Old December 14th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

ron351 is on a distinguished road
Default When to use 5G on router

I searched and turn up no results when looking when to use the 5g on the AV router I have.
I mean is this basically used only for streaming a video from a directv box and things like that.
Also everything seems to use 2G and if we use 2 computers on 2G and 2 computers on the 5G would that be better for surfing the net.
Like I have 2 kids who go online and play World of Warcraft would it be better for them to be on the 5G or don't that matter.
Really didn't get much as far as info with the new router.
Old December 14th, 2010, 10:13 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When to use 5G on router

If you live in an area with lots of other networks operating on the 2.4GHz band then using that band you will suffer from contention where all networks have to negotiate with each other (that includes the client devices) for air-time, they cannot transmit simultaneously. In that case it is often much more clear on the 5GHz band, and unlike the 2.4GHz band 5GHz channels do not overlap.

If you are not in a high contention area then using 5GHz and 2.4GHz bands at the same time can help to separate high volume traffic from low volume random traffic.

One problem with 5GHz is that people see a significantly lower signal strength than the 2.4GHz band, however quite often the data throughput can still be higher on the 5GHz band due to the lack of contention.

My name is Andy.
Old December 15th, 2010, 04:55 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

not only 5Ghz has less range over 2.4Ghz yet it will help on saturated area but people has complain when both band is used on these dual band, performance degrades so I would use on one single band only to peform better
Old December 15th, 2010, 09:35 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Thanks mars and jmi for your replies.
I see 2 other wireless networks in the area. We are the only one displaying a 5G so with only 2 in the area we may be ok just on the 2.4 then.
Guess I can play around and try both and see if any difference in them.
Our router is only like 15 feet from all laptops which we use 3 of and a wireless print server in the basement running a DVR for security cameras.
The WiFi printer is next to the router and 3 playstations and directv are hard wired to the router.
I just wondered if the 5G was only intended for streaming stuff like readyshare or mediaserver from directv.
I guess if it isn't broken, don't fix it right.
Thanks for your replies.
Wish there was more instructions with this router.
Ron
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:08 AM

Ghz is intended for connectivity and one does not make better than other

All about the interference matter and 2.4ghz is quite saturated so next public available freq. was 5ghz thus higher the freq. range becomes less stronger
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizoguchi View Post
Ghz is intended for connectivity and one does not make better than other

All about the interference matter and 2.4ghz is quite saturated so next public available freq. was 5ghz thus higher the freq. range becomes less stronger
Ok sounds good to me, didn't know this.
It will give me things to try then.
Thanks for the answers and your time.
Ron
Old December 16th, 2010, 05:53 AM
NETGEAR Addict

htismaqe is on a distinguished road

If you're like me, there's one significant reason to use the 5Ghz band - you have devices on 2.4Ghz that cannot do 300Mbps N.

So far, I haven't noticed a significant performance hit from running both bands together. However, running mixed G and N clients on the 2.4Ghz band DOES produce a significant drop in performance.

By using both bands, I can separate the 54Mpbs-only devices (Nintendo Wii and HP Printer) from devices I want to run at 300Mbps (XBox 360) and have all of them function at their maximum.
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
If you're like me, there's one significant reason to use the 5Ghz band - you have devices on 2.4Ghz that cannot do 300Mbps N.

So far, I haven't noticed a significant performance hit from running both bands together. However, running mixed G and N clients on the 2.4Ghz band DOES produce a significant drop in performance.

By using both bands, I can separate the 54Mpbs-only devices (Nintendo Wii and HP Printer) from devices I want to run at 300Mbps (XBox 360) and have all of them function at their maximum.
This was kind of the answer I was looking for, I couldn't see why 2 bands and rate of speed were there and only using 1 and the other sit.
I thought that the 5G may of been there to only use for streaming from device to tv or tv to laptop watching video or movie recorded from directv and things like that.
I may do just as you and set up the devices that pull more bandwidth and see what happens.
makes sense to me
Old December 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM

you should read other thread on both band enabled on performance

I would say issue could be person to person but this type of question has been raise since the release of 3700 so you should able to read up on more

5Ghz do have more channel so that is plus over 11channel choice in US for 2.4Ghz
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:59 AM
NETGEAR Addict

htismaqe is on a distinguished road

Be wary of cordless phones. 5Ghz phones are pretty much the standard anymore and they WILL intefere - I have first-hand experience with this.

As far as the performance issues with running both bands at the same time, I tend to look at thinks from a practical standpoint.

My network pretty much centers around my GigE-attached NAS. I found that it can do somewhere around 60Mpbs read/write to a machine attached via GigE.

The maximum real-world throughput from 2.4Ghz G is around 22Mbps, well below what my NAS can handle. Even WITH the 5Ghz band enabled, the PCs I have on the 2.4Ghz band (speed fixed at 54Mbps) write to my NAS at around 20Mbps. So if there's a performance hit there, it's negligible.

I have 2 PCs with AE1000 5Ghz adapters. They can write to the NAS at around 50Mbps. That's more than double the performance of the 2.4Ghz band. It's also nearing the maximum throughput I observed from my NAS with a wired 1000Mbit connection, meaning the NAS itself is likely as much of a bottleneck as the 5Ghz wireless band.

My DSL connection is 5Mbps, well below the capabilities of both bands. So from a practical standpoint, why do I NEED more performance out of the 5Ghz band, if it is in fact being impaired by having both radios enabled? The answer is I DON'T.

By comparison, I have an Asus EeePC with an Atheros 2.4Ghz N adapter. If I enable N mode on the 2.4Ghz band, the throughput of the 2 PCs mentioned above drops to about 11Mbps or half of what they can achieve with both radios enabled.

If you're down to the lesser of two evils, enabling both radios is the way to go in my opinion. It MAY cause a performance hit but using mixed mode on 2.4Ghz absolutely WILL cause a performance hit.