Old December 30th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Blenky is on a distinguished road
Default How does the NeoTV handle TV seasons?

Does the built in database handle TV series\seasons OK?
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:02 PM
NETGEAR Addict

Ian_F is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How does the NeoTV handle TV seasons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blenky View Post
It works great but it does rely on some effort on your part to organise things in a manner that the Neo can understand. I've put together a little how-to which explains some of the logic the Neo uses to determine what constitutes a TV series etc. See here: NeoTV 550 TV Series handling.

You don't have to use cover art or tags to make it all work but things look nicer in the UI if you do.

Let us know how you get on
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

ron7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I can only speak with authority about the 9xxx, but I believe it is similar enough to the NEO to say, not as such, but by following a simple convention, they will handle series beautifully. Without TAG's, the "database" simply lists media files in sorted filename order, per directory. Adding a TAG will over-ride the filename and cause the list to be sorted by TAG name.

So you just need to name you media files so they sort in series and episode order. If you want to auto-tag your tv series, you might consider using this naming convention:

Code:
name.SxxEyy.typ
Where:
name is optional, but it helps if it is the series name.
xx is the series number as two digits (ie 01, 02, etc)
yy is the episode number, again with a leading zero where required
typ is the media type, obviously

Some like to add the episode name after the sxxeyy data, but that is a bit redundant as tools like tagtool and TagSuite will automatically add that into the title which you'll see on screen. The media files should be placed in a folder named for the series. If you like, you can put further sub-folders in it; "Season 1", etc, but all seasons can happily live in the same directory and you can get to them with one less click.

The tools mentioned will automatically create full tags for the episodes following this convention, including images.

If you have a lot of DVD's, I recommend AnyDVD to rip from disc to iso (takes care of any copy restrictions), then VID2EVA to split the iso's into individual episodes. You can keep the iso's, but that wastes space and you can't create individual tags (obviously ).

There are other ways to do it, but this one requires the least work for you in the end.

EVA9150 (Wired), HDMI -> B&O Beosystem3 -> B&O plasma.
Neo550 (Wired), HDMI -> 42" LCD in the sunroom, used occasionally.
EVA8000 (in the lab for TagSuite testing)
EVA700 (in the closet, unused and unloved)
Panasonic DMR-BW500 bluray, HDMI -> B&O Beosystem3.
Apple TV (Wired) HDMI -> B&O Beosystem3.
Foxtel IQ, SCART -> B&O Beosystem3.
Phillips TSU-9600 Pronto, IR -> [all the above]
NETWORK & NAS:QNAP 529 pro (5x1.5TB, RAID5), QNAP TS-209 (2x250MB, RAID0), D-Link DNS-323+ (2x1TB, RAID1), Linksys SD2008 10/100/1000 8 port switch, Netgear FS105 10/100 5 port switch in media cabinet.
Visit the TagSuite Home Page at http://tagsuite.org
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

Blenky is on a distinguished road

Thanks ron7 and Ian_F for your excellent replies. Seems it works pretty similar to YAMJ media jukebox I use on my Popcorn Hour.

YAMJ can handle DVD ISO seasons and episodes as follows

TVseriesname.S01E01E02E03E04.iso

For the above YAMJ would create 4 entries for each episode in Season 1 with plots and episode screen shot but each entry would obviously open the same ISO. Can this be done on the NeoTV.

Not really a biigy as I don't have that many DVD ISOs
Old December 30th, 2010, 04:45 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

ron7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks ron7 and Ian_F for your excellent replies. Seems it works pretty similar to YAMJ media jukebox I use on my Popcorn Hour.

YAMJ can handle DVD ISO seasons and episodes as follows

TVseriesname.S01E01E02E03E04.iso

For the above YAMJ would create 4 entries for each episode in Season 1 with plots and episode screen shot but each entry would obviously open the same ISO. Can this be done on the NeoTV.

Not really a biigy as I don't have that many DVD ISOs
Not as far as I know. Netgear defines a 1:1 relationship between a TAG and media file based on the (case sensitive) media file name without the extension. Besides, the name of the actual related media file is not stored in the TAG, so the scheme could not work on EVA/NEO.

Splitting up your iso's with VID2EVA is really simple and not only fixes the tagging problem, it will generally reduce the disc space consumed to one half that of the raw iso with no loss in quality. You loose subtitles though, if this is a requirement for you.

EVA9150 (Wired), HDMI -> B&O Beosystem3 -> B&O plasma.
Neo550 (Wired), HDMI -> 42" LCD in the sunroom, used occasionally.
EVA8000 (in the lab for TagSuite testing)
EVA700 (in the closet, unused and unloved)
Panasonic DMR-BW500 bluray, HDMI -> B&O Beosystem3.
Apple TV (Wired) HDMI -> B&O Beosystem3.
Foxtel IQ, SCART -> B&O Beosystem3.
Phillips TSU-9600 Pronto, IR -> [all the above]
NETWORK & NAS:QNAP 529 pro (5x1.5TB, RAID5), QNAP TS-209 (2x250MB, RAID0), D-Link DNS-323+ (2x1TB, RAID1), Linksys SD2008 10/100/1000 8 port switch, Netgear FS105 10/100 5 port switch in media cabinet.
Visit the TagSuite Home Page at http://tagsuite.org
Old December 31st, 2010, 01:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

dasx is on a distinguished road

What I do after tagging every episode in the show is structure them in folders. For example:
/Lost
>/Season1
>>S01E01
>>S01E02
>>S01E03
[...]
>>S01E24
>/Season2
>>S02E01
[...]

And so on. When you navigate to your "TV Shows" folder, you'll see Lost, Walking Dead, 24... whatever. Then inside every folder, you can see another folder for each season, and inside of them you have all the tagged episodes with their thumbnail and so.

I don't know of any other way to do it. You can put every episode together in the same folder and the NTV550 will successfully order them, but I think the folder structure makes it more nice. You can add a folder.jpg with the cover of each season and you're done.