Old July 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM

PhilBofa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WN2000RPT - Internet Access Keeps Dropping

Hi I am new to this forum and have been following it for the same solution to the WN2000RPT dilemma that we all have been experiencing. Please keep in mind that I am not extremely technical but I do get by. I am trouble free for the past 48 hours and was wondering if I may have stumbled onto a solution.

This is what I have and what is on my network

Comcast Cable Modem with the Triple Play package
Netgear router WNR1000v2-VC supplied by Comcast
Obviously the WN2000RPT extender

On my network at any given time are;
1 iPhone 3Gs running lasted iOS
1 iPhone 3Gs running 4.1 iOS
1 iPad 1st Gen running lastest iOS
1 Acer laptop running Vista Home SP1
1 PS3
1 Apple TV 1st Gen last iOS
1 Old HP Desktop running XP SP3 (hardwired to router)

I was experiencing the same problem with connectivity to the internet through the extender dropping once a day and yet at the same time still able to connect to the extender.

Just a side note: One thing I found odd. (maybe it comes from my inexperience)

On the router setup "Access List" I noticed that certain devices would show up and then not when I know the devices were connected via the extender. And in most cases a device would show up with the extender's MAC address. I could never replicate the same list. It frustrated me.

My fix SO FAR...

I decided to recycle my modem, router and extender at the same time reboot my desktop.

I started by disconnecting in this order

modem (do not forget to remove the backup battery if applicable)
router
extender
then shut down desktop

then after 15 mins I reconnected and started (waiting for each to fully boot)

my modem
then router
then extender
then booted the desktop

I am wondering if certain MAC or IP addresses need to be flushed (excuse the lack of correct terminology) and everything needs a clean start.

I am still anticipating my problem to come back. But, so far so good.
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:17 AM

PhilBofa is on a distinguished road

Hi I am new to this forum and have been following it for the same solution to the WN2000RPT dilemma that we all have been experiencing. Please keep in mind that I am not extremely technical but I do get by. I am trouble free for the past 48 hours and was wondering if I may have stumbled onto a solution.

This is what I have and what is on my network

Comcast Cable Modem with the Triple Play package
Netgear router WNR1000v2-VC supplied by Comcast
Obviously the WN2000RPT extender

On my network at any given time are;
1 iPhone 3Gs running lasted iOS
1 iPhone 3Gs running 4.1 iOS
1 iPad 1st Gen running lastest iOS
1 Acer laptop running Vista Home SP1
1 PS3
1 Apple TV 1st Gen last iOS
1 Old HP Desktop running XP SP3 (hardwired to router)

I was experiencing the same problem with connectivity to the internet through the extender dropping once a day and yet at the same time still able to connect to the extender.

Just a side note: One thing I found odd. (maybe it comes from my inexperience)

On the router setup "Access List" I noticed that certain devices would show up and then not when I know the devices were connected via the extender. And in most cases a device would show up with the extender's MAC address. I could never replicate the same list. It frustrated me.

My fix SO FAR...

I decided to recycle my modem, router and extender at the same time reboot my desktop.

I started by disconnecting in this order

modem (do not forget to remove the backup battery if applicable)
router
extender
then shut down desktop

then after 15 mins I reconnected and started (waiting for each to fully boot)

my modem
then router
then extender
then booted the desktop

I am wondering if certain MAC or IP addresses need to be flushed (excuse the lack of correct terminology) and everything needs a clean start.

I am still anticipating my problem to come back. But, so far so good.
Old July 17th, 2011, 02:13 AM

epalzeolithe is on a distinguished road

As far as i can see, its better since i used an old 54mbps wifi router as source for the WN2000RPT,

it seems the issue is coming from the wifi N which is very unstable with my livebox 2

i don't if its the signal which is too low, or the compatibility of N standard

I still have some drop with the 54mbps, but its not so often as before

We can download the source for the firmware, so we may do a custom firmware to fix it, like auto reset if internet is dropped, or force 54mbps mode

