Old November 27th, 2010, 06:10 PM

tidoubleg3rr is on a distinguished road
Default N300 Wireless Router - Local Only (Vista)

Hey everyone,

I'm at my wits end here. I have AT&T Broadband internet. The modem does not act as a router that's why I purchased the N300 Wireless Router from Netgear. I currently have a desktop with Windows 7 connected directly to the router and that works fine. It's a Windows Vista desktop that's trying to connect wirelessly that has a problem. It connects but only says Local Only. It will not let me connect to the internet for some reason. I went through the motions of restarting, plugging, and all that good stuff people tell you to do. I also found something online that told me to disable the IP Helper service, the IPv6 as well as the DHCP Broadcast flag. None of that worked.

Any suggestions on what can be done?
Old November 27th, 2010, 07:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

liw is on a distinguished road
Default Re: N300 Wireless Router - Local Only (Vista)

I'm having the same problem, so you're not alone. Most of what you listed seems guesswork.

I did find something definitive: Check this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

This is a forum page from Microsoft, in which they explain how Vista and the router are incompatable due to the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DCHP) broadcast flag being enabled in Vista, blocking the router from processing data. In XP and 7 this is disabled, so the router functions.

The link includes an auto fix function. Good luck. It didn't work for me.
Old November 27th, 2010, 11:43 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

try put public dns on pc side with

see if you will get internet .

also try using different encryption
Old December 2nd, 2010, 08:03 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

liw is on a distinguished road

encrypton is the problem. WEP permits internet access, but WPA2 disables it. Something to do with HP, athereos card and vista that the N300 is incompatible with that isn't supposed to be acknowledged.

I've was told WEP was a viable alternative to WPA2 by a router's tech rep. 5 minutes on Youtube can teach anybody how to hack WEP. Next I'll be told to use MAC addresses.

What do you mean "a public dns on the pc side"? I'm just barely literate in this.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM

JayKC is on a distinguished road

I'm having the exact same issue with an HP laptop. Guess I'll be returning this router and going back to a Cisco Linksys...
Old February 7th, 2011, 08:04 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

DavidAk is on a distinguished road

My issue exactly. Please find the solution. This is crazy. Just Googling shows that there is a definite issue between Netgear and Vista wireless. I had FVS318 working in piece for good 7 years at least without any issues. It was maxed up below 6 Mbps, so with cable company providing 30 Mbps I got Netgear 3400 yesterday. What a nightmare with Vista SP2 on HP laptop wireless, which was working flawlessly with US Robotics wireless for good 2 years without any problems. Tried every fri$%n suggestion found online and spent good 2 hours with three different Indian friends from Netgear support. No luck… Somebody in Netgrear, can you look into this a finally post something definitive around here for future folks to use. Stuck and frustrated…
Old February 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

decypher01 is on a distinguished road

the question is what's your wireless adapter?
Old February 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

DavidAk is on a distinguished road

If the question for me, than - Netgear N600 WNDR3400.
Laptop I am having problem with is HP Compaq CQ60-206US with Vista Home Premium SP2 with integrated Atheros Wireless LAN card:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=3872070#N416

Connects just fine and gets IP etc, but reverts to Public network and blocks from accessing Internet...

Works fine without any security though! Once any security (even WEP) is selected - no go...
Any ideas?

Thx!
Old February 8th, 2011, 12:52 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

decypher01 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAk View Post
If the question for me, than - Netgear N600 WNDR3400.
Laptop I am having problem with is HP Compaq CQ60-206US with Vista Home Premium SP2 with integrated Atheros Wireless LAN card:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=3872070#N416

Connects just fine and gets IP etc, but reverts to Public network and blocks from accessing Internet...

Works fine without any security though! Once any security (even WEP) is selected - no go...
Any ideas?

Thx!

are you using current firmware? if not here's the link http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/17216

and try to check your access list...

Advance Wireless Settings >Wireless Card Access List > Should be uncheck/disable. but i doubt that's not it,cause in default it is already disabled.
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:36 PM

JAWolfe04 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with my Windows Vista computer and Netgear N600 router. I found that it is an issue with the network driver. The problem is with the Atheros driver being outdated. To update your driver, I went to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...1&mode=4&idx=1