Old October 5th, 2010, 09:19 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

dopeselecta is on a distinguished road
Default GS105E not in same subnet error

Aloha,
I just purchased a GS105E and ran into an error just trying to access the switch. I installed the newest version of the prosafe utility. The utility can find the switch, however, when I try to access the switch it hangs a bit and then gives me this message "The switch and manager IP address are not in the same subnet!" and denies me further access. I am on a 192.168.1.xxx subnet but the switch is on a 192.168.0.xxx subnet. Any help with this issue would be appreciated.
Old October 6th, 2010, 03:12 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GS105E not in same subnet error

The utility most likely provides a way to set the ip addresss of the switch - use it to set an ip address in the same subnet as the computer you are using, before attempting to access the switch.

In the unlikely event that the utility does not, set a temporary static address in the switch's subnet, access the switch and change the ip address as required.
Old February 6th, 2011, 08:44 PM

kamenfrell is on a distinguished road

The book claims that if the switch does not get a DCHP IP, it defaults to the 0.239 one. Well, I have DHCP and it did not get one so I got the same thing. Only way to get around it is to change your subnet to 192.168.0.* then set a static IP and go back to your previous range.
I did see that the latest firmware is 1.0.14 so maybe that fixes the DHCP issue.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:03 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

use PC with static IP same subnet as switch subnet should fix the issues
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:45 AM

puflet is on a distinguished road

I got the same error,,,,
After I found that your management program doesn't work in Wine, I had to install Windows on a dedicated machine to be able to access that switch.
And guess what - I cannot, because it is not in the same subnet! Routing works perfectly between switch's and manager's IP, but it says they are in different networks.
So ... this switch goes right to the trash can.
Old March 24th, 2011, 03:55 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Trash the switch if you want (better yet mail it to me) - the issue you are having is one of basic network addressing - and the easiest way around it is to temporarily set a static on the host you are accessing the switch from.

One point to clarify before I continue - you say "routing works perfectly between the switch's and the manager's ip, but it says they are in different networks" - do you have the two on the same network segment or is there actually a router in between them? If I am right there is no "routing" taking place.

The SmartWizard uses broadcast technology to "discover" the switch and can use this same technology to set an ip address
Connect the manager directly to the switch and run the wiz
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:27 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

get free angry IP Scanner and check your IP of the switch that is sitting.

setup static IP on PC with the result you find.
Old March 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Glitched is on a distinguished road

If you haven't trashed your device yet try checking the following:

1)Check IP of your computer, if your computer doesn't have an IP address of 192.168.0.x, then you're not in the same subnet as the GS105E

2) If you have a wireless adapter disable it, sometimes Windows sets your wireless network as your primary network which can cause problems when using the utility.

If you don't know how to set a static IP address go to: http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm
Old June 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM

Docboy is on a distinguished road

Dear all,

Sorry to do some "forum archeology" about this message but I just get a GS116E showing the same exact error message.

Frankly nothing serious, I do not intend to trash or send the device back to Netgear (a bit extreme I think) but in my opinion (only mine, feel free to have a different one ) only advanced users with knowledges in LAN admin can setup the product. Why?

In the package I found a A1 format poster with all the existing switches from Netgear, from the smallest to the largest. Thanks, but I rather prefer to have a small manual with the default password annoted...

It will be of no consequences if the manual was included on the CD. As it is not the case I have to download it from Netgear. OK, now I knew the default password

Then I got the error message, as for 99% of the private users in the world my network is in the range 192.168.1.xxx... I didn't worried much because the ProSafe Plus Utility gave me the default IP address, so I guessed I could HTTP:// it... well, no!

This thread gave me the solution (changing the LAN range of my PC to 192.168.0.xxx just to configure the device, then back to DHCP, release, renew..) and all is working

But for a consumer product it is a lot of steps to know to get it working and I wonder if anyone can do them ? Maybe in the future, to enhance the user experience:
- a manual will replace the A1 poster, or at least...
- the .pdf manual will be part of the CD and...
- the default IP will be 192.168.1.239 instead of 192.168.0.239

In the meantime maybe an explanation how to do the IP change can be inserted in the .pdf ?

As I said before it is only my two cents and apart from these remarks (constructive, I hope) the device is excellent, offering for a moderate price functionalities found normally in large enterprise switches.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Glitched is on a distinguished road

Prosafe isn't consumer side of NETGEAR. However, home users(consumers) do still purchase the products