Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Range Extenders & Repeaters

Old July 6th, 2011, 10:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hughesco is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WNCE2001 setup problems

I found this forum while attempting to configure the WNCE for a special need. This post did not help much, however, since it comes to the top in Google for "wnce2001 static" or "wnce2001 setup", I thought I'd share my experience. Wanting to give my modded XBOX classic freedom from the CAT6 leash, I picked up this little gem. My home network is behind a Linux Firewall/Router with static assignments in the LAN. Configuring a wireless access point to not give out DHCP and allow all the wireless devices to use the same LAN subnet as the wired PC's is a little out of the norm for most wireless router setups. Anyhow, back to the WNCE2001. I connected it to my laptop (had to set Network card to get DHCP, that's what the WNCE gives out) and went to configure it. Not as straight forward as the manual might indicate. The WNCE gave my laptop a DHCP address, however, when I attempted to configure the device through it's web interface, it kept redirecting me to the setup wizard (Firmware Version 1.0.0.25). I figured out, the device is likely detecting it's lack of connection to the wireless router and pushing to connect to it. I could not figure out how to bypass this wizard, it kept failing at the point of getting an IP address. http://mywifiext.com/start.htm will quite likely bypass the wizard and show the current settings allowing access to the advanced config. I could not use WPS, as it depends on the connecting device to be configured with a static IP (not possible in the wizard) or your wireless access point must give out DHCP (mine does not). Another way to get past the wizard, while a little hassle, is to configure the access point to give a few DHCP addresses to the LAN (temporarily). Then you can get through the wizard. With your access point giving out DHCP you can manually configure with the wizard or use WPS if your AP supports it. Finally able to get at the advanced configuration select IP Address Setup from the menu. I configured the device with a static IP address, giving it the LAN's gateway and DNS. Once the configuration change saves, the WNCE gives the device connected to it (my laptop) a new IP, mine gave 1 octet increment from what it's own IP was configured for (I set the WNCE for 192.168.200.15, it gave my laptop 192.168.200.16). You'd think this was the success at last, oh no! My LAN gateway/DNS is the Linux firewall 192.168.200.1, yet the wireless AP LAN address (allows access to the AP web configuration) is 192.168.200.61, remember, this AP is just another device in the LAN, like a PC, it's WAN it not connected. Even though the WNCE was given a static IP and the LAN gateway/DNS of 192.168.200.1, it is connected to the AP which has a LAN IP of 192.168.200.61. So when the WNCE gives a DHCP to the device connected to it, it gives 192.168.200.61 as the gateway and DNS. This is wrong, the device connected to the WNCE is simply another device in the LAN and must use the 192.168.200.1 as a gateway and DNS to surf the net and the network for that matter. Easy enough, now that the WNCE is configured with a static IP in the LAN, the connected device can be returned to it's static IP, ignoring the DHCP the WNCE is giving it. Wee HA, success.

Even though this is a serious read, hopefully someone will get what they need.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hughesco is on a distinguished road

I found this forum while attempting to configure the WNCE for a special need. This post did not help much, however, since it comes to the top in Google for "wnce2001 static" or "wnce2001 setup", I thought I'd share my experience. Wanting to give my modded XBOX classic freedom from the CAT6 leash, I picked up this little gem. My home network is behind a Linux Firewall/Router with static assignments in the LAN. Configuring a wireless access point to not give out DHCP and allow all the wireless devices to use the same LAN subnet as the wired PC's is a little out of the norm for most wireless router setups. Anyhow, back to the WNCE2001. I connected it to my laptop (had to set Network card to get DHCP, that's what the WNCE gives out) and went to configure it. Not as straight forward as the manual might indicate. The WNCE gave my laptop a DHCP address, however, when I attempted to configure the device through it's web interface, it kept redirecting me to the setup wizard (Firmware Version 1.0.0.25). I figured out, the device is likely detecting it's lack of connection to the wireless router and pushing to connect to it. I could not figure out how to bypass this wizard, it kept failing at the point of getting an IP address. http://mywifiext.com/start.htm will quite likely bypass the wizard and show the current settings allowing access to the advanced config. I could not use WPS, as it depends on the connecting device to be configured with a static IP (not possible in the wizard) or your wireless access point must give out DHCP (mine does not). Another way to get past the wizard, while a little hassle, is to configure the access point to give a few DHCP addresses to the LAN (temporarily). Then you can get through the wizard. With your access point giving out DHCP you can manually configure with the wizard or use WPS if your AP supports it. Finally able to get at the advanced configuration select IP Address Setup from the menu. I configured the device with a static IP address, giving it the LAN's gateway and DNS. Once the configuration change saves, the WNCE gives the device connected to it (my laptop) a new IP, mine gave 1 octet increment from what it's own IP was configured for (I set the WNCE for 192.168.200.15, it gave my laptop 192.168.200.16). You'd think this was the success at last, oh no! My LAN gateway/DNS is the Linux firewall 192.168.200.1, yet the wireless AP LAN address (allows access to the AP web configuration) is 192.168.200.61, remember, this AP is just another device in the LAN, like a PC, it's WAN it not connected. Even though the WNCE was given a static IP and the LAN gateway/DNS of 192.168.200.1, it is connected to the AP which has a LAN IP of 192.168.200.61. So when the WNCE gives a DHCP to the device connected to it, it gives 192.168.200.61 as the gateway and DNS. This is wrong, the device connected to the WNCE is simply another device in the LAN and must use the 192.168.200.1 as a gateway and DNS to surf the net and the network for that matter. Easy enough, now that the WNCE is configured with a static IP in the LAN, the connected device can be returned to it's static IP, ignoring the DHCP the WNCE is giving it. Wee HA, success.

Even though this is a serious read, hopefully someone will get what they need.
Old July 7th, 2011, 05:32 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

I want even read without paragraph.. just got dizzy looking at ...
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old October 26th, 2011, 03:39 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

decypher01 is on a distinguished road

Do a reset on your WNCE2001 connect the adapter again to your laptop (TURN OFF YOUR WIRELESS) if it is giving you 192.168.1.100 that's normal since the adapter provides that kind of IP, no need to set static on the LAN adapter just use Dynamic.

as soon as you connect to your main network thru the interface the WNCE2001 will provide a new IP range in line with your main router.