Old November 13th, 2010, 10:13 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

thoir is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR37AV/WNDR3700 fluctuations/issues

Hello my name is John and I just bought a WNDR37AV router to replace my WRT600N router. My setup is a little mixed so I will go into my setup first then the issues I am having. I am in a three story house and the WNDR37AV is on the middle floor I have it hooked up to a Motorola SURFboard SB6120 on SHAW (Canada) internet it is a 100 down 5 up connection. I then have one computer hooked up to the router directly then I have a mixture of 2 linksys PLK300 powerline adapters and 2 linksys PLK200 powerline adapters hooked up to the router as well. I have a WRT610N setup as a wireless bridge to another computer also on the second floor. Have 4 desktops connected at all times and then I have 1 laptop connected most of the time and 1 laptop that is connected wirelessly occasionally. Most of the computers are running Windows 7 64 bit only one is windows xp home and Windows vista home basic. Now onto the issues 1. I use torrents a lot and I have found them to fluctuate a lot versus my old router WRT600N which did not have this issue. 2. On the third floor the internet from one of the PLK300 adapters fluctuates as well some web sites like this one takes a lot longer to load than it use to on my old router as well. I am running the latest Firmware 1.0.4.68NA if anyone could give me some possible fixes that would be great
thanks John
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:24 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR37AV/WNDR3700 fluctuations/issues

have you stop torrents and see the traffice

3700 should able to handle higher session but you may want to reduce the concurrent setting in the torrents and/or adjust bandwidth for torrents to be used in torrent app
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:30 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have stopped the torrents and I still have issues with the net on the third floor I have also tried to change the setting I use utorrent and they have a auto bandwidth tool that changes the setting if I need to do more or if you have and ideas I am all ears
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:49 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

try disable SPI or port scan & DoS and see if traffic gets better .. router's wan setup
Old November 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

thanks for the suggestion I am trying it now I will report back any changes
Old November 13th, 2010, 12:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have tried those settings and I do have faster internet on the third floor but it is still not at the speed it was on my old router. I also tried a torrent and it still fluctuates a lot. Any other settings I should try?
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM
NETGEAR Expert

Simon0 is on a distinguished road

You need to change wireless channels as your wrt600 probably uses a different wireless channel. I recommend using a wired nas for torrents as it reduces interference for others in the neighborhood as torrents tend to saturate the wireless channel continuously.

Also, you are limited to about 4 thousand connections w/ the wndr3700, so if you are starting more than 10 heavily seeded w/ ALOT of peers and DHT/PEX enabled, you'll overwhelm this router.

If you are heavily into torrents, no consumer router can work flawlessly, do your research, use wndr3700 as an AP, run m0n0wall or pfsense to saturate WAN and reach your ISP cap in no time.
Old November 13th, 2010, 06:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have replaced my WRT600n router with the WNDR37AV any where I mostly torrent from is from my PC which is on the third floor I use one of the PLK300 adapters to the router. When I was using the WRT600N my average torrent speed was about 1.0-1.5MB/s not it goes from 30.0 KB/S to 1.5 MB/S so it is all over the place I am looking for any settings that will help stop the fluctuations.

P.S I only download one torrent at a time
Old November 16th, 2010, 03:22 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I just wanted everone to know I have fixed my issues it turns out it was my SB6120 modem from shaw (Canada) they flashed a new firmware to my modem and it did not take so my modem stated to act up. I swapped my modem with a new SB6120 and now my WNDR3700 is running great I have faster speeds than with my old router WRT600N so I am more than happy.
Old November 24th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Coppernet is on a distinguished road

thoir
I am looking into purchasing both SB6120 and WNDR37AV to upgrade my network and I was curious to know if you or anyone else had any problems combining these two items together?