Old November 9th, 2010, 05:05 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rpz620 is on a distinguished road
Default WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

All of my devices can continually access the WN2000RPT device and access the local network as well as the internet. However, after some time, the internet connection drops for the repeater only - I can still access the local network but not the internet.

Is there a timeout or something that would cause it to lose it's connection? Seems that bouncing the repeater works, albeit temporarily.

thanks.
Ryan
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rupert1020 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

I have the same kind of problem. Check to see if there are duplicate ip or MAC addresses of devices connected to your router and WN2000RPT ?

In my configuration, it does not seem to be a wi-fi link problem between the router and the WN2000RPT but rather some kind of conflict with the addresses the connected devices are getting. Netgear should really look into this problem and release firmware that passes on the MAC addresses properly.
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:54 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rpz620 is on a distinguished road

agree on the need for a fix - it's basically a brick until they fix this.

Is there a simple way to check?

Assuming a reset of the repeater gets fresh IP's for all connected devices therefore leaving no conflicts until hours or days later when other devices come online.
Old November 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpz620 View Post
agree on the need for a fix - it's basically a brick until they fix this.

Is there a simple way to check?

Assuming a reset of the repeater gets fresh IP's for all connected devices therefore leaving no conflicts until hours or days later when other devices come online.
Actually, it's the router that distributes the IP addresses. The WN2000RPT has an internal DHCP server which can be turned on. I had to turn mine off because it was sending out IP addresses to the attached devices which sometimes created conflicts.

See the FAQ for more information on how to turn the DHCP server on/off
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14239

Depending on your router you can check the ip/mac addresses from a web browser. With Netgear routers use 192.168.1.1 by default. I have a WNR3500L with dd-wrt running on it. I upgraded the original firmware on the router thinking it was the source of the problems. Although the drops are much less frequent now with dd-wrt installed, I still suspect the repeater (WN2000RPT) to be causing the drops.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:21 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Loudog2 is on a distinguished road

Mine has been doing the same. I noticed while watching a movie. The wifi light would go from green to orange to red, then back. I've been trying to figure this out also. It cycles through the lights in about 10 seconds then all is fine again.
Old November 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I just checked the attached devices and it doesn't show the 2000RPT. I am using it a a bridge to my 3700. It does show the devices hard wired into the back though(directv dvr, sony bravia, sony blu-ray), but no 2000RPT.
Old November 10th, 2010, 02:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

it's a mystery ... could someone from Netgear clear-up the question about the duplicate MAC addresses ? I'm not sure if this is normal and / or if it is causing the disconnects. Thank's
Old November 13th, 2010, 03:37 PM

charlienetgear is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

I have been having this problem too, but I think I may have resolved it....

The problem i think is that the repeater is configured to get a dynamic IP address from the router's DHCP. Instead of letting it do that, I set it up as a static ip address.

I've been using it now for a few hours and it seems much more reliable.

If you don't know how to do it, follow two steps...
1) Log into your wireless router (not the extender) and reserve an IP address (something high like 196.168.1.252) for the extender . If you are using Netgear, you can configure it in LAN settings section. You may need to get the MAC address from the extender which you can get from it's settings.
2) Log into the wifi extender (the 2000RPT). Undoer IP Address set up select use static IP address.

Let me know if that works for the rest of you!
Old November 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I've done that but it didn't seem to help. I have put an old AP (WG102) on the router and am using that until NEtgear comes out with new firmware.
Old November 14th, 2010, 12:31 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yea!! This is getting annoying. I was watching the football game today and watched it cycle through the wifi lights every 5 min. Meaning it goes from green, to red, to orange and back to green. I can't figure it out. Can a mod maybe chime in here with a solution. I might return it since it hasn't been 30 days yet.