Old February 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM

imaximax1 is on a distinguished road
Default Port Forwarding Help - something blocking ports

i have opened ports before, I'm not (completely) new to this and don't need a link to portfoward.com

My problem is i got a new modem/router ( a NETGEAR DGN2000) , and i can't forward a port for gaming reasons, for example, port 27015. When i opened the port, and used a port checker, it times out.

I then checked a heap of ports on GRC's Shields up and got this:
Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth

---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

so i played around with settings, and now when i forward a port on the modem, it appears as CLOSED on port-checkers, (rather than stealth or time-out)

as you can probably tell by now, i really have no idea what i'm doing, just clicking before i can read.

i have turned off windows firewall& defender, i have AVG free and spybot-search&destroy, and a NETGEAR DGN2000
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:41 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Mars Mug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Port Forwarding Help - something blocking ports

If you open port 27015 then you really need to scan that specific port, scanning ports 0-1055 isnít going to help. There is an option at GRC to scan a specific port.

My name is Andy.
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

fordem is on a distinguished road

Forgive me for asking, but, how are we supposed to respond to these ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaximax1 View Post
i have opened ports before, I'm not (completely) new to this and don't need a link to portfoward.com

My problem is i got a new modem/router ( a NETGEAR DGN2000) , and i can't forward a port for gaming reasons, for example, port 27015. When i opened the port, and used a port checker, it times out.

I then checked a heap of ports on GRC's Shields up and got this:
Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth

---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

so i played around with settings, and now when i forward a port on the modem, it appears as CLOSED on port-checkers, (rather than stealth or time-out)

as you can probably tell by now, i really have no idea what i'm doing, just clicking before i can read.

i have turned off windows firewall& defender, i have AVG free and spybot-search&destroy, and a NETGEAR DGN2000
I have a suspicion that the example port specified may not be the one you are trying to forward - Andy has already pointed out that you need to make sure your "port checker" is in fact checking the correct port - there are two more things I'd like to point out...

First - your ISP may choose to block specific ports - this is frequently done to enforce restrictions that relate to the terms of your contract. For example, if you have a contract that says no server hosting, you may find that the ISP blocks inbound connections to port 80 (http), port 443 (https), and port 25 (smtp) - these are just a few, my ISP blocks a much longer list.

Second - when you forward a port, the router simply forwards inbound traffic arriving on it's WAN interface, on that port, to the internal address you specify - you need to ensure there is a host at that address, and that the host is running a process that will accept a connection on that port, and that the process will respond in the manner that your "port checker" is expecting.
Old February 24th, 2011, 07:26 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

BrianG is on a distinguished road
Arrow Re: Port Forwarding Help - something blocking ports

Also simply forwarding the port in your router settings it's enough to stop the port coming up as STEALTH.

The incoming packets from the port tester need to be forwarded by the router into a PC which is running the correct software that responds to incoming packets on that port in a fairly conventional way so that the port checker will see something coming back and know that something is there.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:09 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

In_need_of_help is on a distinguished road

I too am having a similar problem. I have hooked security cameras to my laptop via a USB 2.0 video capture device and then installed Windows Media Encoder 9 and got that up an running. I am running a Netgear WNR2000v3 router and a Comcast supplied Motoroloa Modem.

Inside my home network everything works great, I can watch the cameras from any of the laptops I have connected to the router. However following every direction I have found on the internet I can not access them from outside my home network, meaning from work, etc.

I've talked to Comcast and Netgear and done everthing I can think of, but I think something with the router is blocking access from outside. When setting up the WM encoder the "URL for internet connections" is a number I have no idea what it is because it's not even close to the computers IP address and when I try to enter it: 127.0.0.1ort# into port forwarding in the router setting it says it is not a vaild address.

I am at my wits end with this, any help will be greatly apprecitated.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 10:46 PM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by In_need_of_help View Post
and when I try to enter it: 127.0.0.1ort# into port forwarding in the router setting it says it is not a vaild address.
That is the PC localhost address, data sent to that address does not escape the computer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/127.0.0.1

Useful for things like testing software without letting data out onto the LAN/WAN.

To access the cameras from outside your network you need to use your public IP address (the Internet IP Address in the Router Status page).

So in your case it would be http://98.204.xxx.yyy:{Port number}

This will only work if you use that address from a PC outside your own LAN, your router does not support loopback which would allow you to use the public IP from within your LAN.

You also need to make sure that you have set up the appropriate port forward rule in the router, e.g. if the camera uses port 12345 then set up a forwarding rule to forward WAN access to port 12345 to the camera IP address.

Avoid using port 80, the camera should allow you to select a port number, if so use a number higher than 1024, e.g. 12345 or 55555, must be below 65536.

Your office network admin may restrict access to things like home IP cameras, you might want to check with them.

The camera should be set with a static IP address so that it does not change, that port forward rule needs to target an IP that will not change, either set a static IP in the camera or use DHCP Address Reservation in the router.

And lastly if your public IP address is subject to change i.e. your ISP does not provide you with a static IP then use a service like DynDNS to keep track of your public IP.

My name is Andy.
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:44 AM
NETGEAR Newbie

Andy,

Thank you for the info, with your help I now think the router is set up properly because when I run "Port Checker" it says it is open and working. However when I try to access the footage from outside my home network I keep getting the following error message:Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct.

Here is my set up:
1. Cameras are hooked to a laptop via a plug in USB video capture device
2. Laptop has Vista operating system
3. I installed Windows Media Encoder 9 and have that working, video is great and everything works fine between computers inside my home network.
4. NetGear WGN20003v Router
5. Motorola SB modem from Comcast Cable
6. Opened a free Dyndns account to get around the dynamic IP addresses from comcast.

I have tried to access the broadcast from my laptop on a Verizon wireless card using both Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer and no luck with either one. The error message above is from WMP.

The question is, am I missing something? Do i need to have something like Windows Media Server 2003 to make this work or will the encoder do the trick? If I need a server program what would you recommend? I am not committed to "Windows Media" products because I want to do this as economically as possible. These cameras are in a barn watching calving pens for cows and need to be able to see what's going on when no one is home so they are only used 3-4 months of the year.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. I am no computer wiz and now I am at my wits end. I have called Netgear, Comcast, visited the Geek Squad and no one seems to know a thing about this stuff. I an trying to avoid a security company because I don't want to pay an annual fee for something I use 3 months out of the year.

Thanks,
Kenny
Old March 24th, 2011, 05:57 AM
NETGEAR Fanatic

Iím not at all familiar with the capture device you are using, I only use Network IP cameras which are far easier to set up and access remotely.

What is the make/model of the video capture device you are using, does it come with good detailed instructions?

My name is Andy.
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
NETGEAR Newbie

The device manufacture is "Capture" and viewing program is "Clear-Logic QuickCap" and no it doesn't have hardly any directions. That is why I installed Windows Media Encoder 9 and that is what I am trying to access remotely from outside my home network.

Do you know anything about Windows Media Server?
Old April 5th, 2011, 10:10 AM

clamdigger is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Port Forwarding Help - something blocking ports

We have FVG318. It has been in operation for some time and working properly. The cable (Comcast) modem needed to be replaced with a new one, which is in bridge mode.

I can connect to the to the router and administrate it. I can ping the router and it responds. We use www.dyndns.com to dynamically support our domain. That domain responds to nslookup.

However ports forwarded for ssh, telnet or ftp do not seem to be working. This was not a problem as little as a week ago.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.