Old November 22nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

rpz620 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

Trying Charlie's suggestion

Netgear told me it is a hardware problem and offered to swap it out at no cost - however, I think it's a firmware issue. this happens pretty consistently at about 24 hours so there's something more than hardware here especially because a recycle fixes it.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:17 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Loudog2 is on a distinguished road

At least they are swapping it out. I'm still going back and fourth with tech support through e-mails. This is frustrating since I'm using it throough my home theater. I have to keep bringing it upstairs to the computer to change setting, then bring it back down to see if it works.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 06:47 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I sent them an email telling them everything I did on the call with them and also explained that any device connected directly to my router does not experience these issues. I told them everything I did to troubleshoot/fix with them - re-flash firmware, hard reset and reconfigure (dozens of times), change channel of router (doesn't make sense to me how this would fix) and others and then said - "what's next to troubleshoot" - from there they told me to send it back.

I did just hard code the IP address for the device on the router - see if that works.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Loudog2 is on a distinguished road

I set up a static IP for the device and router. It shows up if nothing is on that is wired to it(back of 2000). But if something is turned on through the 2000 it shows a different IP and doesn't show the static I gave the device/router. Power cycling does help for a bit, then back to signal drops.
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM

jerryv is on a distinguished road

Guys, same issue for me (you are not alone)

Do you have apple devices on the network ?? I have a lot and I have a theory that the apple protocols maybe confusing it ???

I have

Belkin ADSL router (and DHCP server)
Airport extreme as my primary access point
and the WN2000RPT
Old December 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM

zahc712 is on a distinguished road

I have tried everything in order for my extender to not drop the connection and have failed. I called tech support and they wanted me to pay for the support! I have had the router less than two weeks. I have updated the firmware changed to static ip I have done it all and it will still drop! I. Am returning this and getting another brand.
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ondart is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem here. This product is completely useless. It disconnects and stays disconnected forever until I reset the WN2000RPT. Once reset, it works for a while and then disconnects from the wireless router, sometimes in 15 min, sometimes in an hour or so.

Status is all green all the time. Devices on the bridge can access each other. Devices on the router can reach each other and the Internet. Devices on the bridge can't reach devices on the router or the Internet. Firmware is up to date.

I was on hold for tech support for 25 min and then got disconnected. What kind of company is this!!! Not happy. I could use some help so I don't have to return the product as defective.
Old December 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

there is no question it's a firmware issue but Netgear appears to be in denial. They told me to return it for a new one which I did and it has identical problems.

Keep plugging away with them and eventually they will issue a code fix but until then, this thing is a brick for me.

I have tried about a dozen different configurations, flashes, swapped out for a new one, etc and the internet connection drops - i am still able to access the local network but no internet access via the repeater only - I can easily access internet if I connect to the router itself.
Old December 29th, 2010, 12:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have resolved this issue. My Netgear WN2000RPT Bridge would disconnect randomly from my DLink DGL-4500 Wireless Router. The lights on the bridge always stayed green when this happened and it would occur about every hour more or less. All wireless and wired devices on the bridge would still be able to ping each other but no internet access was available. All wireless and wired devices on the Netgear router could ping each other and could access the Internet. The connection between the bridge and the router was the problem.

Looking at the router statistics, i was able to tell that the bridge MAC address was registered properly on the router as an active connection but the connection was not functional. I decided to start changing the Wireless Channels, there are 12 channels in the 2.4 GHz band for 802.11N. I started with channel 1 and I was suddenly able to ping a device on the bridge. I began with copying a 100MB file over the bridge to the remote device. Within 5 min, the connection would drop. I kept changing the channel until the bridge stopped disconnecting. I ended up setting the router to "Auto Channel Scan". This also worked so I left it at that. It's been up 24 hours now with heavy traffic over the bridge and no drops.

I found another problem and this is likely the root cause. I have an RF Logitech MX mouse and RF keyboard. Mousing around was intermittently jerky and keys would not consistently function properly when heavy traffic, i.e. copying a 100MB file over the bridge, was performed. I changed the router to each of the 12 channels on the 2.4GHz band with no change. When the traffic was low from the router to the bridge, the keyboard and mouse issues would go away. So i have a conflict on the 2.4 GHz band and the darn Logitech RF devices are not channel configurable unfortunately. I don't want to replace my $180 keyboard/mouse combo so I am not sure what to do about it yet.

Here are a few other things I did during troubleshooting that may also be of some help:
- Turn off DHCP on the Bridge (http://www.mywifiext.net/cgi-bin/hidden_dhcpd.html)
- Configure the Bridge with a Static IP address, i.e. 192.168.0.10.
- Change the wireless range on the Router to something like 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200 for DHCP clients and set the Bridge to use a range of 192.168.0.201 - 192.168.0.254. This will prevent DHCP IP conflicts.
- Hard code devices that you want to have the same IP addresses in the lower range on the router, i.e. 291.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.99 for example.

Anyway, I struggled with all this and these changes resolved my problems. I hope this can help others with the same issue.

Got any ideas about my RF keyboard conflict? Please speak up!

Joe
Old December 29th, 2010, 01:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I can't seem to edit my previous post. Here are a couple of corrections:

In the bulleted items, I meant to say "Turn On" DHCP, not "Turn Off" DHCP.

The IP address above "291.168.0.1" is a typo, it should have been "192.168.0.1

Joe