Old April 1st, 2007, 01:52 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

whahppnd is on a distinguished road
Post WGR614v.7: ip got changed to 10.0.0.1

Newbie here, so pls. be gentle ..

In the midst of initial setup, I got a message saying that the router ip addr got changed to 10.0.0.1 to avoid ip conflict. I just want to understand why this happened, when my modem (SBC Speedstream 5100b) ip addr is 192.168.0.1 .. there shouldn't be any conflict.

Besides, the WGR614 v.7 I installed for my Mom earlier this yr .. the default router ip addr was 192.168.1.1. Shouldn't it be the same this time around? Now, the default ip gateway is also that strange 10.0.0.1 instead of the modem's 192.168.0.1.

I'm able to connect to the internet and also wirelessly on the lappy, so I shouldn't complain. I just want to know if this is all okay or am I going to have problems when I start networking other devices like a printer. Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2007, 05:01 PM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WGR614v.7: ip got changed to 10.0.0.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by whahppnd View Post
Newbie here, so pls. be gentle ..

In the midst of initial setup, I got a message saying that the router ip addr got changed to 10.0.0.1 to avoid ip conflict. I just want to understand why this happened, when my modem (SBC Speedstream 5100b) ip addr is 192.168.0.1 .. there shouldn't be any conflict.

Besides, the WGR614 v.7 I installed for my Mom earlier this yr .. the default router ip addr was 192.168.1.1. Shouldn't it be the same this time around? Now, the default ip gateway is also that strange 10.0.0.1 instead of the modem's 192.168.0.1.

I'm able to connect to the internet and also wirelessly on the lappy, so I shouldn't complain. I just want to know if this is all okay or am I going to have problems when I start networking other devices like a printer. Thanks.
in the middle of setup.. what were you doing. on your pc or in the rouer settings..

make sure your using encrypted wireless such as WEP, WPA, WPA2 .
if not and you and you wireless is open plus if you leave your router to default password then anybody can change the setting to your router.. even access your network ...
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

Quote:
in the middle of setup.. what were you doing. on your pc or in the rouer settings..
I simply was using the setup wizard .. Within the router config interface I got the message that the router ip was changed to 10.0.0.1. Has this happened to anyone else?? Is this Netgear's new workaround to having to do a bridge with the Speedstream 5100b for install/connection issues?

(And yes, I'm using encrypted wireless and I changed the router password ..)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 06:06 AM

jmizoguchi is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by whahppnd View Post
I simply was using the setup wizard .. Within the router config interface I got the message that the router ip was changed to 10.0.0.1. Has this happened to anyone else?? Is this Netgear's new workaround to having to do a bridge with the Speedstream 5100b for install/connection issues?

(And yes, I'm using encrypted wireless and I changed the router password ..)
Speedstream has nothing to do with it. also you should put your speedsteream as bridge mode to work better with netgear router (call isp for how to make bridge mode).

speedstream Lan ip without bride mode may cause to WGR to behave like is not something I have seen but try bridge mode and that will take care of 192.168.0.x range from speedstream which will not be the same as WGR.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:59 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Thanks, June .. I'll give bridged mode a try.