Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:59 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

TinkRbelle is on a distinguished road
Default Service name in Port forwarding confusing

Hi all

I have a NetGear Wireless Router, Model WGR614v9. I am trying to set it up for remote access and ran into a list of service names on the port forwarding page. The first name in the list for Service name is Age-of-Empire, and clicking the down arrow display a list of other service names that are just as confusing. I don't know what that Age of Empire is, or what the others are for, so I don't think I should use any of them. However, if I choose to add a custom service, I don't know what I should name it. Of if I should add a custom service.

I have had RA on this machine before, but, with another router. The current router was purchased new in March this year, but, this is the first time I have tried to set it up for RA.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old November 28th, 2010, 03:56 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Service name in Port forwarding confusing

Age of Empires is a game, and selecting that service will allow the router to be configured to allow that game to be played - you need to know either the name of your RA methodology or the ports it uses, and you can then look through the list of services for the name, or create a custom service if it is not there.

When creating a custom service you can call it by any name you choose, as long as it has not been used to name an existing service - remote, remoteaccess, ra, tinkrbelle - pick a name.
Old November 28th, 2010, 05:11 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Hi fordem, and thank you for your time to assist.

Not sure how all those names got in there, I don't do gamin on or off line. I am the only one in our house who has access to the router and I know I did not put them there, so that is why I was confused as to how they got there, or what they are for or related to. Nothing appears to be associated with any of them that I can tell. I gather the router came with those service names already loaded when I bought it, as there are two for Netmeeting, FTP, HTTP, Telnet and such.

I will just create a new service as you suggest. Is there a way to remove them from the list? At least the obvious ones for the games, there is one for Quell ll/lll, which appears to be some sort of game as well. I know they are not related to anything being used on any of our computers and not likely to be.

Thanks again for your time and help, I truly appreciate.
Old November 28th, 2010, 06:30 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Netgear puts them there to make things easier for their users - just ignore them.
Old November 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Ok, thank you.