Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Range Extenders & Repeaters

Old November 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM

hemidawgfan is on a distinguished road
Default n band wont show up

Hi, I'm not very computer savy. Bought a new router, WNDR3400 aka N600 dual band. Have it set up in wpa. Cant figure out how to configure it for n band. Can only get the g band to show up. Does the dual band mean I can have 2 different networks at once? Have tried several different settings and cant get the n band to show up. Doe's the length of the passphrase affect the security type? I know on my older model it did, but this one doesn't indicate that. Will I even benifit from the n band? I have At&t dsl at the fastest speed they offer (6g I believe). Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, bought this unit at Wally World for the Wal-Mart customer exclusive 90 day tech support, tried asking this twice, and keep getting cut off from Netgear. Do they just not want to give tech support? Or is this just coincidence?
Old November 21st, 2010, 03:14 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: n band wont show up

n is not a band - it's a standard.

Dual band refers to the routers ability to transmit in both the 2.4 & 5GHz frequency bands, however, that's of little use unless your wireless clients can use both bands.
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:12 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

msnancy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidawgfan View Post
Hi, I'm not very computer savy. Bought a new router, WNDR3400 aka N600 dual band. Have it set up in wpa. Cant figure out how to configure it for n band. Can only get the g band to show up.
By default it is N connection - to check go to Wireless Settings under Setup on the UI of the router.

The 2.4 GHz is 300mbps - Which is N connection
The 5 GHz is 300mbps - Which is also N connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidawgfan View Post
Does the dual band mean I can have 2 different networks at once?
Yes, you have wireless connection N (2.4 GHz) and another N (5 GHz)

Your adapter on your computer should be capable of 5 Ghz connection otherwise your can only see/connect to the N 2.4 GHz.

So consider buying a Dual band USB adapter.

Reminders, 5GHz connection has shorter range.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM

hemidawgfan is on a distinguished road

Now I'm even more confused.

The 2.4 GHz is 300mbps - Which is N connection
The 5 GHz is 300mbps - Which is also N connection

How do I know which speed I'm using/capable of on my laptop? It is brand new Windows 7. Only had it 2 weeks and I am trying to utilize the fastest connection. Only shows 54mbps on my network connection. When I change the router settings to wpa2 I lose connection. When on wpa it onlys allows 54mbps. But to go to 300mbps I need to be on wpa2 according to the router. I have the second band (5 GHz) set up in wpa2 and it doesn't show up. Could it be that my laptop doesn't support it? How can I find out? My understanding when I bought it was that it was capable of the "n" band which is what I thought was the speed. My understanding was that g was 54mbps and n was 300 mbps. The salesman at Best Buy assured me that any laptop in the price range I was looking at ($450 and up) would be capable of the n band, and would give me the full potential of the new router. That is partialy the reason I decided to go ahead with the purchase. If I can only run at 54mbps I will be quite upset as they only have a 14 day return policy.

Is there a website that I can go to that can teach me about wireless networking? Or maybe a wireless networks for dummies book?
Old November 22nd, 2010, 04:35 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

You need to determine the wireless specifications of laptop - and the best place to get this information is the laptop manufacturer.