Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Wireless Networking Products for SOHO applications > Wireless Router & Modem Gateways > 802.11b/g/n Routers > All 802.11 b/g/n Routers

Old February 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Juanhanded is on a distinguished road
Default Router to make Printer wireless?

I have an HP PSC 2200 printer(an all-in-one,fax,photo,scanner,printer),it is several years old,but it does have a USB port.It still works well enough.

I would like to be able to print from my laptop from elsewhere in my home.

I have a wireless router a WGR614v10 that I use for my wireless signal,however running a wire to that router from where the printer is now located is impractical.Can I use a seperate router for the printer only?

My computer's wireless is only "G" not "n".
Thanks so much!
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM

sgood is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Router to make Printer wireless?

You should be able to go into the computer that the printer is hooked up thru and go to the Printer settings and make is usable thru network. Once you have done that you will have to go to your laptop and search for a printer and it should find it, add it and you should be good to go as long as the main computer is on.
Old February 10th, 2011, 03:56 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The printer is not hooked up to a desktop computer currently.When I want to print from it,I bring the laptop over to it and connect them via USB cable.I'd like to be able to command it to print from anywhere in the home wirelessly.

I can't get the printer near the wireless router that I use for the laptop because of the different locations of the phone and cable jack,I need to keep the printer near the phone jack for it's use as a FAX machine.The wireless router is hooked to a cable modem.
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

What you need is a wireless print server - try the WGPS606 - and when I say try, that's exactly what I mean, not all printers can be shared using a print server.

The alternative is to buy a printer with integrated wireless capability, and at this point I will warn you - you can expect problems printing large files (photographs in particular) - I have an HP OfficeJet 8000 that is connected to the network via wireless, I can print most documents to it from a laptop that is also connected by wireless, but, large files are slow and frequently fail - the data to be printed has to be sent from the laptop to the access point (router) and then from the access point to the printer, and since the access point can not receive & transmit at the same time, it really slows things up.
Old February 10th, 2011, 04:23 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have an HP PSC 2200 printer(an all-in-one,fax,photo,scanner,printer),it is several years old,but it does have a USB port.It still works well enough.
buy new printer that is network ready. you will be wasting time for non USB printer at todays technology. old printer like that is not going to work well in network unless you share the printer from the PC that is connected
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:36 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

As I type this I have fired up a laptop that I retired 2 years ago,it has a wireless card(g).I'm going to connect it via USB to the printer.I just plugged it into the Netgear router via Ethernet cable and am letting it download Windows updates and AVG updates.

I should be able to leave it connected to the printer and make it part of the wireless network,no?
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:17 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

jmizoguchi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
buy new printer that is network ready. you will be wasting time for non USB printer at todays technology.
omit the Non but if you can use spare PC to use with it , it will be better.

some of the older AIA, MFC has difficult to work with print server. software/driver does not supported
*Visit the site for Non-VPN related Doc & Links* [Windows & Mac user/support]

Most Other Useful Docs -"General Technical Documentation", "Router Reset", "Router Setup", "Print Server Tips", "Remote Admin"
"Wireless Tips"

Forum Policy

June Mizoguchi-i....@vpncasestudy.com
Old February 10th, 2011, 08:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

It took a while for the 2nd laptop to download all of the updates it needed,I'll have to set it up tomorrow.I now have it connected to the internet via the ethernet cable.What do I need to do to connect it to the wireless network?
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:12 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Another issue related to the permanent hookup of the 2nd laptop to the printer...is there a way I can let that computer hibernate and then "wake it up" with the wireless router? Rather than have that 2nd laptop be powered on all of the time?
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Advanced NETGEAR Expert

msnancy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanhanded View Post
It took a while for the 2nd laptop to download all of the updates it needed,I'll have to set it up tomorrow.I now have it connected to the internet via the ethernet cable.What do I need to do to connect it to the wireless network?
If you google "file and printer sharing", you'll be suprise to see alot of website that provides guide on this.

Quote:
Another issue related to the permanent hookup of the 2nd laptop to the printer...is there a way I can let that computer hibernate and then "wake it up" with the wireless router? Rather than have that 2nd laptop be powered on all of the time?

Try to configure the power management:

http://forums.techarena.in/portable-devices/1260734.htm