beyond ancillary device charging...)

DOCSISMan
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:34 AM

Good one.. thanks for it
Old December 14th, 2013, 05:11 AM

thr33 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: enable usb port on CG3000Dv2

I have the latest modem CG3000Dv2, and still not able to use the USB drive, via front or back USB ports.
I have contacted ISP and Netgear AU but have not been able to use the USB function. Please help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOCSISMan View Post
OK folks, as a Consulting Engineer who's expertise lies in this area, please let me address this, and hopefully eliminate all the FUD in this thread.

Let's start with the first basic premise: A DOCSIS Wireless Cable Gateway is NOT a Wireless Router with a Cable Modem added. It is a unified embedded DOCSIS Converged CPE design, with the fundamental SoC solution being a DOCSIS device....in other words, if anything, you can think of it as a CABLE MODEM with a Wireless Router functionality added to it.

The distinction above is important.

DOCSIS Gateways essentially have two possible chipset/Reference designs available in the marketplace....Broadcom based or Ti (Intel) based. Current (2012/early 2013) Broadcom based Cable Gateways use a proprietary operating system called eCOS. Ti (Intel) based Gateways use Linux.

The reason that the USB port does not have any Software function on the CG3000Dv1 NETGEAR Cable Gateway is because it is Broadcom eCOS based, and there is no easy way to add Software drivers or application support on Broadcom's proprietary eCOS Operating System. It is as simple as that. On previous/current (2012/early 2013) Broadcom based Cable Gateways like NETGEAR's CG3000D(v1), the USB host port is simply a "USB Charging port" due to this limitation. I don't know why Broadcom did not follow-thru with releasing the necessary API's to support advanced SW function for the USB port...but they didn't. So the marketplace is stuck with BCM3380 Gateway devices where the USB port ends up being simply a port to charge from.

Future generation Broadcom DOCSIS Reference designs (late 2013/BCM3383 or newer based) have the capability for the manufacturer to introduce a new Linux thread (in combination with the Broadcom eCOS OS). These designs will allow USB host port functionality for things like Printer and USB drive support. These new Broadcom BCM3383 designs are just becoming available in the marketplace, and NETGEAR has a few that have recently been released (CG3000Dv2 and CG4500BD).

I can tell you 100% that what I've written above is accurate, as I've been intimately involved with DOCSIS CPE products in the North American industry for over 12 years now... (essentially since DOCSIS was invented). This is my bread & butter, so I know whereof I speak.

So please don't blame the manufacturer or the ISP for limited USB support on previous generation Cable Gateways...it "is what it is", and there will not be any kind of support on previous gen (BCM3380) Gateways (beyond ancillary device charging...)

DOCSISMan
Old June 23rd, 2014, 05:40 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

davidsco27 is on a distinguished road

Congrats on the most useless, self-agrandizing pompous posting I've ever read. You give new meaning to the term, Useless Geek. Clown. The device comes with TWO USB ports. It's advertised as supporting them for Ready Share, Netgear MAKES AND ADVERTISES THE PRODUCT. Who SHOULD we blame? The Pope? Your mother? lol, what a buffoon you are. What are the ports there for? Decoration???

BTW, I should add, I did manage to get one of them to work, sort of, I plugged a USB powered 500 GB drive into it and was able to see it on my network. Sad that the software doesn't support it. Pathetic, really
Old June 23rd, 2014, 06:41 AM

CG3xxx models falls in to Provider Products
http://www.netgear.com/service-provi...#tab-techspecs

Products falls in to Provider section are mostly branded firmware and not stock firmware so you can expect that certain feature is not enable/ available due to the ISP branded firmware.
Old June 25th, 2014, 04:30 PM

Here is some for you guys to read on CGxxx
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24693

Quote:
Overview:
This article will help explain how to connect and access a USB device that is plugged into the N450.
Please note that the N450 does not have full Readyshare feature on this FW version.
Symptoms:
want to view and access content on my USB drive connected to the N450