Old March 24th, 2007, 11:38 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Pnoosy is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614: Cannot Obtain IP Address

After my WGR614 has worked perfectly for a week, now I cannot obtain an IP address from on wireless computer - even after installing a new adapter.

Is there a problem with the router? How can this be fixed?

Thank you.
Old March 25th, 2007, 03:16 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: WGR614: Cannot Obtain IP Address

Have you scanned for wireless networks? Have you changed the network name (SSID) from the default ĎNetgearí?
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Mug View Post
Have you scanned for wireless networks? Have you changed the network name (SSID) from the default ĎNetgearí?
I can SEE the network under the SSID name I have set up. It's just that when I try to connect to it, the computer gets stuck acquiring the IP address, never succeeding to connect.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tonysdca is on a distinguished road

I am having the exact same problem many of you describe. I had used my Netgear router for a year before this problem started. My ISP is Road Runner.
I am able to connect through the router with the LAN, but the wireless is not able to obtain and IP address. I have spent hours on the phone with Dell and Road Runner updating drivers, testing - and I am beginning to think it is the Router.

I think this will be my last Netgear Router. The $ for tech support after 90 days is ridiculous.
Old March 26th, 2007, 10:04 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysdca View Post
I am having the exact same problem many of you describe. I had used my Netgear router for a year before this problem started. My ISP is Road Runner.
I am able to connect through the router with the LAN, but the wireless is not able to obtain and IP address. I have spent hours on the phone with Dell and Road Runner updating drivers, testing - and I am beginning to think it is the Router.

I think this will be my last Netgear Router. The $ for tech support after 90 days is ridiculous.
I tend to agree that it's the router. I tried to isolate everything else, but it all comes back to the router.

Don't write off Netgear just yet, however. I've had many problems with other brands, too. Sometimes it's just simpler to go out and get a new unit. It's going to cost you less than tech support, that's for certain.
Old March 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

wiredsonx is on a distinguished road

Just a question on this hence i'm experiencing similar problems with different router & wireless card though. What are the common causes of the wireless PC not able to renew the IP address? does the wall/distance interference between the router and the PC one possible cause?...
Old March 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredsonx View Post
Just a question on this hence i'm experiencing similar problems with different router & wireless card though. What are the common causes of the wireless PC not able to renew the IP address? does the wall/distance interference between the router and the PC one possible cause?...
I don't think physical obstacles cause this. In fact, you may find that your wireless client is receiving a strong signal. Quite literally, that computer is not receiving an address from the router. The question is, why.

Since we have not yet received an answer to that from anyone on the board may mean that nobody actually knows the answer. Thus, that makes the router's DHCP's ability to assign an IP address questionable.
Old March 27th, 2007, 08:02 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

regalma1 is on a distinguished road

I think you summarized it perfectly. My system use to work just fine. Then I disabled the wireless connection to my laptop and converted to an ethernet connection. For various reasons I am trying to set up the wireless again. It will not find the IP address. I thought it was because of the stupid, undocumented IBM connection software on my Thinkpad. Now it appears more likely that it is Netgear. I sure wish I knew before I tossed the Netgear equipment. It did work perfectly at one time. In fact up till I removed it from my stereo system my SlimServer media server had no problem at all with its wireless connection.

Do you think that Netgear pays any attention to these forums or are they just their way of getting out of the responsibility of supporting their products? Their documentation is worthless with a capitol W. It is actually insulting, in my opinion. Though it is no worse than IBM's whose solution to everything is "contact your System Administrator".
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

ronmicha is on a distinguished road
Default WGR614 Need help setting up MacPro Tower w/ VAIO laptop

My Netgear 614 v6 on a MacPro 10.4.8 was connecting fine to my Sony XAIO laptop WinXP Home Edition with WEP/PSK security set up and running fine. I did somethingódonít know what or when but now my wireless connection is gone. Can someone help me get it back like it was? Iíve got my original set up note which look like a lot of jibberish. I canít seem to get back to the original Netgear setup page that I used the first time which was at www.routerlogin.net. The interface looks different. I want the one that allowed me to choose basic settings, passwords, security features, etc. The new page Iím getting shows me Knowledge base and a lot of stuff I donít need. Can anyone help with the info Iíve provided. Iíve probably left out some things but let me know if I can provide any additional help to get me up and running.
Thanks.
Ron
Old March 29th, 2007, 11:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Default Re: WGR614 Need help setting up MacPro Tower w/ VAIO laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmicha View Post
My Netgear 614 v6 on a MacPro 10.4.8 was connecting fine to my Sony XAIO laptop WinXP Home Edition with WEP/PSK security set up and running fine. I did somethingódonít know what or when but now my wireless connection is gone. Can someone help me get it back like it was? Iíve got my original set up note which look like a lot of jibberish. I canít seem to get back to the original Netgear setup page that I used the first time which was at www.routerlogin.net. The interface looks different. I want the one that allowed me to choose basic settings, passwords, security features, etc. The new page Iím getting shows me Knowledge base and a lot of stuff I donít need. Can anyone help with the info Iíve provided. Iíve probably left out some things but let me know if I can provide any additional help to get me up and running.
Thanks.
Ron
Enter 192.168.1.1 into your browser and you'll get into the router's configuration page.