Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old December 16th, 2010, 01:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

jrm125 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Frustrated with DLNA Media Server

I've noted a few other posts on here, but none of them have been able to help.

My WNDR3700 is updated with the latest public firmware. The unit is around a month old. I have a 2 GB external drive hooked up to it with around 300 GB of pics, videos, and music.

For the first 3 or 4 days the DLNA server functioned properly. It was visible to all my DLNA clients and updated properly. Since then it is no longer active. It doesn't seem to matter if I reduce the amount of files (some people suggested the database was too large), or if I reset the router, or if I disconnect and reconnect the hard drive.

NOTHING get the DLNA server going again. I've tried through the firmware interface but the buttons essentially don't seem to do anything.

I was also told to telnet in and run some commands. I did this, and the DLNA server starts but ONLY as long as telnet is running (which sort of negates the need for the router with external storage in the first place).

Is there a better way, or is this something I'll just need to wait for a firmware fix for?

Thanks all.
Old December 22nd, 2010, 02:31 AM

dsri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Frustrated with DLNA Media Server

I also had this problem, i was not able to see the dlna option in my tv. this happned when i set the read password for the usb drive. when i remove the password i was able to see the dlna drive in tv. but again i am not able to see all the files and videos from this hdd only some are shown, not sure what is the problem here
Old December 22nd, 2010, 03:41 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ZepDad is on a distinguished road

I am experiencing the same on/off problem with DLNA server on my Win7 system. It will run ok for several days and then simply disappear. Can usually get it back up (eventually) with unplug/replug of external HDD. At worse a router reboot. Very unreliable.

In fact, I'm finding the DLNA server on this router to be nearly worthless due to flaky uptime and slow NTFS writes. Being able to serve media to DLNA-ready equipment around my home--with my primary computer off--was a major factor in my purchase decision. As it is now, it takes forever to move a few GB of video to my HDD and the server may not even be up when I want it. Hopefully, the upcoming firmware will solve these issues.

Note to dsri: It's possible your DLNA-ready TV can't see some files because the files are not compatible. Each DLNA device must, at a minimum, meet the DLNA format standard (MPEG-2 video); anything more is optional by the equipment manufacturer. See here http://www.dlna.org/industry/why_dln.../media_format/

The best way around file incompatibility is to use an "active" server like Mezzmo. It will transcode most files on-the-fly and deliver compatible video to your DLNA device. Of course, using an "active" server requires a host computer be always-on. The WNDR3700 DLNA server, on the other hand, is "passive" (my choice of word). It can't transcode on-the-fly; files must be device ready (DLNA compatible at a minimum) when they are placed on the WNDR3700 server. This means that the files will need to be manually transcoded before moving to the server; however, the benefit is that an always-on host computer isn't required. All this assumes, of course, that the WNDR3700 server is actually up!!
Old January 6th, 2011, 01:41 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Anyone have any luck solving these issues with the new .98 firmware? I haven't...and the new firmware has just added more problems.

I'm really frustrated with Netgear. I switched after years with Linksys, and this is supposed to be their flagship product. It seems like it gets little to no support and does NOT perform as advertised.
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Daddu is on a distinguished road

In my case I could not be happier with the latest firmware (1.0.6.98). this one finally solved all the problems I had with DLNA disappearing every 3-4 days. My solution then was to power cycle the router, but it was very annoying.
Now I have to deal with some pages (browsing) timing out.
The latest firmware has been a clear improvement for me, but it is far from a good one.

Daddu
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Is there a pattern to which sites on yours? I might bite the bullet and try again...but I need my web pages working.

Last edited by Mars Mug; January 7th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Daddu is on a distinguished road

Have not found a pattern. The one that "misbehaves" the most is Amazon.com. Nonetheless, it just means to click on the link again and the page loads fine.
But the fact that I have not rebooted the router for already 7 days and 7 hours is a major accomplishment.

The way I upgraded was to first backup the settings (I know people don't recommend to load setting from an older firmware, but I have too many reserved IPs to do it again), then load the new firmware. After the router rebooted, using a paper clip, reset the router to factory settings. Then reloaded saved settings and voila.

Daddu
Old January 6th, 2011, 03:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I may have to give it a shot. My big gripe is that my DLNA always petered out after a few days, but if you've been going for 7 that's around twice as long as I ever made it.

Hopefully they quickly address the new issues.

Last edited by Mars Mug; January 7th, 2011 at 08:55 AM.