Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Adapters > RangeMax Adapters

Old January 7th, 2011, 08:21 PM

rrjnr is on a distinguished road
Default How to setup WN2000RPT as a wireless repeater?

Hello,

I just purchased a WN2000RPT to extend my network throughout my house, but I ran into issues after following the brief setup instructions.

Firstly... it seems to have created a parallel network rather than just extending the range of my original network... This doesn't work for what I'm trying to use it for.

I've read a few things in these forums and I believe I might need to set it up as a "wireless repeater"... essentially I just want to extend my original signal, and be able to access it as if I was sent by the original modem/router.

Are there any instructions on how to set it up as a repeater? (if that's the right thing to do?)

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Additional Details
Modem/Router: Netgear CG814WG
Range Extender(misleading name): Netgear WN2000RPT
Old January 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

msnancy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to setup WN2000RPT as a wireless repeater?

Range Extender, Range booster, Universal Extender, whatever term they call it, it is the same function - Its a Repeater! WN2000RPT is made for that purpose.

Hard reset the WN2000RPT, and follow the steps on the manual 'Connect a PC to the Extender with an Ethernet Cable'

Here is the manual:

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WN..._UM_8Dec10.pdf
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:24 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Wrong... Repeater and Extender is two different thing.

REPEATER setup will require WDS (wireless distribution systems) on BOTH devices to cross reference the Mac address and Encryption

EXTENDER setup does NOT need WDS. It scans the existing network and connects to the MAIN wireless router with SSID/Encryption like you would do with any WIFI devices

WPS is also a stronger/safer +plus easy setup if CGXX has WPS buttons then you cause WPS to setup by the WPS key usually listed in the label attached to the outside of CGXX and use that key when are in the interface of WNR200RPT

manual are pretty clear on setup for you
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 8th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

msnancy is on a distinguished road

Range Extender and the Repeater are different in the configuration, I already know that already. no need to explain it to me.

Try to analyze what ive said. And you read this again:

Quote:
Hard reset the WN2000RPT, and follow the steps on the manual 'Connect a PC to the Extender with an Ethernet Cable'

Here is the manual:

I've NEVER said anything about WDS.
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:16 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

jamierawr88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnancy View Post
Range Extender, Range booster, Universal Extender, whatever term they call it, it is the same function - Its a Repeater! WN2000RPT is made for that purpose.

Here is the manual:

im sorry i had to just create an account to tell you on how wrong you are

a Extender and Repeater are two seperate things

a Extender is what this product is, it creates a ext accsess point that tunnles the connected device to the main modem/router, not only does this create cluter on the wifi network, and the hassle of switching which access point (the extender or the modem/router) is closer to you, it also slows the speed of data coming through,

a repeater, just simply repeats the orginal wifi signal, without having to add another access point, in simple it just magnifies the wifi signal of the modem/router, it also doesnt slow its speed, much more useful imo

and lastly the link you gave, how about you go read it all, NOT ONCE does it give info on using the product as a REPEATER, please make sure your FACTS are correct before posting in forums, as you in your first post you clearly have no idea what your talking about

now as for the OC's question, unfourtunly at current you can not use the the wn2000rpt as a repeater, i also made this mistake in buying it thinking i could use it as a repeater >.< oh well it was only $65 and it still is fast if you got fast net

keep on eye out on dd-wrt firmware for it, which will turn it into a repeater, they might make one sooner or later
Old June 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM

disatistied1 is on a distinguished road

Best way to setup is to not waste your time and throw it out the window. I fought with mine long enough and got an Amped brand which works great.

Netgear and others take note: In order to get an RMA, you have to go through tech support. If you are beyond the 90 day period it will cost you to talk to tech support, no matter how many firmware upgrades and hours spent trying to patch this thing together. If your stupid enough to go that route, then you will have to cough up the cost of shipping both ways sending your $69. item for an inspection. At least it's only $69., but the time spent was the expensive part.

This actually has a 90 warranty in my opinion.
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:48 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

vmguy is on a distinguished road

Has firmware resolved this problem?

I'm trying to resolve the wireless extension issue for a v2 router in France.
( walls constructed in 1503 are a bit thicker than we're used to ).

The people I'm assisting have a similar setup in the UK; it simply does not
work in France.

Does the latest firmware resolve the problem?

Yes: The NetGear can attach to a LiveBox router.
No: the connection cannot reach the outside network.
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

orangedoors is on a distinguished road

I have the Wn2000rpt and need to install it at a friend place which have already 6 ip cameras with static ip (2 of these cameras send low signal)), conncted through his latest AT&t u-verse 2wire router. Are you saying I won't be able to use it to only extend the signal.?
Will I have to go and change those 2 cameras setup for everything to work smooth.?
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:57 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

orangedoors is on a distinguished road

Did you manage to use the wn2000rpt as you wanted.. Been trying to do that with 3600 2wire U-verse router.
1st I had to change the ssid, and was able to connect to the internet with the extender, yet, no matter what I tried to do on foscan Ip camera or on the router setting, couldn't watch any of the cameras remotely as long as it was connected to the extender.:-(
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:16 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Seems very common that reaching behind extender is an issue
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com