Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Stora Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old February 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Jeppe Jeppe is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Jeppe is on a distinguished road
Default Cant read my Hard disk

Hi I upgraded my Stora NAS Box to a ReadyNAS box because it broke. In the deal I got my old 1TB hard disk inserted in this new Ready NAS box. But I cant read the content of my hard disk now. All my old files are hidden there somewhere and I have no clue to access it now.
I see there is a large partition maybe 800 GB but it has no Drive letter and just wont be visible even if I insert in my computer as another drive.
I only see the new folders That Ready Nas made during the first boot and setup.

What can I do to get all my pictures back ??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
methuselah_'s Avatar
methuselah_ methuselah_ is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,071
methuselah_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

Quote:
I got my old 1TB hard disk inserted in this new Ready NAS box.
Did you plug the old 1TB drive from Stora to the ReadyNAS and set it up (created a volume/configured RAID)??

Sounds like you did..

Quote:
I only see the new folders That Ready Nas made during the first boot and setup.
A drive from Stora cannot be read on the ReadyNAS, at least not by just swapping the drives around. If you are seeing the Media and Backup share from the ReadyNAS, then it must have formatted the drive already and the data you have from the Stora is gone.
__________________
"I make no claims to be an expert; I have got things wrong in the past and will again in the future." ~Mars Mug, Netgear Forums
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
Jeppe Jeppe is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Jeppe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

I have 2 partitions on the Disk. When I set it up to my PC I see a large partion around 800 GB and the smaller one. The Large one is the Stora partition. In Windows 7 I dont get a drive letter to either partitions so I cant see them with tools like Recuva.
I could of course try buy a new Stora and insert it to see if it still find the data, but I thought maybe there were tools to find it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:09 AM
hoppo1 hoppo1 is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 283
hoppo1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

Stora uses XFS filesystem. you need to mount the disk in Linux to see what's on it. It you search around the forum there's lots of posts about how to boot a windows box using a CD or USB
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:34 AM
mjhamilton mjhamilton is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Expert
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 252
mjhamilton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

or install a copy of UFSExplorer and mount the drive on a w7 system using a USB cable or enclosure.. all your data can then be retreaved
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Jeppe Jeppe is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Jeppe is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

I did boot with A Ubunto 10.10 on my pc now.

I ran the xfs_check with various parameters and I think now I run it with no errors.


I can mount the disk but all I see is Lost+found and a lot of folders containing numbers.

I have no idea if this contains anything valuable yet. But I will go through these folders now to verify if any of my pictures are there. I will let you know if I find anything :-)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Jeppe Jeppe is offline
Junior Member
NETGEAR Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Jeppe is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Cant read my Hard disk

It seems that I found all my data.

Those folders in Lost+found with numbers like 3221225608 contained a lot of garbage but some folders had the entire data structure of my missing files.

I have copied them on another harddisk now to look them over. I noticed they are write protected in Windows, but I can still work with them.... pheww

So what I think made the difference:

1. I downloaded Ubuntu burned it to a DVD and started it on my PC running from CD.

2. I ran some Disk tool from Ubunto to verify my Disk settings and see if the drive was ok

3. I used the xfs_xxxx commands I found on this board, to fix my drive errors.

4. I mounted the disk and found the Lost+found folder.

5. the Lost+found had maybe 400 folders named with only numbers. I had almost 200 GB of data in Lost+Found. So it from here I only needed to check each folder if it contained my data.

6. Now I copied those folders I needed to another harddrive and I am now reorganizing all my files again.

more or less this was what helped me get my data back....


Thank you for the time you put into explaining me how to recover it guys :-)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:51 AM
mjhamilton mjhamilton is offline
Senior Member
NETGEAR Expert
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 252
mjhamilton is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppe View Post
It seems that I found all my data.

Those folders in Lost+found with numbers like 3221225608 contained a lot of garbage but some folders had the entire data structure of my missing files.

I have copied them on another harddisk now to look them over. I noticed they are write protected in Windows, but I can still work with them.... pheww

So what I think made the difference:

1. I downloaded Ubuntu burned it to a DVD and started it on my PC running from CD.

2. I ran some Disk tool from Ubunto to verify my Disk settings and see if the drive was ok

3. I used the xfs_xxxx commands I found on this board, to fix my drive errors.

4. I mounted the disk and found the Lost+found folder.

5. the Lost+found had maybe 400 folders named with only numbers. I had almost 200 GB of data in Lost+Found. So it from here I only needed to check each folder if it contained my data.

6. Now I copied those folders I needed to another harddrive and I am now reorganizing all my files again.

more or less this was what helped me get my data back....


Thank you for the time you put into explaining me how to recover it guys :-)
I had that same issue using UBuntu.. when I used UFSExplorer all the files were there along with the structure so it was a simple copy and paste to recover.....

.... try the free copy to see if this works for you also... I would n't like to have to go and restructure all my files again
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:09 AM.