Old November 8th, 2010, 04:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Daddu is on a distinguished road
Question Problem streaming MKV movies

This is my setup;
WNDR3700 V1.0.4.75NA R18 Attached USB HD WD 2TB
Samsung LCD TV LN40B750
Samsung LED UN40C7000

The problem I am facing is when I am wireless streaming mkv format videos I get unrecognized file format on both TVs.
When I connect either TV with a Cat5 cable (wired), I can stream the movies without any problem.

Now it gets more interesting knowing that I can stream wireless and wired movies in AVI and MP4 format, and play them fine.
I can also play on the TVs any movies (mkv, avi, mp4) using an external USB HD.

I am using the 2.4 GHz to stream, because the 5 GHz signal is too weak where I have the TVs.

What is going on here?. Is there a wireless setting that might be affecting ONLY a specific file format?. I am clueless

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Richard
Old November 9th, 2010, 04:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

prim1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problem streaming MKV movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddu View Post
This is my setup;
WNDR3700 V1.0.4.75NA R18 Attached USB HD WD 2TB
Samsung LCD TV LN40B750
Samsung LED UN40C7000

The problem I am facing is when I am wireless streaming mkv format videos I get unrecognized file format on both TVs.
When I connect either TV with a Cat5 cable (wired), I can stream the movies without any problem.

Now it gets more interesting knowing that I can stream wireless and wired movies in AVI and MP4 format, and play them fine.
I can also play on the TVs any movies (mkv, avi, mp4) using an external USB HD.

I am using the 2.4 GHz to stream, because the 5 GHz signal is too weak where I have the TVs.

What is going on here?. Is there a wireless setting that might be affecting ONLY a specific file format?. I am clueless

Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Richard
Sounds like you don't have sufficient bandwidth to stream the file and are getting dropped packets which the TV can't reassemble quick enough to read the file format.

What are you connected at and what's the actual throughput if you copy something from a wired device on your network?

Have you optimized your wireless settings in relation to the other networks around you?
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Daddu is on a distinguished road

Prim1,

Thank you for your feedback.
Regarding the bandwidth issue, I get about 3-4 MB/s, which is more than sufficient (I think). Moreover other formats like AVI and MP4 play just fine.
The throughput I get wired from the USB external is about 10 MB/s. If I am right besides the router, I would get 6-7 MB/s wireless.

I have checked the neighbor's 2.4 channels, and I don't think I have much (if any) conflicts. I am using channel 10, and I see weak signals around on channels 1, 6 and 11.

Thanks

Richard
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:02 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

prim1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Prim1,

Thank you for your feedback.
Regarding the bandwidth issue, I get about 3-4 MB/s, which is more than sufficient (I think). Moreover other formats like AVI and MP4 play just fine.
That could be cutting it a little close depending on the bitrate of the movie. Can your TV open the MMS or RTSP protocol? I would try using VLC to drop the bitrate a bit and see if that helps. You say streaming AVI's and other formats run fine which leads me to believe it's bandwidth problem since lower bitrates stream okay.

Quote:
I have checked the neighbor's 2.4 channels, and I don't think I have much (if any) conflicts. I am using channel 10, and I see weak signals around on channels 1, 6 and 11.
Ideally you'd want to use 1, 6, or 11, even if there are other networks around using that channel but have low SnR's, it shouldn't affect things too much, and hopefully those other routers around you are setup using CCA (clear channel assessment) so they'll automatically switch to different channels.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:42 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

NetGearUser84 is on a distinguished road

Why would you suggest someone use 1, 6, or 11 over an unused channel 10 ?

I would switch to 8 actually.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM
NETGEAR Addict

jlewter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGearUser84 View Post
Why would you suggest someone use 1, 6, or 11 over an unused channel 10 ?

I would switch to 8 actually.
Because 10 can hear whispers from 6 and 11...
Or rather, you could have some collisions with both chans, not just one..
Stick with 1 6 or 11.. But for testing If your TV has WiFi then I would try moving the router close (say about 10-20 feet, with no walls/large furniture inbetween) and see how well it works... If your using a wireless dongle in the TV then that could be the problem point too...

TV's are really noisy when it comes to wireless frequencys, so wired is best, or if your using a dongle then a usb extension (if it uses a usb lead) may make things work.