Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old October 28th, 2010, 09:52 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road
Default [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security]

If any of you guys are getting this error then can you file a report at my.netgear.com...
I sent one in and they gave me basic links on how to set up my router and wireless settings :/....
My laptop was on today and I wasnt at it (perhaps the kids were on it) and the logs show this...

[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.5] to MAC address 00:23:31:5e:d0:81, Thursday, October 28,2010 14:55:40

[WLAN access rejected: incorrect security] from MAC address 00:23:31:5e:d0:81, Thursday, October 28,2010 14:54:43

Now, This was rare for me at one point, mainly happening to the wifes pc when it came out of a hibernation.. But I dont like the fact that it's started happening on my main laptop. Rebooting or Restarting the adapter will instantly get me a connection so it's not a huge issue BUT there is a problem somewhere.

This could be an OS issue.. But if everyone who suffers this problem reports it then Netgear should be able to build a profile and find out what is at fault...

Old October 28th, 2010, 10:16 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

NatRay is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security]

Hello jlewter . . .

I have seen this problem . . . It's generated by one of the two SSID (s) (2.4GHz or 5GHz) not using the correct security option. Navigate to:

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Manage Wireless Networks . . .

Select the 'Security' tab of the properties of each . . . unless you have chosen differently on the WNDR3700, they should match . . .
Cox Communications > SB6120 DOCSIS 3.0 > WNDR3700v1 (2) *AP via Wired Backbone* > Ooma Telo / D-Link DGS-1024D > NeoTV-550 (3) . . .** Qosmio-X505 **
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/14/11) std. Build 18007
Optimize your network: Disable IPv6 . . . Post responsibly . . .
‘Quality trumps Quantity’
Old October 28th, 2010, 11:01 AM
NETGEAR Addict

Default Re: [WLAN access rejected: incorrect security]

Well, It usually starts working again on it's own :P...
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:09 PM
NETGEAR User

unixsystem is on a distinguished road

Are both of your ssids using the same name with different encryption?
Old October 28th, 2010, 12:49 PM
NETGEAR Addict

It's happening with 2 laptops
I use 2 different SSID's on this router and a Another SSID for another device.

One laptop can only work in the 2.4ghz band and it has two wireless connections set up.

The other laptop can work in both bands but only uses the 3700.

All 3 of those wireless connections use the same security key (23 digit key)
After initial set-up of my devices I hae NEVER had to put the security details back on (except when I am testing things for this forum)...
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:17 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

NickMili is on a distinguished road

I have a bunch of these in my logs - one MAC address belongs to my Motorola Droid, which will connect to my guest network using WPA2-PSK but not my main network which uses WPA2-Enterprise. The other MAC addresses most likely belong to other wireless devices in my range that don't belong to me, but may be attempting to connect.
Old January 1st, 2011, 05:05 PM

mikecanniff is on a distinguished road

I finally detected what happened with my encounter with the error message. First I attempted to go through standard channels of support - what a joke. NetGear support is the classic outsourced (lack of) support. No one had a clue as to what was going on and were only able to go through the standard script process. And it turns out that my printer was out of phone support. By the time I got escalated to level 2 support - all they wanted to do was sell me an extended warrany. Arrgggh!

Anyways, I was able to get a hold of the .75 driver (beta) from one of the forum members. Anyways, this driver has a lot more debug messages. Basically most traffic notifications are written to the log. So I noticed that one device was creating this error

IEEE 802.11: Michael MIC failure detected in received frame

This errors indicates a possible virus attack. Once this error occurs, the WNDR3700 kicks all PCs on the band (24G) off with this message:

IEEE 802.11: disassociated

Then when the devices ping their next packet it results in the reported error message:

WLAN access rejected: incorrect security

After that all of the devices can re-connect. It turns out that this was our Nintendo Wii. I don't know why the Wii was sending the bad packets. But once we disconnected the device from the network, everything was OK. I then reverted back to the .68 driver.