Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old January 14th, 2011, 03:17 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

cmacandrew is on a distinguished road
Default Netgear WNDR3400 as an access point

We have a small business network running Win. 2003 smalll business server. We added a new employee who has a laptop. He is connected to the netgear wireless router. He can connect to the internet, but cannot connect to the internal network, so he also cannot print. Is the problem that we need to set the new netgear wireless router as an access point? If so what is the correct procedure? I have already changed the ip of the router to 192.168.1.253. What else do I need to do. Once we changed the router to an access point, he should be seen on the internal network, correct? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.
Old January 14th, 2011, 03:51 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Netgear WNDR3400 as an access point

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/965
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:01 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

The cable that goes betw. the router and the wireless access point ( Netgear WNDR3400) do you use a standard cat5 cable, or does it need to be a crossover cable. Thanks in advance for you help.
Old January 15th, 2011, 10:06 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Straight CAT5 cable is fine

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 18th, 2011, 07:08 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I followed the instructions in the article. After I setup up the wndr3400 as an access point. the wireless computers found the wireless network but could not obtain a network address. Is this some dhcp conflict. Our other router is a netopia 8735wg-ent which is not supported anymore. For some reason we cannot log in to the router interface. I checked our network printer and one of the computers on the network, the network printer had an ip of 192.168.0.200. The computer had an ip of 192.168.0.138. But since I cannot log into the other router, I really don't know the dchp range. Is there anyway of finding the dhcp range? If the other routers ip is 192.168.0.1 and all the computers are over 192.168.0.100. Would it be a good thought to try to set the wireless router to something like 192.168.0.50. If I did change the wireless routers ip to 192.168.0.50 and disabled dhcp, will I still be able to log into the wireless routers interface?
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:36 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

netopia

ex
device IP192.168.0.1
dhcp
192.168.0.2~192.168.0.50

wndr3400

ex
device IP 192.168.0.51 ( OUTSIDE of dhcp range fo main router

** do NOT use internet port on 3400 when connecting to netopia. LAN PORT to LAN PORTS

you can LOGIN both at 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.51

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:25 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

I was thinking that setting up the wireless router as an access point is not the way to go. The new employee is only 30 feet from the equipment closet. Because we do not know the username and password to the netopia router, I will thinking wouldn't it be a better solution to just replace the netopia router with the Netgear Router. There are only 5 machines on the network plus one network printer. The router would be connected to a switch, so we would not need to use the ports on the router. Our current setup is the router is connected from port one on the router to port one on the switch. The router is connect to the internet with a cat5 cable from mybrighthouse's equipment (we have both internet access and phone service with them.) I am just thinking this is a better solution, than using than using the Netgear Wireless Router as an access point. Every computer's ip seems to be betw. 192.168.0.100-192.168.0.200. I was thinking of changing the routers ip to `192.168.0.1 and setting the DHCP range to above (100-200). Do you think this is a better solution than just using the Netgear Router as an access point??
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

then replace with whatever the BROADBAND MODEL ISP or provided and use WNDR as router

"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

Old January 26th, 2011, 01:55 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

For now we decided to stay with with Netopia till after tax season. (We are an accounting firm). You had told me to setup the wireless router as an access point by doing the following:

Netopia
192.168.0.1 device ip
dhcp 192.168.0.2 ~192.168.0.50

wndr 3400
device ip 192.168.0.51

Here is what I tried to do>
We cannot log into the Netopia as we do not know the username and password.

However I found on the Netopia site that the default dhcp range is
192.168.1.100~192.168.0.200
I checked our computers they are all over 100 Our printer is 192.168.0.100

I set the wireless router as follows:
ip 192.168.0.201
dhcp turned off

I received the following error:
The ipaddress conflicts with the wan ip subnet. Please use a different ip address. If I run ipconfig on a desktop attached to our network I receive the following:
default gateway 192.168.01
dhcp server 192.168.0.1
dns server 192.168.0.2

if I run ipconfig with the machine attached to the wireless router I receive

default gateway 192.168.1.1
dhcp 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.0.2

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

tech008 is on a distinguished road

We have a small business network running Win. 2003 smalll business server. We added a new employee who has a laptop. He is connected to the netgear wireless router. He can connect to the internet, but cannot connect to the internal network, so he also cannot print. Is the problem that we need to set the new netgear wireless router as an access point? If so what is the correct procedure? I have already changed the ip of the router to 192.168.1.253. What else do I need to do. Once we changed the router to an access point, he should be seen on the internal network, correct? Any help and advice is greatly appreciated. >>>

- Do you have any separate server that handles your local network on all of your employee's pc? coz if you have , that device needs to be reconfigured, its not within the settings of your router because his pc itself can connect to the router wirelessly via the internet.

- cannot do a print job?
The printer software or utility needs to be installed in his pc as well so that he can manage and connect to the printer. But what you need to secure first is that he must be cable to access on all of network files locally via Intranet. This setting setup can be done in your office server device that handles your local networking , not within the settings of your router