Old January 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Zainday is on a distinguished road
Default IPV6 Questions.

I have windows 7 and comcast cable.
When I go to enable ipv6 (in the router menu), the screen opens up more...
I selected Auto Detect and it ended up going with 6to4 Tunnel.
Router shows Router's IPv6 Address On WAN and a number below it.
Then shows Router's IPv6 Address On LAN and has a number below it.
Set IP Address Assignment To Auto Config.
IPv6 Filtering set to Open.

Shut down cpu's , unplugged router and modem, rebooted modem, then rebooted router. Started up cpu's.

But both my wired and wireless laptop both say in network status
IPv4 Connectivity : Internet
IPv6 Connectivity : No Internet Status.

So what's up with that? I've never used ipv6, so if anyone has any suggestions, let me know....
Old January 7th, 2011, 05:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cwestpha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IPV6 Questions.

Comcast is in limited IPv6 trials in some areas of the country. Understand that IPv6 comes in many flavors at this time. 6to4 is a way to allow IPv6 to IPv6 connections over an intermediary IPv4 based network. Internet 2 and other pure IPv6 networks.
For proper working over 6to4 (comcast's intermediary method), it requires a few things. First a router that supports 6to4 (check). Next an OS that supports IPv6 (check). Next a DNS server that has a solid IPv6 routing table with proper support of IPv6 routes having higher priority then IPv4 (not check). Lastly that the ISP be assigning IPv6 addresses to its customers routers over the IPv4 connection for the tunnled IPv6 network (in limited testing).

As you can see there are two issues that could be stoping you. First you need a good DNS server with proper support of IPv6 routing and proper bad handling. I suggest switching your DNS server to Google DNS service for these features.
Next you need to be in an area they are doing the 6to4 testing and thus can get a public correctly assigned v6 address. Comcast added much of the underlaying capability in their DOCSYS 3.0 rollout but some areas they aren't fully testing.

To test how far they are along add the Google DNS as your DNS of choice to the router instead of Comcast's, restart the router and nextwork... and see if you get a properly assigned IPv6 address. Localy your router should ALWAYS have an IPv6 address as long as you have it enabled on your router. If not you get nothing or a v6 loopback/private IP.

I recommend testing here to see if it is working correctly: http://test-ipv6.com/

If you are in a lucky market like mine that comcast is working on IPv6 natively you will get a 4 or 5 out of 10. v6 large packets, v6 without DNS, and full v6 DNS test will fail or be bad with Comcast's DNS server. With google DNS added to the mix I get everything but full v6 passing and thus a 7 out of 10. Goggle hasn't yet made its DNS full v6 (addressable directly by a public IPv6 address with an v6 address of its own with returns of proper v6 addresses).

You can also try by going to ipv6.google.com and trying to browse google's IPv6 ONLY web servers.
Old January 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks for the information...

Got 2 questions though...

When you say switch to googles dns servers are you refering to the
dns server numbers? or is there different ones specifically for ipv6?

Also you mention docsis 3.0.
Do you need docsis 3.0 to achieve ipv6 connections?

I currently have a docsis 2.0 modem.
I tried the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as my dns servers and restarted everything
but i'm still getting and IPv6 Connection : No Internet Access when viewing
my adapters on both cpu's....

Let me know...Thanks Alot!
Old January 7th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced NETGEAR User

KGB7 is on a distinguished road

Unless you tell your router to use google DNS, by manually assigning DNS. You will still go through your ISP DNS first.
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:24 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Yes, I assigned the router those numbers (google dns).
I don't use comcasts dns , I normally run Opendns servers.
Just didn't know if those were the ones he was refering to.
Old January 9th, 2011, 07:56 AM

jfesler is on a distinguished road

To start off with: I'm not a fan of unmanaged or automatic 6to4. If you must use 6to4, I'd recommend explicitly having a tunnel provisioned.
Automatic 6to4 (unless the ISP is doing 6to4-PMT - in discussion states at this point), you're at the mercy of the 6to4 relay nearest you *and* the one nearest the web site you're trying to reach. You're also at the mercy of your firewall letting this work at all. 6to4 has no feedback mechanism to tell your host "this isn't working -disabling 6to4!".

As a Comcast customer, the good news is, they do provide a relay, close to you. You just can't control the reverse path. Part of the price of "automatic". They are also only running it as part of a trial - no support, and they may or may not keep it after the trial. http://www.comcast6.net/6to4-config.php for details.

