Old November 26th, 2010, 11:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

G7NIR is on a distinguished road
Smile N150 Router Installation Issue

Hello,
I have recently been provided with a N150 ADSL2 modem router by my ISP (Orange). I already have my own 3Com router working OK on my home network. I cannot get the Netgear to work at all. Have tried both CD setup and manual setup. The ADSL led constantly flickers green but there is no on line connection to internet. The real worry with this unit is that I cannot access the router main menu via 192.168.0.1 Screen message says "..problem loading page...."The port led on the PC network card and the router are both lit. I have tried two PC's with same result. I am using the supplied yellow network cable but would have thought that my normal CAT5 cable used with the 3Com would be OK but I get the same result. Whilst not an expert by any means on networking, I have a reasonable knowledge. The fact that I cannot access the router indicates to me that the unit is faulty but I would welcome advice and help please. Unless I am doing something completely wrong, I will return it to the ISP but thought I would make an attempt first. Many thanks.....
Old November 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM

Soldatini is on a distinguished road
Default Re: N150 Router Installation Issue

I have exactly the same issue.
DGN1000. Tried 2 cables and 2 PC.
Tried with 3 web browser : Chrome, IE and FF.
I can ping the router but I can not telnet it on port 80
No way to access the router configuration for me.
If I use the CD provided with the box the smartwizard.exe crashes after about 5 minutes during the first step with no useful info.
I am stuck. Will get the router back to the seller and take another brand unless someone can shed a bit of light over this very weird behaviour.

P.S.: bye the way I have disabled any firewall on my pc to makes sure there were port blocking or filtering involved.

Any pointers will be appreciated.
Tks
Paolo
Old November 27th, 2010, 04:46 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

G7NIR is on a distinguished road

Hi Paolo,
I have not had any replies to my post and I have not been able to make any further progress. It is the fact that I cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 which I find really strange. Yes - my firewall is turned off and I have the same browsers as you ! I will keep trying and hope that somebody out there can assist ! If I receive any tips I will let you know. Good Luck... G7NIR (Lester)
Old November 28th, 2010, 07:56 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Kerubu is on a distinguished road

It's a little difficult to give a comprehensive answer to your problem but I can give you some pointers.

You say you've been given this modem/router by your ISP, does this mean you had an internet connection provided by another box prior to this? I'm assuming you use Windows on all your machines. I'm not an expert setting up windows because I use Linux but the way your local network operates will be the same i.e. it's independent of operating system.

When your computer boots up it does NOT have an IP address e.g. 192.168.2.1. during the boot process however there are two possible things that can happen. On your computer somewhere there is a file which will the your network card what it's IP will be - this is a so called STATIC IP. This is not normally the case these days with home networks and I imagine not what you have. The alternative is DYNAMIC IP and this is the norm these days. What happens in this case during the boot process is your network broadcasts on a known IP for a response from a DHCP server. The DHCP server is the controlling authority that issues IP addresses to machines that want to join the network and each time a computer boots up it receives an IP but not necessarily the same IP as the day before, hence DYNAMIC IP.

In your description you say you have a router in your network and this works fine with your network. this indicates that your machines DO have IP addresses assigned so either you have STATIC IPs or DYNAMIC IPs. It's possible your router has a DHCP server built in but you'd have to find that out for yourself. REfer to its manual about how to access its configuration page through your web browser. If if DOES have a DHCP server and it is enabled then this is possibly your problem with the netgear modem.

Most ADSL modems including your netgear one has a DHCP server and it WILL be enabled. So it's possible that in your network with your router AND netgear modem you have 2 DHCP servers trying to operate, which you cannot have.

When you try to access your netgear modem, is it plugged in to your router too? I suggest that you plug one of your computers into a free ethernet port on the netgear hub DIRECTLY. Do not have any other connection to any other device on your network. then try accessing the modem's config page.

Unfortunately I do not know how to check there is connectivity on ethernet on a windows machine. If you had a linux machine it would be easy!
Old November 29th, 2010, 09:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

TheLastMan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by G7NIR View Post
Hi Paolo,
I have not had any replies to my post and I have not been able to make any further progress. It is the fact that I cannot access the router via 192.168.0.1 which I find really strange. Yes - my firewall is turned off and I have the same browsers as you ! I will keep trying and hope that somebody out there can assist ! If I receive any tips I will let you know. Good Luck... G7NIR (Lester)
It is a very buggy router. I suggest contacting Orange and getting them to send a replacement.

Or, if you can afford it, buy a different make of Router. The Linksys WAG120N gets generally good reviews and is about 50 from the online retailers.