BR
Old July 24th, 2011, 07:18 PM

kspartin is on a distinguished road

I am using a WNR3500L router (using WPA2-PSK [AES]) and the WN2000RPT extender. What I am noticing is that the WN2000RPT is getting DHCP requests from the router for devices connected to the extender, but the router is not logging the IP addresses as in use under the Attached Devices page. I'm wondering if that can be causing a conflict? Right now I am making sure that my DVR and DVD player are assigned static addresses from the router. I am seeing that the router is providing the fixed IP addresses to the DVR and DVD player. I'll see if this helps.
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM

FootySr is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspartin View Post
What I am noticing is that the WN2000RPT is getting DHCP requests from the router for devices connected to the extender, but the router is not logging the IP addresses as in use under the Attached Devices page. I'm wondering if that can be causing a conflict?
My WNR2000v3 stopped logging IP addresses on the Attached Devices page after updating my WN2000RPT to the current 1.0.1.20 firmware today. All connections are listed on the WN2000RPT however, if it matters.

I'm not sure that particular issue is causing any effect but I've had the same issues with my WN2000RPT having to be power cycled at least once a day to get connectivity back both before and after the 1.0.1.20 WN2000RPT firmware update I mentioned above.

I'm in a different boat here as I've only just updated my home network with new Netgear options in the last week and it's not to late to return them. That said, I'd love to see a fix for this particular issue so I can go about not dealing with a network that should be running smooth enough not to have to think about.
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:06 PM

ikarys is on a distinguished road

I have this disconnection problem also.

The wireless disconnect is between the wn2000rpt and the access point (netgear cg3000).

The only way to rectify the problem is to power cycle the repeater.

This problem should be acknowledged by netgear and fixed. I am getting very close to returning this potentially awesome product.

My phones, laptops, desktops, ipads etc do not drop signal and require reboot, so why does this wn2000rpt?

I am on the latest firmware.

I'm also a 12 year IT veteran and can isolate these kinds of problems.
Old August 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM

THussey is on a distinguished road

I am new to this list, but might have a few answers...
I also had initial problems with set up and took a long time figuring things out. I am using my WN2000RPT with an old Dlink G router (DI-624). The first problem I found with disconnects was from my changing the router's address and thus the gateway address. When the extender or a connected device went to access the internet the status led changed to red. I had set this up with manual settings. On fixing this, I found also that having extender connected devices in the fixed routing table on the Dlink also caused disconnects. When the Dlink sees a packet up from the extender with a mis-match of IP address and MAC address (which happens because of the extender), dlink logged a spoof attack and shut down the link. All traffic from the extender has the extender's IP and the specific devices MAC in the packet. The spoof attack caused the router to disconnected the extender and ...red led. Hope this might help folks here. My system is now up, stable and the discovery works. Took a long time to set up. I believe documentation needs to be upgraded.
Old August 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM

FootySr is on a distinguished road

Just a follow up... I put my WN2000RPT on a static IP and the issue was better, connected for a couple days without having to reboot. Then the same thing started happening again. Probably just a fluke in the first place having 2 days of up time.

I returned my WN2000RPT last week and picked up another WNR2000v3 router. I haven't tried hooking up the repeater function as I already had an ethernet cable ran to the wireless access point from my last network installation that I replaced. So I just turned off DHCP and plugged it in to my other router. All good again.

It's to bad this issue hasn't been fixed after so long. Next time my network needs updating I'll probably just move back to D-Link. We'll see.
Old August 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM

misfet is on a distinguished road

I did some troubleshooting on my system that has similar symptoms to those described in this thread. I think its more of a degrade over time until it cuts off.

i don't think DHCP, IP, or any of the other settings affect it. Its just either bad hardware or firmware.

i started a new thread around this specific hypothesis:
WN2000RPT wifi signal degrades over time
Old August 14th, 2011, 06:55 AM

LouB is on a distinguished road

My system is a netgear WNDR3700v2 wireless N router and WN2000RPT repeater. I too have experienced the typical repeater Internet access failures. Yesterday I upgraded the firmware on both devices and so far the network is working 100% normally. The firmware upgrades were WN2000RPT-V1.0.1.20NA and WNDR3700v2-1.0.0.10.

The 1.0.0.10 was said to fix the wireless disconnect issue. I think it has. YAHOO!!!!

LouB
Ct, USA