Old March 26th, 2007, 05:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ScottRawson is on a distinguished road
Default Wireless Router Suddenly Stops Working

I have a home network with a DSL modem hooked into a VPN Firewall which then connects to a Netgear wireless router. Overnight yesterday, suddenly, the wireless connection does not work. My laptop no longer sees the wireless connection and I have tried shutting down and restarting every piece of equipment multiple times. The laptop cannot see the former wireless connection. On my wireless router, the internet light on the front of the unit no longer lights up. When I restart, it and the check light come on, but the internet light goes out with the check light and the only lights that I see power and the applicable connection port light. I do not know what triggered this and am at a loss as to how to fix it.
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

Forum_Moderator is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wireless Router Suddenly Stops Working

Hi ScottRawson and welcome to the Forum.

Have you tried a different ethernet cable on the internet port of the wireless router? Also which wireless router is it? Can you still access the admin page on it?
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

ScottRawson is on a distinguished road

Okay, I tried moving the cable to a new port on the router. It is a WGR614v5, btw. No joy. I cannot access the admin page on my laptop. In fact, the previous wireless network that enabled connectivity does not show up when I refresh network list.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:42 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Venki is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Wireless Router Suddenly Stops Working

Hi
Thought I'll use this thread since my question is also connected to WGR614v5.
My router is connected to my desktop via an ethernet cable. The cable modem is connected to the router.
Of late, the orange light on my cable modem stops flashing, intermittently. So we temporarily lose the internet connection which is causing problems for my son who plays on the XBox, his session gets terminated and he gets very annoyed
When I checked with the cable guys, they said it is probably an issue with the router since the modem tests produce the 'desired' results.
My router is perhaps around 4 years old.
Any idea if the router is 'spent' (it is hot when I touch it) and or do you think I can do something to fix the router - assuming it is a router issue.
I had upgraded it with the latest firmware available (v1.0.9_1.0.6)
Thanks for your help!
Venki
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venki View Post
Hi
Thought I'll use this thread since my question is also connected to WGR614v5.
My router is connected to my desktop via an ethernet cable. The cable modem is connected to the router.
Of late, the orange light on my cable modem stops flashing, intermittently. So we temporarily lose the internet connection which is causing problems for my son who plays on the XBox, his session gets terminated and he gets very annoyed
When I checked with the cable guys, they said it is probably an issue with the router since the modem tests produce the 'desired' results.
My router is perhaps around 4 years old.
Any idea if the router is 'spent' (it is hot when I touch it) and or do you think I can do something to fix the router - assuming it is a router issue.
I had upgraded it with the latest firmware available (v1.0.9_1.0.6)
Thanks for your help!
Venki
first, see router reset on my sig below and do step 1 and see