Old November 29th, 2010, 09:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

JaaksRwild is on a distinguished road
Default WNDR3400 poor N signal strength

My new N600 dual band provides great signal strength on the G band and very poor signal on the N band. I need the faster N speed to download video to my Sony Bravia Home Theater system from the Internet. The router is directly one floor below the TV system - less than 8 feet. The signal must pass through a 6" concrete floor. My wireless Lap top gets a strong signal throughout the 2 story house on the N band. Any thoughts or ideas?
Old November 29th, 2010, 10:03 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WNDR3400 poor N signal strength

concrete will bounce back the signal so I would suggest to look power line device
Old November 29th, 2010, 01:35 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Wireless-n is not a band, it's a standard - and it can be used in either the 2.4GHz band or the 5GHz band. Wireless-g is also a standard, but is limited to the 2.4GHz band

Bearing in mind that you're reporting great signal strength on the g band, I have to assume that your router is configured for n operation on 5GHz and g on 2.4 GHz - configure n to operate on the 2.4GHz band and you will get better range than you will on 5GHz.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

JaaksRwild is on a distinguished road

The literature for 802.11n states that it's better than 802.11G for going through concrete and brick walls so the reply doesn't add up, who is right?
I'm only going about 8 to 10 ft. The Netgear spec toutes the N600 as the best for larger multi floor homes and HD video streaming.
The suggestion that I use the G band only doesn't solve the problem for high speed video streaming. G is limited to 54/108mbps whereas N is susposed to support up to 300mbps. another suggestion I found was to shut down the G and only use the N Band; however this means all my other computers and e-devices would have to support N which they don't. Does anyone really understand this stuff and can recommend a practical solution, other than return the product. Would hard wiring the Bravia TV system to the router make a difference?
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Is your Internet faster than 100mbps?

If you have 20mbps broadband then 54mbps on wireless setting dies just fine

Also concrete is a such issues. If you can run cables, run it
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:36 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaaksRwild View Post
The literature for 802.11n states that it's better than 802.11G for going through concrete and brick walls so the reply doesn't add up, who is right?
I'm only going about 8 to 10 ft. The Netgear spec toutes the N600 as the best for larger multi floor homes and HD video streaming.
The suggestion that I use the G band only doesn't solve the problem for high speed video streaming. G is limited to 54/108mbps whereas N is susposed to support up to 300mbps. another suggestion I found was to shut down the G and only use the N Band; however this means all my other computers and e-devices would have to support N which they don't. Does anyone really understand this stuff and can recommend a practical solution, other than return the product. Would hard wiring the Bravia TV system to the router make a difference?
Did you read my post?

I don't think so - or if you did, you didn't understand what I wrote.

Go read it again.

I'm not suggesting that you use wireless-g - I'm suggesting you use wireless-n on 2.4 GHZ.

Wireless-n on 2.4 GHz is capable of 300mbps, AND is backward compatible with wireless b & g.

Assuming the Bravia can be hard wired then yes, a hardwired connection will deliver better performance than wireless.

Another thing - which literature states that wireless-n is "better than 802.11G for going through concrete and brick walls" ? I'm going to take a bet, that you're misinterpreting that literature, and you'll continue to do do until you grasp the facts that I stated in my first response - neither wireless-g or wireless-n is a band, they are standards.

Last edited by fordem; November 30th, 2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

msnancy is on a distinguished road

Well said.