Old January 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM

mikevarela is on a distinguished road
Default Use SECOND wireless router as access point

I'm aware of the sticky above (thanks for posting that).

I haven't been able to get this question answered though.

I have a cable modem and a Netgear Rangemax Next wireless router with N serving my house with both wired connections and a wireless signal. The signal is great for laptops, but smaller devices like phones and ipods can't reliably connect. I also want more ports in the living room for devices so I've decided to boost my wireless signal and add ports out there. I know a standard access point and switch would do it, but I'm more inclined to buy another router and use that as the access point.

According to the document (sticky), I'm to assign the new router a lan ip outside the DHCP range of router1(my internet router). I'm also to turn off DHCP on router2. Then I'm to connect router2 to router1 via lan to lan port (no WAN).

My question is this, I'm confused about the ssid's. I'd like the transition around the house to be seamless when using wireless. I'm not really interested in having 2 ssid's so is that possible? Also, I'd like to maintain the WPA2 security I have - is that also possible?

I've also garnered that I should statically assign the connected devices and lock down the wireless channels opposite for the two routers, so maybe channel 1 on router1 and channel 6 on router2.

Again, I'd like to boost my wireless signal around the house at the same time add ports in the living room (where router2 would be). I've decided to use two Netgear wireless routers for this.
Old January 18th, 2011, 07:32 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Use SECOND wireless router as access point

Quote:
My question is this, I'm confused about the ssid's. I'd like the transition around the house to be seamless when using wireless. I'm not really interested in having 2 ssid's so is that possible? Also, I'd like to maintain the WPA2 security I have - is that also possible?
you can do either way.. roaming require same SSID but you really want same wireless model

if not use different SSID name instead

Quote:
I've also garnered that I should statically assign the connected devices and lock down the wireless channels opposite for the two routers, so maybe channel 1 on router1 and channel 6 on router2.
that would work....