Go Back   NETGEAR Forums > Home Products > Storage, Entertainment, Print Servers & VOIP Devices > Stora Forum

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:14 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Jeppe is on a distinguished road
Default Cant read my Hard disk

Hi I upgraded my Stora NAS Box to a ReadyNAS box because it broke. In the deal I got my old 1TB hard disk inserted in this new Ready NAS box. But I cant read the content of my hard disk now. All my old files are hidden there somewhere and I have no clue to access it now.
I see there is a large partition maybe 800 GB but it has no Drive letter and just wont be visible even if I insert in my computer as another drive.
I only see the new folders That Ready Nas made during the first boot and setup.

What can I do to get all my pictures back ??
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:41 PM
NETGEAR Addict

methuselah_ is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cant read my Hard disk

Quote:
I got my old 1TB hard disk inserted in this new Ready NAS box.
Did you plug the old 1TB drive from Stora to the ReadyNAS and set it up (created a volume/configured RAID)??

Sounds like you did..

Quote:
I only see the new folders That Ready Nas made during the first boot and setup.
A drive from Stora cannot be read on the ReadyNAS, at least not by just swapping the drives around. If you are seeing the Media and Backup share from the ReadyNAS, then it must have formatted the drive already and the data you have from the Stora is gone.
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:05 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I have 2 partitions on the Disk. When I set it up to my PC I see a large partion around 800 GB and the smaller one. The Large one is the Stora partition. In Windows 7 I dont get a drive letter to either partitions so I cant see them with tools like Recuva.
I could of course try buy a new Stora and insert it to see if it still find the data, but I thought maybe there were tools to find it.
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:09 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

hoppo1 is on a distinguished road

Stora uses XFS filesystem. you need to mount the disk in Linux to see what's on it. It you search around the forum there's lots of posts about how to boot a windows box using a CD or USB
Old February 15th, 2011, 01:34 AM
NETGEAR Expert

mjhamilton is on a distinguished road

or install a copy of UFSExplorer and mount the drive on a w7 system using a USB cable or enclosure.. all your data can then be retreaved
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:29 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

I did boot with A Ubunto 10.10 on my pc now.

I ran the xfs_check with various parameters and I think now I run it with no errors.

I can mount the disk but all I see is Lost+found and a lot of folders containing numbers.

I have no idea if this contains anything valuable yet. But I will go through these folders now to verify if any of my pictures are there. I will let you know if I find anything :-)
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:29 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Smile Re: Cant read my Hard disk

It seems that I found all my data.

Those folders in Lost+found with numbers like 3221225608 contained a lot of garbage but some folders had the entire data structure of my missing files.

I have copied them on another harddisk now to look them over. I noticed they are write protected in Windows, but I can still work with them.... pheww

So what I think made the difference:

1. I downloaded Ubuntu burned it to a DVD and started it on my PC running from CD.

2. I ran some Disk tool from Ubunto to verify my Disk settings and see if the drive was ok

3. I used the xfs_xxxx commands I found on this board, to fix my drive errors.

4. I mounted the disk and found the Lost+found folder.

5. the Lost+found had maybe 400 folders named with only numbers. I had almost 200 GB of data in Lost+Found. So it from here I only needed to check each folder if it contained my data.

6. Now I copied those folders I needed to another harddrive and I am now reorganizing all my files again.

more or less this was what helped me get my data back....

Thank you for the time you put into explaining me how to recover it guys :-)
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:51 AM
NETGEAR Expert

mjhamilton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeppe View Post
It seems that I found all my data.

Those folders in Lost+found with numbers like 3221225608 contained a lot of garbage but some folders had the entire data structure of my missing files.

I have copied them on another harddisk now to look them over. I noticed they are write protected in Windows, but I can still work with them.... pheww

So what I think made the difference:

1. I downloaded Ubuntu burned it to a DVD and started it on my PC running from CD.

2. I ran some Disk tool from Ubunto to verify my Disk settings and see if the drive was ok

3. I used the xfs_xxxx commands I found on this board, to fix my drive errors.

4. I mounted the disk and found the Lost+found folder.

5. the Lost+found had maybe 400 folders named with only numbers. I had almost 200 GB of data in Lost+Found. So it from here I only needed to check each folder if it contained my data.

6. Now I copied those folders I needed to another harddrive and I am now reorganizing all my files again.

more or less this was what helped me get my data back....

Thank you for the time you put into explaining me how to recover it guys :-)
I had that same issue using UBuntu.. when I used UFSExplorer all the files were there along with the structure so it was a simple copy and paste to recover.....

.... try the free copy to see if this works for you also... I would n't like to have to go and restructure all my files again