For 6to4 managed tunnels, I'm a huge fan of tunnelbroker.net, ran by Hurricane Electric. Several people have told me that SixxS and gogo6/freenet6 are also good stuff; I have experience only with tunnelbroker. That said, if your firewall or your router is what is blocking it, this won't work much better.

If you have a router that Comcast says works with "6rd", you might find a lot better success with that. Any IP space you get via that mechanism will be Comcast's instead of anonymous; meaning that Comcast controls the translation gateways in both directions. http://www.comcast6.net/6rd-config.php . Being that this is a Netgear forum, I suspect this is a non-starter.

With respect to DNS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwestpha View Post
As you can see there are two issues that could be stoping you. First you need a good DNS server with proper support of IPv6 routing and proper bad handling.
Only to reach sites that *only* have IPv6 name servers - a rarity right now.

Existing DNS servers, including OpenDNS's and Google's, can return "AAAA" records without being on the IPv6 internet. IPv4 can serve DNS data just as easily as IPV6.

It is true that your choice of DNS servers can affect whether "google.com" comes back as IPv4 only, or IPv4+IPv6 (look up "google dns whitelisting").

Quote:
I recommend testing here to see if it is working correctly: http://test-ipv6.com/
I admit, I'm biased. I like that one!

Quote:
If you are in a lucky market like mine that comcast is working on IPv6 natively you will get a 4 or 5 out of 10. v6 large packets, v6 without DNS, and full v6 DNS test will fail or be bad with Comcast's DNS server. With google DNS added to the mix I get everything but full v6 passing and thus a 7 out of 10. Goggle hasn't yet made its DNS full v6 (addressable directly by a public IPv6 address with an v6 address of its own with returns of proper v6 addresses).
To be very clear: The "v6ns" test on test-ipv6.com is not testing whether or not you're talking to the DNS server over IPv6. It is instead checking to see if the DNS server you are using, has *access* to IPv6, to connect to IPv6-only DNS authoritive servers (which will be very rare throughout 2011). It won't matter if you talk to that DNS server via IPv4 or IPv6; just so long as it is in turn able to do IPv6.

OpenDNS and Google's public DNS both fail the above test; and yes, you'll get only a score of 7 out of 10 for the stricter IPv6 test. Same is true of Comcast (I believe this is still true, at least - I'm not a subscriber).

If you are using tunnelbroker.net, their AUP permits you to use 2001:470:20::2 as a name server. This name server *will* pass the v6ns test.

Another alternative, for those of you technically inclined: run your own instance of named (in resolving mode - not forwarding!), on a bsd/linux box that has access to your IPv6 network.

-jfesler
test-ipv6.com
Old January 9th, 2011, 02:47 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cwestpha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zainday View Post
Thanks for the information...
Also you mention docsis 3.0.
Do you need docsis 3.0 to achieve ipv6 connections?
Sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this... WAAAAY to much Kinect Sports and software testing for me recently. ^.~
No DOCSIS 3.0 is NOT mandatory for 6to4 tunneling. Its just they started rolling out the changes as they switched to DOCSIS 3.0 equipment on their end as part of the infrastructure upgrades to roll out new services.
Now for native IPv6 when IPv4 dies out or they realize 6to4 isnt all that great, you will most likely need DOCSIS 3.0 equipment simply because most earlier equipment doesn't have the firmware support for IPv6 native/only networks. 2.0 equipment can be firmware upgraded to support IPv6, but since DOCSIS standards have the ISP pushing out configuration and most firmware updates "modem" side... Comcast and others would rather upgrade or have you buy 3.0 or newer equipment to maximize consistency and increase some efficiencies in the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zainday View Post
I don't use comcasts dns , I normally run Opendns servers.
I used to use OpenDNS too until I got my first IPv6 supporting router (this is my 2nd). Problem is OpenDNS is even further behind Comcast when it comes to implementing IPv6 DNS side. With them I would get a 2/10 for the IPv6 testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfesler View Post
To start off with: I'm not a fan of unmanaged or automatic 6to4. If you must use 6to4, I'd recommend explicitly having a tunnel provisioned.
Well if I remember correctly 6to4 was created by Cisco. Which means it works great when only running Cisco products in an end to end managed situation. ;p

Quote:
If you have a router that Comcast says works with "6rd", you might find a lot better success with that. Any IP space you get via that mechanism will be Comcast's instead of anonymous; meaning that Comcast controls the translation gateways in both directions. http://www.comcast6.net/6rd-config.php . Being that this is a Netgear forum, I suspect this is a non-starter.
I think 6rd is supported in this hardware only through open source firmwares available through third parties (all non-stable). As such I wouldn't recommend it for anyone reading this thread.

Quote:
To be very clear: The "v6ns" test on test-ipv6.com is not testing whether or not you're talking to the DNS server over IPv6. It is instead checking to see if the DNS server you are using, has *access* to IPv6, to connect to IPv6-only DNS authoritive servers (which will be very rare throughout 2011). It won't matter if you talk to that DNS server via IPv4 or IPv6; just so long as it is in turn able to do IPv6.
My mistake, I should have phrased that better.

Quote:
OpenDNS and Google's public DNS both fail the above test; and yes, you'll get only a score of 7 out of 10 for the stricter IPv6 test. Same is true of Comcast (I believe this is still true, at least - I'm not a subscriber).
Actually OpenDNS more then just fails this one, OpenDNS Fails/BAD almost everything (as far as DNS tests go). Comcast is better but still has issues mostly with the above pure IPv6 readiness psudo-test and the larger packets that helps make IPv6 awesome. Thats why I use GoogleDNS because at least they support 6to4 and almost all the fun stuff.

Quote:
If you are using tunnelbroker.net, their AUP permits you to use 2001:470:20::2 as a name server. This name server *will* pass the v6ns test.
True, but isn't this more of a cheat of the test then a true pass result? I understand the site cant do a full IPv6 readiness only test, but it seems like its suposed to be the next best thing to testing when IPv4 goes legacy or is depreciated from common use.
Old January 31st, 2011, 06:57 AM

jfesler is on a distinguished road

Looks like Comcast is starting to do production deployments now. Hopefully more vendors will be able to get gear on the shelves (or firmware upgrades!) to support native dual stack using the variety of means that various ISPs are having to deploy with.

http://blog.comcast.com/2011/01/comc...er-docsis.html
Old January 31st, 2011, 08:00 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

troystarr is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I've discovered two major problems (for me) with the IPv6 support introduced with the 1.0.6.98 firmware. I run Windows Small Business Server in my network and it's configured to be the DHCP and DNS server for the network.

1. When enabling IPv6 support in the router, there is no option to say that an external device should be the DHCPv6 server. If I have "Auto Config" selected in the router, it will advertise its IPv6 prefix via the router advertisement. If I have "Use DHCP Server" selected in the router, it will respond to my computer's DHCPv6 broadcast requests and assign an IPv6 address itself. It will not pass those DHCPv6 broadcast requests on to my SBS machine so that it can respond and assign the IPv6 address to the client. As a result, all devices will get their IPv6 addresses from the WNDR3700 router instead of my SBS machine. I would prefer to allow my SBS machine to handle all IPv4 and IPv6 address assignments via DHCP and DHCPv6.

2. Even more critically, the WNDR3700's IPv6 router advertisements and DHCPv6 responses identify itself as the DNS server for the IPv6 protocol. Windows gives preference to the DNS server for the IPv6 protocol over the DNS server for the IPv4 protocol. As a result, my computers will not send their DNS queries to my SBS machine, so they're unable to resolve the names of other computers in the network for authentication, accessing file shares, remote desktop, etc. This effectively breaks my ability to use SBS to run my network.

For typical home Internet users, none of these issues should pose a problem. But for someone like me, it required me to disable IPv6 support while I was running the 1.0.6.98 firmware. I've reported these issues to Netgear, so hopefully future firmware revisions will offer more flexibility.

- Troy
Old February 13th, 2011, 01:36 PM
NETGEAR User

bimmerdriver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by troystarr View Post
Unfortunately, I've discovered two major problems (for me) with the IPv6 support introduced with the 1.0.6.98 firmware. I run Windows Small Business Server in my network and it's configured to be the DHCP and DNS server for the network.

[deleted]

For typical home Internet users, none of these issues should pose a problem. But for someone like me, it required me to disable IPv6 support while I was running the 1.0.6.98 firmware. I've reported these issues to Netgear, so hopefully future firmware revisions will offer more flexibility.

- Troy
Did the new firmware address the issues you raised above? I am thinking about setting up a tunnel using tunnelbroker, but I don't want to bang my head against the wall if it's not going to work. I will raise a trouble ticket if the IPV6 support in the latest firmware doesn't work.